Okuma Andros 511 Tutorial

Started by ReelSpeed, January 29, 2011, 01:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Halibut,
With the Andros (and many other lever drag reels) the 'binding' is felt as a resistance to the cranking of the handle. In freespool there is no resistance to rotation. As more drag is applied the handle becomes harder to turn. At full drag this resistance is very noticeable. The 'binding', or resistance, is caused by two bearings being operated outside of their design parameters. The left spool and right side plate bearings. When a side load (axial) is applied to a radial (normal) bearing it tries to push the inner race sideways. The result being exessive friction because it was not designed to do this. Thrust and angular contact bearings are designed for axial loading. The standard radial bearings will have a much shorter life because of this  :(.

Halibut

ok now i understand and yes, i have noticed this "resistance". Surely i will try to get a couple of those angular contact bearings.
Thank you noyb72 and Tiddlerbasher.

Halibut

Once again, thanks! So if i got it right reading this schematics  -http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1802.0-  the bearings marked "0910472"(pinion?)
and 0910475(left spool?) that causes the binding problem and should be exchanged with the above mentioned angular bearings?
Grateful in advance  :)

Tiddlerbasher

Halibut
The bearings to change are part nos 0910472 and 0910447 (and NOT 0910475 - doesn't exist on my schematic  ???).

Halibut

Tiddlerbasher
I see and understand, the schematics i refered to must be old. When i checked the one that followed the reel and not the one i found on internet, ther's no "0910475"
Anyways thanks again.

Mudman

Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone had luck with purchasing the angular contact bearing? I'd love to do this, but having a tough time finding it.

Tiddlerbasher

I got mine from this company http://www.gmnbt.com/
Be warned you need deep pockets - they aint cheap :(

There was a noticeable improvement on my Andros BUT I can get the same effect, with original bearings, just back-off the preset to 10lb at strike (20lb full). For it's intended use that is still pleanty of drag ;)

Mudman

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 23, 2015, 11:05:30 AM
I got mine from this company http://www.gmnbt.com/
Be warned you need deep pockets - they aint cheap :(

There was a noticeable improvement on my Andros BUT I can get the same effect, with original bearings, just back-off the preset to 10lb at strike (20lb full). For it's intended use that is still pleanty of drag ;)
Thank you, I have mines set at about 25% anyhow, 10 will be perfect.

Arthur1

Any other sources for those bearings? I called the company today and it would be over $200 for a pair of those bearings! I love my little Andros but the handle binding issue makes me want to retire it, I already bought a Penn Fathom 2 speed to compensate lol.

Tiddlerbasher

As I originally said "you need deep pockets for the bearings".
IMHO it's not worth it - I did it as an engineering exercise, that's all ;)
On the original Andros 5 (with OEM Japanese bearings) set the drag to 10lb at strike - it will be about 20lbs at full more than enough for this line class of reel (50-60lb braid).
I've caught plenty of fish to nearly 200lb on this reel, most of the time never getting past strike!
Save your money and buy a new power knob ;D

Arthur1

Thank you for the reply. I was indeed shocked at the sticker price of those bearings! A new power knob or a gym membership!

Tiddlerbasher

Power knob is cheaper than gym membership ;D ;D