Cleaning Accurate Anti-reverse bearings

Started by Mr GreenJeans, January 30, 2011, 06:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Chinese ointment contains turpentine, so, anything goes I guess.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Quotebit like my dad,smokin killed him.they dont muck around at the cremetorium
Too funny Wallace - you crack me up.  ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

David Hall

What?
The spool can go in backwards?
*#^%++^{^*##¥
Ah heck!
I guess if you don't take the reel apart and put it back together at least ten times you just don't know the reel well enough.
And I was so efficient I didn't need all the parts to put it back together!
I think I'll sell them on EBay.

David Hall

Here's a legitimate question.
I cleaned and lubed my ARB's with cals grease packed it in good too!
Do I now need to go back in and clean it out and re lube with corrosionX?
Kinda did something similar with my tekota, I had it back together and thought I might take the spool tensioner cap off and check it out.  It looked like it had been packed with grease at one time, so I filled it up with cals and screwed it back on.  took it off again to take another look at it and most of the grease had been forced down into the side plate.
Wondering if I am going to cause myself trouble with this too?

alantani

grease in the AR bearings can be a problem, so i generally recommend a light oil.  in general AR bearings are finnicky.  they're like a girlfriend that cheats on you. if they fail once, they can never be completely trusted again. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

al_n_VB757

Quote from: alantani on November 23, 2014, 07:25:04 AM
grease in the AR bearings can be a problem, so i generally recommend a light oil.  in general AR bearings are finnicky.  they're like a girlfriend that cheats on you. if they fail once, they can never be completely trusted again. 
hahah!!! need to find a better girlfriend!

Tiddlerbasher

I now only use IPA (very occasionally acetone) for cleaning bearings. Pop the bearing into a small glass jar - cover with IPA. Place the glass jar in an el cheapo ultrasonic cleaner. Fill the cleaner with hot water (to above the IPA level) - 2-3 mins. Empty jar and refill with IPA - another 2-3 mins - job done. If it's an ARB I generally lube with CorrosionX or TSI321. Some ARBs are fussier than others. If the bearing is already rusty - replace it.

Gfish

Finally got tired of a "stiff" cranking feel for my DPX2. Oiling it through the port didn't help that much. So I stripped almost everything off the head-plate, put a cork in the crank/ARB shaft hole, balenced the plate so the hole was vertical and sprayed Inox into it, until the bearing was fully submerged. Lots a bubbles! Drain, repeat, and after twisting a paper towel in there, some ReelX(comes in the box with the reel). Much better.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

johndtuttle

Accurate uses Cal's cut with Corrosion-X last I talked to Ben.

sabaman1

I got a accurate boss fury single speed today from a friend who was in a tangle with another angler and his rod and reel went overboard last saturday. What would be the best way to flush the AR roller bearing? I have some ReelX and also some tsi 321. Could I flush it out with WD40 then apply air to blow out remains? Looks like bearing is pressed in.
JIM

Gfish

WD-40 is knowen to not age well in reels. It gums-up over time and mixing with saltwater may exacerbate this. Probably works if you really flush all of it out. The Inox I mentioned above "seems" to work without the same issues.
If you can remove the head-plate, handle assembly and gear shaft, plugging one end of the head-plate and pouring-in/soaking with something that cleans and removes water, then flush and add lube, worked for me. Oil is recomended as a lube over grease by those that know more'n me, as I've never had ARB slippage problems.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sabaman1

Gfish, do you think carb cleaner or brake cleaner would work as as flush?
JIM

Gfish

Others would probably know better'n me, but if the ARB has plastic springs that push on the rollers, that stuff could ruin them. Don't recall what mine had when I flushed it 3yrs. ago. Inox is expensive stuff but works great. Really, I'd only use carb. n' brake cleaner on all-metal parts.

sabaman1

Gfish, thanks for the advice I will try to flush with some ReelX a couple times and use compressed air the blow out residue. Then reapply some TSI 321.
JIM