Long Beach 66N - 2 dogs on the bridge

Started by mhc, December 29, 2015, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I decided to double dog a LB 66 as a back-up "grouper special".

My first thought was to use the same procedure I copied from Sal for the 113 side plate http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.0
Milling out part of the side plate to make room for the second dog to sit on one of the bridge screws.

The dogs on the bridge screws can be fiddly to install for amateurs like me, particularly if there are two - so I thought I would try mounting the dogs on the bridge similar to the jigmasters. I've used 1/8" rod for the dog posts and 3/64" for the spring posts. You need to workout where the posts go and drill 1/8" hole for the dogs and 3/64" for the spring posts. Insert the rods and peen the back over and file the posts a tad higher than than the dogs (I'll try to take photos next time)

As you can see, I have set them up as alternating. Normally it is just a case of adjusting the length of one or both dogs for simultaneous engagement but there isn't much room under the 5-66 gear, you might have to file more material off the underside of the dog to clear the ratchet teeth if you make them longer.

With the under gear washer

and gear

ready for assembly

The drags are a 3 stack of carbon fibre I took out of the 113 gear when I made my grouper special - I now have to decide whether to go the full hog and put a stainless sleeve, stainless dogs, 5 stack drags or 7 stack drag kit from Bryan and a bigger handle.
I have assembled it as is with a pitted bronze spool until I decide what I want to do with it.

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Shark Hunter

Great Job on that Bridge. That is a deep steel gear you have there and a five stack should fit with 6-60 drags. I think the only three upgrades I would do are stainless sleeve and spool with a handle upgrade.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Nice job.  Did you change spools when you put the reel together?  I like the other spool better.  Less prone to splitting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Good eye Bry. ;D Yes the shiny spool is a stainless one. That is the one you want to fish. The three piece will warp under load.
Life is Good!

mhc

Thanks guys, I kept the stainless spool out to clean up a bit of pitting in the arbor, I'll put it back in when I do the drags. I think you're right Daron, a five stack of 6-60 drags will be enough drag for this reel.

Ron Jones

If you do build this with a five stack and a SS sleeve, the next weak spot would be the stand. I believe Sal bent one at 22#s drag and a five stack could possibly do that. Using a good clamp helps significantly, but if you want to go whole hog, a Newell 112H base will fit.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rothmar2

Just got back from a 3 day music festival to see you've posted this Mike. Nice job.

Alto Mare

I've seen this a couple of days ago, I thought I commented on it already ::).
Very nice job Michael!
From looking at it when done, it looks as something very easy to do, but as we both know, it's not that easy to get it there and make it functional.
Thanks for sharing Michael, you've been doing some nice work around here.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Quote from: noyb72 on December 30, 2015, 06:51:10 PM
If you do build this with a five stack and a SS sleeve, the next weak spot would be the stand. I believe Sal bent one at 22#s drag and a five stack could possibly do that. Using a good clamp helps significantly, but if you want to go whole hog, a Newell 112H base will fit.
Ron
Thanks Ron, I didn't realise the 112H had the same screw spacing - I have used a 66 stand on a 99 width jigmaster so I guess the newell 112H and newell 99 jigmaster stands are the same?

Thanks for the kind words Chris and Sal, I know the 66 isn't the most glamorous of the Penn line up, but I like the idea of improving a reel that has been overlooked by the professional after market upgrade team. Your right about it being a challenge Sal, the first attempt didn't quite clear the eccentric jack when it was engaged - I had to shave a bit off in a couple of places. I'll put that one in a long beach 60 I have. Available area for dogs under a 5-349H main gear is like a ballroom compared to under the 5-66.

Mike  

Ron Jones

Mike,
The 66 stand works on a bunch of reels. As you state the 99 has a different stand but it is the same width as a 66 so yes, the 112H and 500 series have the same spacing. I'd bet that one of the wide 112Hs, like the Tuna or Bluefin specials actually use a 500 stand. I haven't put a Newell base on a 66, but I always thought it would be a better idea that the original grouper special because of the open top. In reality you can't get a lightweight 66 spool unless you mill down a YTS spool to fit but if you were willing to do that (I think Sal has once) then ou could get into an open topped, slow, easily castable reel for way less than a Tib kit.

Enough rambling, I hope you enjoy the reel.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broschro

The Newell 99 stand works good

Ron Jones

Its the first one I've seen. Do you know if the cross bars will fit? This is really cool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

mhc

Quote from: noyb72 on January 02, 2016, 03:50:33 AM
Its the first one I've seen. Do you know if the cross bars will fit? This is really cool.
Ron
The post spacing is different to the jigmasters on both the 60 and 66 size long beach. The 66 posts are a bit more than a screw width further apart so you could probably put an adapter in similar to the ones Irish Jigger made for a silver beach 99. The 66 has six posts so you could replace the top 2 or the bottom 2 or make the adaptor long enough for two bars on each side of the stand.
Link to Tom's post  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6437.msg54778#msg54778
and the photos;

Unfortunately the long beach 60 and 65 posts are less than a screw width further apart than the jigmaster so the adaptor plates won't work - the second 'side plate to adaptor' screw and the 'spacer bar to adaptor' screw would overlap. Hope that makes sense.
Mike

broschro

I gave it a go with the 99 bars so close.

broschro

mine is the 65 I'm becoming a huge fan of the little reel.