Penn 113H 4/0 Aluminum Side Plates.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

I put together two sets of red sideplates, one old style the other new style.  I had previously upgraded three 4/0 special senators with sleeves and gear sets, tiburon t4Nk .  One of them is old style.
The old style frame was built on a newer 4/0 and using the inner trim ring came out looking great and everything functioning with the new PC bridge.  Great freespool too.
The new style frame was on an older 4/0 with the external access drags, using the top hat. 
Got the new bridge and all the guts installed, left side plate, spool, right side plate, OOPS. Top hat doesn't fit?
I need a spacer!  Damn, all the parts I have around here and I do not have a spare spacer for a 4/0 reel? 
eBay had one shipped for $5 so I ordered it, be here in a week.
Tomorrow I will start on my 4/0 WEX frame and spool, see where that goes.

BryanC

I received the last pieces I needed to assembly my reel in the mail on Monday, and went ahead and put it together Monday evening.  Here are the upgrade parts I installed:

• Tiburon frame and spool (which I had already been using with standard Penn components)
  • Tom's plates and goodie bag
  • SS gear sleeve
  • Alan C's SS double dog bridge
  • Keta's lug blanks
  • Adam's drag insert kit and drag star

Here is the assembled reel:

It still has stock gears and a Penn 24-349H handle.  I think the gears will probably last quite a long time, and I prefer the 3.25 gear ratio rather than something higher.  A handle upgrade would look good and I may do that at some point, but I find the throw length of this handle to be perfect for me, and the grip feels good in my hand.

I was able to get 28 lb of drag, tested on my drag scale.  I could get about 21.5-22 with the stock drag washers, so it is a noticeable increase.  I intend to fish it at 18-20 lb anyway.

The reel went together without a hitch.  The only "tuning" I needed to perform was a bit of light filing on the inside of the thick top washer that came with the drag insert kit.  It was a little too tight to slide over the SS gear sleeve that I used, but a few strokes of a file cured that, and it is still a nice tight fit.

It is great that all these upgrades are available to us.  Thank you to Tom, Alan C, Adam & Keta for making these upgrade parts, and also Sal and others for the part testing and innovations, and of course Alan T for making this all possible!

anglingarchitect

Finally got the objects of my desire 3 new 113h pro challenger bridges, so i can get started on my builds, very excited.

Black plates Silver frame,and an all red one.

That green ones a beauty, like that star.

mark

David Hall

Very nice reel Bryan, looks great and will fish even better.

p-deverett

Bryan, reel looks great.
What size star did you use? 3" or 2.75"

Thanks Peter

BryanC

Quote from: p-deverett on May 25, 2016, 09:05:43 PM
Bryan, reel looks great.
What size star did you use? 3" or 2.75"

Thanks Peter

Thanks!  That is a 2.75" drag star.

mikeysm

Here is my finished Hawaiian Wide. All it needs now is the second generation gears.

Mike

Rancanfish

Nice job Mike.

I now own my first ever 113, a Tiburon narrow 113 with Tom's plates. (pics later). Really love this one.

Unfortunately when I tilt the reel to the handle side the spool rubs.  Does this mean I need to locate the dreaded shim to move the handle side bearing out toward the center?  If so, how thick do you go?

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Marcq

Wow!!! Those look awesome   :o

Marc..

mikeysm

Show us a picture of the spool. It could be the bridge screws rubbing. Maybe they are to long. The spool on the wide isn't a problem but my jigmaster with Tom's plates was I had to file the screws down to flush with the plate to get clearance.

PacRat

+2 on checking the bridge screws first. Don't dread the shim too much. McMaster-Carr sells some really nice shims (Type 316 Stainless Steel Round Shim, 0.005" Thick, 1/4" ID, 3/8" OD.) You can get different thicknesses and the right one (or combination) will get you dialed in.
-Mike

Rancanfish

Omigosh Mike, you nailed it.  Thanks.  After you mentioned it I remembered you had posted something about that.

I swapped the old screws back in and it's good to go.  Can we grind them to shorten them?

Mike and Mike coming up with answers !!   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

David Hall

Yes and it didn't happen if there's no pics?  Maybe you haven't built it yet! These sideplate builds are the most awesome eye candy and if I can't see what your doing with them? Well there's just  no point to this thread so don't be stingy post em up!

mikeysm

Finding the right handle and star that goes with the reel is the hard part. It also has to be functional at the same time.

Shark Hunter

Awesome Builds Bryan and Mike!
Solid work there.
Life is Good!