Okuma Spinner Drag Sizes

Started by Bryan Young, January 29, 2011, 03:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spearo776

hi guys and girls first post!!! :)
i have the okuma salinas SA80 and the newer sa16000. im in the process of upgrading drags to the carbotex as i just found a supplier here to get 1mm sheet as the felt ones have "melted" from long hard running tuna up to 106lbs. there filled with 50lb spectra. great reels, only downfall in my eyes so far are - bearings in spool and roller bearings don't last to long and the felt washers .i'm sure they could easily fit carbotex ffrom factory. i've filled the body of the reels with sewing machine oil, slight resistance in winding but now i don't notice and have no fear of internals corroding.

redsetta

Hi all,
I've worked on a bunch of Salinas (SA30s, SA55s etc - though all first generation).
They all had a critical flaw in the quality of the alloy used for the transmission gear.
I assume it would've been less of an issue if the reels had been maintained (there's an access port beneath the rear cap for rinsing/lubrication), but every Salina I've worked on had a badly corroded transmission gear which had lost teeth and bound up against the drive gear.
I agree that they're otherwise great reels and have a nice design, but for those not so fussed about maintentance, maybe not the best.
I'd be interested to know if the alloy is better quality on the second generation.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

spearo776

i did note this , thats why i filled with sewing machine oil ;)

Bryan Young

Quote from: spearo776 on July 13, 2011, 06:55:49 AM
hi guys and girls first post!!! :)
i have the okuma salinas SA80 and the newer sa16000. im in the process of upgrading drags to the carbotex as i just found a supplier here to get 1mm sheet as the felt ones have "melted" from long hard running tuna up to 106lbs. there filled with 50lb spectra. great reels, only downfall in my eyes so far are - bearings in spool and roller bearings don't last to long and the felt washers .i'm sure they could easily fit carbotex ffrom factory. i've filled the body of the reels with sewing machine oil, slight resistance in winding but now i don't notice and have no fear of internals corroding.

I've packed both spool bearings and roller bearings with marine grease, and so far so good.  It will slow the bearing down a bit, and though that this will be an issue espcially with the roller bearing, but when I thought about it more, I'm more concerned with heavy loads on the bearing, where greased bearings are effective.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bnz

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 29, 2011, 03:41:51 PM
Cedros 65 - Three #6-7000 and custom cut 34 X 57 mm carbon drags

VS30 - Drag rated 18# with felt washers.  Three 6-113 for in the top stack
One #6-117  custom cut ID 24 mm for under the spool between the spool and drag plate

VS45 - Three #6-309
24 X 45.9 mm (Custom Cut from TLD15 20 X 55 X 1.08 mm or Penn's HT-100 (#6-25) hex 22.9 X 54.3 X 1.3 mm) for under the spool between the spool and drag plate

VS55 - Three #6-309 HT-100
24 X 51 mm (Custom Cut from TLD15 20 X 55 X 1.08 mm or Penn's HT-100  (#6-25) hex 22.9 X 54.3 X 1.3 mm)for under the spool between the spool and drag plate

Bryan, where did you get the material to custom cut your Cedros 65 34 x 57mm drag washer?  I'd love to add carbon drags to my V-65sa but carbontex doesn't make one that big.

For my V-55 and V-45 reels I used carbontex #23 (24.63 x 5 x 1 mm) and #70 (49.15 x 20.35 x 1.16 mm).  You could use the #71 and cut it down.

Dawn at Smoothdrag was able to get me the following to match my Okuma V-40's, V-30, and V-20:

V-40:  44mm OD, 16mm ID, .8 mm thick (x1),  22.5mm OD, 8mm ID, .8mm thick (x3)

V-30:  40.5mm OD 21mm ID, .8mm thick (x1),  22.5mm OD, 8mm ID, .8mm thick (x3)

V-20:  35mm OD, 20mm ID, .8mm thick (x1),  21mm OD, 9mm ID, .8mm thick (x3)

Carbontex washer sizes:   http://www.smoothdrag.com/Carbontex_washer_sizes.pdf

Bryan Young

The larger under the spool washer came from either Penn Parts or Dawn.

#9-117 and #6-25 came from Penn Parts.

