Penn 113H 4/0 Aluminum Side Plates.

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 24, 2015, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

That deep purple looks sweet, show it with a black frame :)...very nice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Tom, looks good. Now I'm going to need a set or two for the 112h in purple.          Rudy

badfish71

Cortez_Conversions

Morning Folks,

I'm getting word from Sal that a couple of reels have had interference issues between Newell spools and my side plates.

It looks like the clicker ratchet on some of the Newell spools are larger in diameter than stock Penn spools. Please check fit with your components!
If there is an issue, I'll gladly refund your purchase as long as the plates are not modified.

This is the mine field we sometimes have to navigate when aftermarket vendors deviate from stock dimensions...

Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

thorhammer

My YTS special spools arrived today from Randy, I will see. The last YTS I built (old style plate and Accuframe) is just fine.

Alto Mare

So far the issue has been with the Newell spools on the 113H plates, no need to check anything else.

I want to mention, if you do decide to try the Newell spool on Tom's plates for yourself, you might be committed to keep the plates.
The clicker side will definitely get scratched from the ratchet on the inside as you try to turn the handle.

I recently did one for a member and gave him my good green plate that I was going to use for myself and kept the scratched one.
It comes with the territory, even when you're just doing a favor.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

In other words... don't use a Newell spool.  There are plenty of other options out there and a very small hurdle for the perfection in the plates.
Great advice, Sal. 
Dom

thorhammer

Sal, timely note...I am building two YTS's thanks to a care package from brother Ted. I have a Newell and an Accurate spool from Randy. Plates on way from Tom, so I'll use the Accurate on that one and the Newell with the stock plates / Newell bar set. That's if i didn't screw up the whole new style / old style subject, which I'm 50/50 to do. If so i will be rebuilding a bunch of my 4/0's t make everything happen. WTH, it's just lego's.

Maxed Out

I have a newell yts spool that works perfectly with the Cortez sideplates. The clicker sprocket on this spool appears to be the same size as Penn spools.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

It's not so much the size of the ratchet on the spool shaft, the Newell stick out a little more than Penn.
Earlier plates from Tom had the tongue support much shorter and didn't interfere with any spool,
That is the one I gave Bill and kept the scratched one.

Your plates might be the earlier ones as well.

Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: broadway on April 04, 2019, 01:41:32 AM
In other words... don't use a Newell spool.  There are plenty of other options out there and a very small hurdle for the perfection in the plates.
Great advice, Sal.  
Dom
Dom, you could use any spool if you happen to have the earlier kit from Tom.
If your spool looks like this one, you shouldn't have any issues:
https://i.imgur.com/9xhCHML.jpg

Here is the one in question, you could see where I needed to grind it for clearance

https://i.imgur.com/VD1NO8P.jpg

Parts from different sources are all over the place, as Tom mentioned above, he cannot make his kits to work with all available custom parts, and we should not expect him to.
Tom's work is top notch, to me one of the best I've seen up to now.

Sal

broadway

Thanks for the clarification, Sal and Ted.
Dom

Cortez_Conversions

Hello all,
I'm currently running a batch of new style 113H plates( Tib topless). Is there any desire for old style in colors other than Silver, Green and Black that are in stock now? I'll need 5 or so interested to run a different color.

Thanks,
Tom

P.S.  I've modified my models to eliminate the issue with some Newell spools not fitting...
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Alto Mare

Thanks for doing these for us Tom!

Sal

SearedTuna

Hello Tom,

I just ordered 2 YTS topless 4/0 frame/spool kits in silver from Tiburon.
I also have all ss inards for them. Will a double dog Pro Challenger bridge work with your side plates?

V/r,
Jay