TUTORIAL PENN 180

Started by Dominick, December 23, 2015, 11:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

I purchased a Penn 180 from an Ebay seller.  This reel was $20.00 with free shipping.  I received the reel in pretty good condition.  First remove the handle.

Turn off the star.

Remove 6 screws holding the left side plate.  Note that the 2 screws that hold the base on slightly shorter.

Remove the spool from the left side plate.  Note there are no bearings in the reel this is a bushing reel.  Inspect the left side plate.  Check that the clicker ring is in good shape and that the actuator is crisp and snaps back and forth.

Look at the gunk in the reel.  Rust, brown grease and salt crystals.

Remove the bushing and spring.

Remove the screws holding the posts.

Lay the right side plate flat on the table remove the 4 screws holding the bridge.  Slowly lift the plate up so that you do not lose any parts.

Note that the screws that hold the bridge are different.  The screws with the threads on the tip are for the yoke.

Remove the eccentric lever.

Remove the bling ring.  I have an old stainless steel knife that I put in the crack between the ring and the plate and press until you hear a click.  Then roll the plate and press in another spot until you hear another click.  Continue all the way around until the ring is loose and can be removed.

Next attack the bridge with the guts of the drag system.  Remove the main gear by lifting it off of the sleeve.  At this point not the positions of the parts.  In this next photo you will note the sequence of the order which you will reverse when re-assembling.  The order from the bottom of the sleeve going up is:  Red fiber washer-main gear-drag-metal washer-drag-eared washer-drag-metal washer-tension spring (belleville)-tall spacer.

All the parts go into a hot Simple Green solution for an overnight bath.

The next morning the parts are clean and some needed to be brushed to remove crusted on grease.  Here are the parts laid out and fully drying.

Here is are a couple of close-ups of the main gear.  I did not know the channel for the eared washer went all the way through.

I thought I had a UFO but upon closer inspection I realized it was a UFO disguised as a cloud formation  :D

Before reassembling the reel I polished the plates with black shoe polish.  Hey Justin notice I am using New Zealand shoe polish.  :D ;D

Put the posts and base on the left side plate, grease it with a brush, then sign and date it.

Grease and replace the left bushing and spring.

Drop in the grease spool and set it aside.

Rebuild the bridge by reversing the parts as I listed them above.  This is what it will look like when it is done.  Place it aside.

Replace the eccentric and bushing.

Drop in the 4 greased screws for the bridge making sure the short threaded screws go into the upper holes where the yoke will reside.

Now you get to do the Alan Tani 2 finger hold by gripping the plate like this which will hold the 4 screws in place.

While holding the screws in place start to put the reel together.  Put the yoke in place then the eccentric plate, pinion gear on the yoke and drop in the bridge assembly.  Still holding the screws have the bridge assembly slightly off center and slip in the dog and spring.  Rotate the bridge assembly until it clicks in place then tighten the 4 screws completing the right side assembly.  Also slip on the bling ring.

Put the 2 sides together putting only moderate pressure on the greased screws so that you do not crack the plate.  I only mentioned greasing parts in passing above but you should be greasing the parts as you assemble the reel.

Here is the reel all cleaned and serviced.  It is ready to fish but will become a shelfie.  

Completed.  This a nice little reel.  According to Mike Cacioppo's the History of Penn Reels this reel was introduced in the 1939 catalog.  This reel could be 66 years old.  I am thrilled with it.

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Great tutorial, Dominick --

Thank You.

I agree with you -- that could be one of the very earliest -- if we can base any theory on that being an original handle supplied with that reel.

Beautiful little Penn.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Hey Dom,

You better go back and read Mikes book again. Pretty sure 180 came out in the late 30's and by the looks of your reel I'd say it is pre WWII.

Not sure what reel that tailplate came from, but both plates should have inner chrome ring. I like it !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

wallacewt

hi dom
ready to fish, ya wont catch nuttin on the shelf ;)
do you need to staighten that reel foot
looks bent
cheers to you and linda

foakes

Quote from: Max Doubt on December 23, 2015, 11:24:53 PM
Hey Dom,

You better go back and read Mikes book again. Pretty sure 180 came out in the late 30's and by the looks of your reel I'd say it is pre WWII.

Not sure what reel that tailplate came from, but both plates should have inner chrome ring. I like it !!

Ted

Yeah, that handle is a lot older than 1949 -- that is why I mentioned if it was original to that reel.

Agree with Ted -- that reel is possibly 10 years older -- than 1949.

Check Mike's book -- and I think Michael could date it closer for a final verdict.

Here is a little 180 I pulled out of the bin -- has 2 inner rings.

Your handle is older than mine -- the left side plate on yours or mine may be wrong though.

Again, great tutorial, Dominick.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Quote from: Max Doubt on December 23, 2015, 11:24:53 PM
Hey Dom,

Ted
Ted you are right.  It was introduced in the 1939 catalog.  I took a closer look at the left side and it does not look like there was ever a bling ring on it.  The left side plate is smooth.  Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on December 23, 2015, 11:30:22 PM
hi dom
looks bent
cheers to you and linda
Hi Wallace cheers to you and Elizabeth also.  BTW I caught a 24 lb nuttin, photo got erased by mistake.   ::) Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on December 23, 2015, 11:41:31 PM

hi dom
looks bent
cheers to you and linda
Hi Wallace cheers to you and Elizabeth also.  BTW I caught a 24 lb nuttin, photo got erased by mistake.   ::) Dominick
[/quote]
The only thing you caught is a bottle of zin ::) ;D
Great job on the tutorial pal, its about time you do something around here. ;)
Slow down on the anchovies, salt is a killer and we need you around for a little while longer ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Great Work Dominick! ;D
Looking good. ;)
Life is Good!

swill88

Nice tutorial Dom...

You are inspiring me to give it a try.

Thanks.

Steve

Tightlines667

That should be worth a wrench.

This would be a great starter reel for someone's first complete reel service.  Fairly simple reel.  I would maybe edit the dates in the tutorial itself to help avoid confusion.  Also, Fred... that sideplate us actually correct for your reel, and the one on Dominick's is also correct.  Good eye though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 24, 2015, 12:36:26 AM

Slow down on the anchovies, salt is a killer and we need you around for a little while longer ;)
Hey paisano insteadayou maka da fun a me make a da pinna the posta.  Capeche?  Dominick

Ron Jones

Great job. One of my favorites. I love them with a Newell kit and carbon fiber drag stack.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Hey All, all kidding aside.  I tried to find photos of Penn 180 and I could only find photos of obviously later models.  As far as the left side plate is concerned are there lighthouse side plates that will fit perfectly.  I don't know what I have and if it is very rare that makes me happy.  I like it whether it is rare or not.  Dominick

Dominick

Quote from: foakes on December 23, 2015, 11:39:06 PM

Check Mike's book -- and I think Michael could date it closer for a final verdict.

I hate to criticize Mike's book because it is unique.  However, it has the worst index ever.  As a matter of fact it has no index.  Try looking up the Penn 180 and if there is any information in the book you have to read the whole book to find it.  A reference book is only as good as its index.  Dominick

Alto Mare

Quote from: Dominick on December 24, 2015, 04:22:03 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on December 24, 2015, 12:36:26 AM

Hey paisano insteadayou maka da fun a me make a da pinna the posta.  Capeche?  Dominick

Yes, well deserved!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.