TLD15 came from SmoothDrag
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

conchydong

Okuma is going to come out with a new reel soon that I think will compete with the Saragosa and it has carbon fiber drags. The RawII spinning reels.
I am looking forward to them.

bnz

conchy, the Raw II will still be a step below the VSystem, apart from the carbon fiber drags.  It will still have Okuma's high density gearing and brass pinion gear, just less bearings. I called the guys at Okuma parts and asked them about the Raw and he looked at the schematic and was able to tell me where there were fewer bearings (like one less bearing on the line roller [VSystem uses two there] and on the nut that tightens down the rotor making it a floating shaft [one thing among others that makes the VSystem smoother than the Cedros]). The good thing about it is that Okuma will still use interchangeable parts as they do on most of their reels of the same sizes so that you can probably buy the carbon fiber drags from the Raw II and place in your VSsystem reels.  :)

Gobi King

Okuma Status STX              - OD = 22 mm,  ID = 4 mm, thickness is near about 1mm I did not measure, eye balled it.
Okuma Avenger AV 30a       - OD = 20 mm, ID = 4 mm, thickness is near about 1 mm, I did not measure, eye balled it.
Okuma Avenger AV 90a       - OD = 20.2 mm, ID = 5.2 mm, thickness is near about 1 mm
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bryan Young

Quote from: Gobi King on February 05, 2018, 05:01:04 PM
Okuma Status STX              - OD = 22 mm,  ID = 4 mm, thickness is near about 1mm I did not measure, eye balled it.
Okuma Avenger AV 30a       - OD = 20 mm, ID = 4 mm, thickness is near about 1 mm, I did not measure, eye balled it.

Thank you.

philaroman

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 05, 2011, 06:23:00 AM
...Vsystem has 15 or 16 bearings.  What a pain in the butt to service.  I sill have 4 more reels to go.  Took me 3 hours to service the VS30.  next time, it will probably take 2 hours since I know now how and what to take apart and what not to take apart.

1) keep an eye out for original Aveon:

• all-metal flagship model before VS came out;
  • fat, roomy gearbox pre-dates the "blade" body -- not as light/pretty, but more robust & easier to work
  • both spools are ported; spare has tall brass bush -- no BB; original has BB & skinny brass bush, which may fit the line roller(?)  if so, you could bring the BB count down (to 9?), by eliminating 2 of the smallest, most susceptible bearings
  • VS spools are fully compatible, if you like DFD

2) some older Okuma's are definitely NOT standard-sized.  my AE-20 w/ VS-20 spool is tiny compared to 20-size original Inspira, Stratus, (Alumina?) -- they're HUGE almost-30's; the drag well & 6-stack may actually be BIGGER than later 30's (hence, the 20/25-size line capacity)

Tiddlerbasher

FYI all Okuma drag washers are  1mm thick so replace felt with cf  ;). Virtually every similar size Okuma reel uses the same size drag washers. Most bearings/bushings are similarly interchangeable on similar size reels. Thaey are cheap and easy to work on :) I luv em!

Gobi King

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 05, 2018, 09:33:48 PM
FYI all Okuma drag washers are  1mm thick so replace felt with cf  ;). Virtually every similar size Okuma reel uses the same size drag washers. Most bearings/bushings are similarly interchangeable on similar size reels. Thaey are cheap and easy to work on :) I luv em!

Hmm, so if I put a 20 mm wide cf washer instead of a 22 mm one, I will be fine? the washer will not wander around. I spend sometime matching up to the closet HT-100 drags sizes. I must say it was fun.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Bryan Young

You will be fine. Once compressed it will not go anywhere.

Tiddlerbasher

Using a 20mm, instead of 22mm, you will lose a tiny amount of drag. But the majority of Okuma's range have more than enough drag to start off with. Only once have I ever needed more drag than was available - I let the fish take line (and burn out the felt drag washers) when I should have buttoned down and bullied the beast :( Lesson learnt. The felt was subsequently replace with cf.

If you want an exact fit cut your own. A while back I bought myself a set of wadcutter punches - they paid for themselves very quickly. Those were metric cutters and now I going to buy an imperial set.