Penn 113H 4/0 Aluminum Side Plates.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Quote from: RowdyW on April 26, 2016, 02:37:05 AM
Are the upper & lower bridge screws in the correct location. (reversed)?

Checked that too.
><)))">

sdlehr

I got my black plates a few days ago, but was slow to order from Adam and Randy, so I don't yet have my spool, frame insert, handle (I do have the EVA knob) or drag star. The plates are waiting patiently for me to accumulate the rest for the build...

I'm wondering why I didn't order the electric blue now.  :-\

Mine is going to be all black and silver/stainless. Kind of like a Senator  :D

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broadway

Just got mine, Tom. 8) They look spectacular, and I can't wait to assemble them but with my work schedule it's gonna be a minute.
Thanks again for some truly custom work,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Andy,
Your problem has to be in the yoke, eccentric or jack. I have had them not want to come out of freespool, but not get stuck in freespool.
A stainless yoke on a brass jack has a tendency to hang up and dig in. Make sure the tabs are smooth and the jack and yoke is facing the right direction. Ask me how I know.
Life is Good!

steelhead_killer

Polished the jack good and it slides perfect with no nicks or scraps, polished the the yoke where the jack rests and rides.  Could it be a thickness issue of the yoke? 
><)))">

Shark Hunter

Something is too tight. I have got in a hurry before and messed up the simplest of procedures.
Sometimes it is better to walk away and come back with a clear perspective. That usually works for me.
I'm not going to tell you to sand the yoke. I would Mic it to a standard one.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

It sure seems like the clutch springs are hanging up on the screws. Maybe the springs are weak or to short. Are they new springs & the correct ones?

Alto Mare

Andy, trying 3 different jacks and yokes, you pretty much ruled those out.
From your pics, it appears you're trying it without fully assembling the reel.
I have mentioned this earlier, these reels have a tight tolerance, to test the clutch assembly, the reel should be fully assembled.
When the reel is fully assembled, the spool shaft keeps the pinion  square and keeps it from tilting.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

Makes perfect sense.  Thanks for the reminder. 
><)))">

sdlehr

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 26, 2016, 04:30:10 AM
I have mentioned this earlier, these reels have a tight tolerance, to test the clutch assembly, the reel should be fully assembled.
When the reel is fully assembled, the spool shaft keeps the pinion  square and keeps it from tilting.

Sal
Sal, I know what you mean, because I've had the shifting problem with the Jigmaser when the pinion gets away from square.

Andy, what are you seeing with the pinion when your problem shows up? Is it jamming against the bridge like in the Jigmaster? Of course, if the problem disappears after the reel is completely assembled Sal has probably nailed it.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Shark Hunter

I didn't realize he was just working with a plate and not the complete reel.
Life is Good!

AlasKen

I got my red plates today.  Going with a black frame.  Now to find time to get it together.  They look great.

Cortez_Conversions

Hello All,
Please keep me posted on any issues with these builds. Sometimes when I change the simplest thing it shows up later.
I especially want to know about problems like Andy is having.
I'm back at work today and will ship out most of the remaining orders tonight.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mitch27

Hi Tom , The plates are perfect . The upper bridge screw is to fat. I sanded mine from 0.136 to 0.125 and it works fine . stock penn screw mics at 0.119. I am very happy with the plates. Hope this help Andy and others.  mitch27

shoyupoke

I am also having the same problem as steelhead_killer. I am also using a ss yoke. Anyone have any suggestions for this problem.