Seeker Hercules Spinner

Started by Newell Nut, January 07, 2016, 09:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

This is an offshore spinner built on a Hercules GTS70M 30-60 which is the same as Sal's Italian rod. The guides are the Fuji KWAG SIC and matching tip. My usual X wrap rope on the foregrip with Xflock and Xflock on the butt. Reel seat is a Fuji graphite spinner. The color scheme was to match the customers previous conventional on the same blank.
My first rod for this year along with a 14 foot gaff for the Pastime Princess.

Tightlines667

Lookimg good Dwight!  I like that (false?) underwrap.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

What I used for the underwrap is actually 1/16 wide black and gold butt wrap by Gudebrod and the guy really likes the look. Not false at all. It is indeed wrapped by hand too and takes a little extra time.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on January 07, 2016, 11:01:40 PM
What I used for the underwrap is actually 1/16 wide black and gold butt wrap by Gudebrod and the guy really likes the look. Not false at all. It is indeed wrapped by hand too and takes a little extra time.
You were good at it, but now you're getting really good.
That looks very nice, almost as good as the one you built for me. ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

By 'False Underwrap' I meant the visable wrapping under the guide is just there for looks, while the actual wrap under the feet is a different thread or there is no actual guide underwrap. 

Regardless, your finished product looks pretty sharp.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 08, 2016, 12:09:51 AM
You were good at it, but now you're getting really good.
That looks very nice, almost as good as the one you built for me. ;D

Sal
Yours is a classic rod. I did one other on a buddies rod that spent his last navy years in Sicily but may never do another. Jon can relate to this. As I spend more time wrapping it seems that laying down nice tight threads gets easier and easier and almost thoughtless once the eyes, foot control and thread carriage become one unit. You can see after I experimented with a lot of stuff that the style that I favor most is clean bold lines. I really admire Jon's thread work but we each have our own style that is reflected in our work. My theme is Built for Battle and I will make it attractive as well but not intended to win a weaving competition.
You need bend that Pizza rod one day with one of Tom's new Jigmaster Creations.

Dwight

cbar45

Great idea on using 1/16" Gudebrod for the underwrap...It looks unique and stands out from the other "tiger thread" or "variegated thread" underwraps that you see..

Bryan Young

Very nice.  Is that going with you to Hawaii?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

No Bryan, this rod is the second rod for a local construction attorney that loves country life  and sings country music and he wanted Cowboy on it just like his other rod.
I have a 13-3 Daiwa Saltiga Ballistic 3 piece waiting for me at Brian's shop for my 344. Need to get a rod for my 546. I have a two piece Rainshadow 8.5ft 12-25 that I am building next week for one of my 229s to take with me.