Penn 113H 4/0 Aluminum Side Plates.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Tom, those look very nice.
I see you got a little creative removing material where possible:
I bet those plates are of the same weight as the Jigmaster's plates
Good job!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

I noted the same thing Sal.  Does anyone know what these  plates weigh?  & what the comparable weights of other existing aluminum 4/0 plates (Accurate, JVaruance, etc.) might be?

Also, I was wondering why the bearing housing were designed integral with the plate.  Wouldn'the it be better to have adjustable bearing spacing in these reels?

Looks like the machining and anodizing on these is top notch.  I am sure the tolerances and strength are there.  I kinda wish I needed a set.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cortez_Conversions

Hello everyone,
I'm out of town celebrating my wife's birthday. I have a stack of PMs and emails I will get to as soon as possible!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

steelhead_killer

The plates are milled with the same space for a dog on each side of the gear hole.  Can you double dog it?  If so, is it just using the same dog on the other side, or is it a new dog?

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelhead_killer on April 24, 2016, 01:39:47 AM
The plates are milled with the same space for a dog on each side of the gear hole.  Can you double dog it?  If so, is it just using the same dog on the other side, or is it a new dog?

Thanks!

Andy
Andy, I don't have the plates in hand so maybe Tom or someone else could give you a better answer.
To me those appear to have the option for a left hand reel or right hand and not related to the double dog.
No I do not think you could install a second dog, unless you do some grinding on the plate.
No need to do anything using Pro Challenger's double dog bridge. Those should drop right in.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Quote from: David Hall on April 23, 2016, 02:53:23 AM
Hey I'm happier not knowing?
Haven't heard anything back from them?
Guess I need another plan!

And the plan is........maybe I will ask them for a custom color NARROW frame and spool!

Guess I gotta go back to their website!

Or maybe Tom was able to accommodate my 11th hour request to swap one of my new sideplate sets for a green set and I can order the green WEX!
Hey there's a lot of ways this can go and none of them is bad!

Hey Dave, note: I was gonna build a full green Jiggy on Tom's plates; the Tib frame and TBar handle are somewhat darker green so not an exact match, just FYI. I'll post you a pic tomorrow.

John

David Hall

Or maybe our good friend Bryan hooked me up with the link to Brudah Bills shop and I ordered one of his Hawaiian Wide kits!
And then Randy who doesn't know it yet but he's going to help me find an E-Blue frame and spool.
I have no idea when I will ever get the time to build these but I am getting some incredible parts collected.
I just need to figure out where to get my hands on a red 4/0 WEX spool?

mikeysm

Quote from: noyb72 on February 06, 2016, 08:02:57 PM
Question for Tom?
Will these plates accept a second dog? I understand Mr. Chui is trying to make this not matter (God bless him!), but all my 4/0s are double dogged with a milled plate. I'd hate to have to cut on one of your masterpieces.
Ron

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on February 09, 2016, 03:40:10 AM
The plates are not milled to take a second dog, but they do have the mirror image notch for left hand conversion. I am working on a fixture that will allow me to drill your existing bridge plate to accept a second dog using that lefty notch. This will allow you to double dog a bridge without cutting the plate or buying an entire new bridge.

day0ne

Is it too late to get a silver set, old style?
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

mikeysm

I am still waiting for the double dog bridge. Here is the blue side plates with the silver Hawaiian frame and spool.

Mike

steelhead_killer

Ok I am stuck.  Installed a SS yoke on my build and when the bridge screws are tighten down and the eccentric lever is moved back and forth the pinion gets stuck in the free spool position.  It will not release until I back out this screw noted in the picture a 1/8th of a turn counter clockwise, than pop the pinion comes out properly.  I have tried three yokes.  And three eccentric jacks.  All do the same thing.  I have used both sides of the yoke.  What am I missing? 
><)))">

steelhead_killer

Love it!  Great color combo.  Those blue plates are awesome!

Quote from: mikeysm on April 26, 2016, 02:13:13 AM
I am still waiting for the double dog bridge. Here is the blue side plates with the silver Hawaiian frame and spool.

Mike
><)))">

RowdyW

Are the upper & lower bridge screws in the correct location. (reversed)?

David Hall

Quote from: mikeysm on April 26, 2016, 02:13:13 AM

Mike

Got to say that silver frame and spool looks absolutely Mahvelous!  On those blue plates.