Fishing report and a request for a rod

Started by Ron Jones, December 24, 2015, 04:19:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

John thanks for that toxicology study on fish and crabs.  I had to wade through a lot of stuff to get the gist of the answer to the question about whether fish taken from Pearl Harbor is safe to eat.  The study concluded that incidental consuming of fish from there would not harm you just don't make a habit out of it.  Here is a quote from the study:

"Both of these evaluation methods indicate it would be prudent public health practice to limit
consumption of fish and crabs from Pearl Harbor. Certain sensitive populations, such as pregnant
women and children, should be particularly careful to avoid eating fish or crabs from Pearl
Harbor, because exposure to PCBs can cause developmental problems. ATSDR supports the
HDOH fishing advisory and encourages people to heed the posted sign and not eat fish caught in
Pearl Harbor.
"
  (Emphasis is mine)Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Dominick on December 27, 2015, 11:53:36 PM
John thanks for that toxicology study on fish and crabs.  I had to wade through a lot of stuff to get the gist of the answer to the question about whether fish taken from Pearl Harbor is safe to eat.  The study concluded that incidental consuming of fish from there would not harm you just don't make a habit out of it.  Here is a quote from the study:

"Both of these evaluation methods indicate it would be prudent public health practice to limit
consumption of fish and crabs from Pearl Harbor. Certain sensitive populations, such as pregnant
women and children, should be particularly careful to avoid eating fish or crabs from Pearl
Harbor, because exposure to PCBs can cause developmental problems. ATSDR supports the
HDOH fishing advisory and encourages people to heed the posted sign and not eat fish caught in
Pearl Harbor.
"

Dominick,

Thanks for reading the study/report and sumarizing the findings here for us!

I basically based my earlier advisory on the fact that there are some signs posted.  I think alot of this stuff is exaggerated, and I typically don't think eating fish in moderation (even from waters known to contain, or have contained some level of bioreactive/persistant/bioaccumulating contaminants) is going to produce any serious health risks to the average person.  Unfortunately, there are many other waterways on Oahu (i.e. AlaWae canal, Enchanted Lake, etc..) that are known to be frequently poluted, or contain fish and shellfish that are hazardous to consume.  Thus, I have tended to err on the side of caution in areas that have posted signs.  If it is unsafe for humans to swim there, and the sign says.. "Don't eat the fish", then I don't risk eating the fish.  

Everytime we have prolonged or heavy rains, and there are 'brown water warnings', or when we have, the all to frequent, sewage spills, and 'No Swim Warnings', or closed beaches.  I avoid swimming in brown water, and I avoid eating fish caught in those waters.  

Maybe I am being overly paranoid here, but I have seen firsthand cases of bad bacterial infections, and related sickness, and there are always reports of flesh eating bacteria and other ailments following brown water warnings.  Not exactly a pretty picture of what 'Paradise' is supposed to be.  The saving grace is, the water gets deep quickly and the ocean circulation cleans the surface runoff and 'Brown Water' pretty quickly.

John

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

swill88

Quote from: Tightlines666 on December 28, 2015, 12:11:22 AM
Quote from: Dominick on December 27, 2015, 11:53:36 PM
John thanks for that toxicology study on fish and crabs.  I had to wade through a lot of stuff to get the gist of the answer to the question about whether fish taken from Pearl Harbor is safe to eat.  The study concluded that incidental consuming of fish from there would not harm you just don't make a habit out of it.  Here is a quote from the study:

Pearl Harbor.
"

Dominick,

Thanks for reading the study/report and sumarizing the findings here for us.  I basically based my earlier advisory on the fact that there are some signs posted.  I think alot of this stuff is exaggerated, and I typically don't think eating fish in moderation (even from waters known to contain, or have contained some level of bioreactive/persistant, bioaccumulating contaminants) is going to produce any serious health risks to the average person.  Unfortunately, there are many other waterways on Oahu that have (i.e. AlaWae canal, Enchanted Lake, etc..) that are known to be frequently poluted, or contain fish and shellfish that are hazardous to consume.  Thus, I have tended to err on the side of caution in areas that have posted signs.  If it is unsafe for humans to swim there, and the sign says.. "Don'T eat the fish", then I don'T risk eating the fish. 

