What is this?

Started by r77toy, December 21, 2015, 05:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Why that appears to be an 'A-Square Fluid Hub' antibacklash device..

of course...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12463.30

This same question was just asked not too long ago.  

They were manufactured in MA, sold in the 1950's and were available for Penn and Ocean City reels.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

r77toy

Thanks, that was quick!
Does anyone collect oddballs like this?

Tightlines667

Sure.  Early aftermarket ad ons could be considered collectable.  Not sure on the value.  It would be worth more if it was in its origional box with instructions included.  I wouldn't mind having one in my collection of early Penns and Ocean City reels. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

nelz

Ok, this caught my attention today as it was mentioned in another post. So all I've read so far is "what" this device does, but I want to know "HOW" does it do it? What is the mechanism involved? ???

Is it perhaps like a Squidder's air brake but inside an oil filled container?

mo65

Quote from: nelz on January 04, 2022, 09:53:52 PM
Ok, this caught my attention today as it was mentioned in another post. So all I've read so far is "what" this device does, but I want to know "HOW" does it do it? What is the mechanism involved? ???

I haven't seen any detailed explanation Nelz...only this flyer description. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

???  How does the spool shaft connect to the device ?    Friction fit ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Gfish

Yeah. Also you can put different viscosity oils in there to slightly adjust the pressure on the spool. I got a Jiggy with one on it, but found that the thing was in the way of my left hand. Also this particular one musta been smacked-on pretty hard, as it would tweak if bumped and put noticeable extra pressure on the shaft while casting.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

According to a 1950 patent, there are fins that rotate through an inhibiting viscous liquid.  Thicker liquid=more resistance.  There is a direct shaft connection via a sleeve and pin arrangement applied at the end of the spool shaft at/near the point where the stock bushing would be.

A 1930's patent actually states one of the intents is to prevent the frustrated angler from "discarding" the reel due to backlashes.  Kinda funny to read that in a formal document. 
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

Gfish

HA!, the good ol' days when people adhered to ideas like "honesty is the best policy".
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shellbelly

Amen!.   Reading that, I could almost hear the "sploosh" of a 1930 knuckle buster hurled overboard.  Today, we'd jump in for that reel!
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)

jurelometer

Quote from: nelz on January 04, 2022, 09:53:52 PM

There was a fly reel with a drag system made this way.  The inventor was Sacconi, but the reels that I have heard of were made by STH and sold under their brand name and Cabelas.  Basically a mini turbine in an oil filled chamber.  The faster the line is going out, the faster the turbine  spins, increasing the resistance ( drag).   This was a somewhat useful drag profile for light tippet protection, but oyptherwise not so great.  Plus there was no way to adjust the resistance.  I assume that the cast control works on a similar principle and has the same limitations.

I think that some of the STH reels came with a clear drag cover, so that you could watch the little turbine spin :)

-J