Everything we have prolonged or heavy rains, and there are 'brown water warnings', or when we have the all to frequent sewage spills and 'No Swim Warnings', or closed beaches.  I avoid swimming in brown water, and I avoid eating fish caught in those waters.  Maybe I am being overly paranoid here, but I have seen firsthand cases of bad bacterial infections, and related sickness, and there are always reports of flesh eating bacteria and other ailments following brown water warnings.  Not exactly a pretty picture of what 'Paradise' is supposed to be.  The saving grace is, the water gets deep quickly and the ocean circulation cleans tye surface runoff abd 'Brown Water' pretty quickly.

John

San Francisco Bay has similar warnings. When I read pregnant women & children should not eat... I lose my apetite.
i release all my Delta stipers (most of the time).

and... X2 thanks for summarizing that study for us Dom

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/nor_cal/2011SFbay.html

Bill Karr

Ron,
Just noticed this thread. Sure brought back a lot of memories. I used to live on Ford I. in the early 70's directly across the street from the Utah Memorial (not far from the golf course) I always kept a light spinning rod by the back door. Certain times of the year there would be big schools of small Papio in front of my house. Great fun on light tackle. Only did catch and release and taught a lot of the neighbor kids how to fish.
As a suggestion for a rod, I recommend contacting Fred Oakes. Recently I had to give up fly fishing that required wading. Fred put together an outfit-a 4 piece 7 1/2 foot spinner that feels like a 5 wt. fly rod and a little DAM Quick reel. I can now "fly fish" without wading. It would be perfect for what you are doing. Very reasonable price and in line with what you are spending.
Good luck-P.S. Only a ferry in those days so zero fishing pressure!
Bill

Bryan Young

Quote from: oc1 on December 27, 2015, 08:37:32 AM
John, I tried to get a tagging kit too but to no avail.  Maybe that's for the better as it's one less thing to do in that sixty second window.  If you're wading or in a boat with a live well and can keep the fish in the water it would be easier. 

Bryan, does 5Oceans 7Seas sell blanks or only build rods?  I would like to check out those blanks too but do not want to insult the guy.  Thank you very much for the tip.

-steve

Hi Steve,

5O 7S also sells blanks. Talk to Lance. He used to wrap for Kimura I believe.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Ron Jones

LX 106 HC looks real good. If 5O7S has a 1 piece blank like that I'm in. Otherwise it is hard to beat $130.00
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

Thank you Bryan.

Some people say to get a rod where the weight you intend to cast is in the middle of the lure weight range for the blank.  However, I look for a rod where the weight I intend to cast is at the upper end of the lure weight range for the blank.  Otherwise, it feels like the rod is not being fully loaded and the cast is coming up short.  Start with the weight of the lure/bait, then choose a rod to suit lure, then choose a line to suit the rod, then choose a reel to suit the line.

-steve

Ron Jones

My method is bait, line, rod, reel but I can understand your methodology. I need to know that the line can handle the fish. I know that this is fodder for getting me banned from here, but in all honesty the reel isn't hugely important. It makes it nice when it works and matches the situation, but as long as that drag range and capacity is there, it will all work. My grandfathers mantra "the reel brings the fish in, the reel holds the line." That doesn't change the fact that I love playing with them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

I was just trying to suggest checking the lure weight for the LX 106 HC and decide if that is really what you want for oio.

-steve

smnaguwa

Just read your post. The NEX had a holiday sale on rods, one which might have fit your request. I wanted one of them but they ran out quickly. I talked to the sales person and they said they would check if they could get more from the supplier. You might talk to them; may be they can get a rod that fit your specs.

Bill B

Chief I can recommend Cabelas Depthmaster 8'6" model dr-86m 10-25 lb test, with a Shimano Round bait caster with 20lb mono. See my post "salmon still running on Sacramento River".  I had the drag buttoned down to 8 lbs. this combo can cast farther than the river width will allow. The tip is very sensitive but has a strong back.  The photo shows me dragging a 36 lb King from the river bottom.  Don't let the description fool you."trolling/ downrigger" I've been using the same to bait fish for cats and stripped bass, with nothing over 5 lbs.  as far as eating fish....I've been eating anything from salmon, bass, and mud bugs, and can still find my home every night......course I'm growing a third testicle now......
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Ron Jones

Funny, I was just looking at that rod. I'll look some more, it might be the one. Not as long as I'd like but if it casts it casts.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"