Long Beach 66N - 2 dogs on the bridge

Started by mhc, December 29, 2015, 01:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The 60s and 65s we have on the party boat with greased CFs have no problem catching AJs and Cobias using 40 lb mono. The low gearing helps the tourist.

Ron Jones

I love that low gearing. Works for slow jigging and live bait, and when you have a sea monster on the other end. My dream reel is a 3/0 sized reel with 66 gears, an open and that is 501 width. There are several ways to get there on the 1/0 size, but not the 3/0 that I know of, basically because reel capacity has changed with braid.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mhc

I have decided to do another two dog 3-66 bridge, with a stainless sleeve and dogs, for my 66 and put the brass set into a 60. This time I have taken a couple of photos of the process for anyone that wants to give it a go.

To locate the posts, I place the dogs roughly where I think they will fit, making sure the dog clears the plate and eccentric jack (it helps to use a used plate that has contact marks) then mark the bridge for the first dog with a centre punch

In this case, I want alternating engagement, so I rotated the gear sleeve half the distance between the teeth then positioned the second dog where it will also clear the side plate and eccentric jack

With the dogs roughly in place, mark the spring post locations, again checking clearence

I have used 1/8 and 3/64 brass rod for the dog and spring posts and drill the holes to match - I use a piece of wood with a recess drilled to sit the raised peened back of the gear sleeve post in so the bridge sits flat while drilling the post holes

Mark the rod for the post allowing approx 1/16" to peen the back and slightly longer than needed for the dog.

To peen the back of the post I have drilled a 1/8" to the depth of the post in the corner of a steel plate - this supports the post while it is being peened

Insert the post and peen the back over - I have started marking the back of the hole with an old phillips head screw driver to give the post a better grip. The post can become tight in the plate hole and need twisting to remove it - the marks help secure it in place.

mark and trim the dogs to size, leave a bit of extra length to allow fine tuning  - the dog on the left needs material removed from the 'under side' to clear the the sleeve teeth when engaged

In this case I fine tuned the dogs until they were both too short   :( - I like the point of contact with the tooth and the direction of the tooth to be as close as possible in line with the post - to eliminate loss of effectiveness due to all those applied mechanics moment and vector things that I have forgotten.

Luckily I had two sets of Lee's (Keta) SS 15-99 dogs from some time ago and trimmed another pair a tad longer.

File the posts to height and clean up the plate with a bit of vinegar

I wasn't happy with the pitted stainless 66 spool so I have sent it 'offshore' to be corrected and will post the assembled reel when I get it back from Chris (Rothmar II) In the meantime I am toying with some frame spacers for the 60 to fit a 501 stand, something Ron (noyb72) suggested ages ago.

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

PacRat

Mike,
Thanks for sharing this. I've got more than a few bridges laying around so I think I'll give this a try.

Mike

Rothmar2

Great post Mike. I'm going to be doing this to one my Jigmaster bridges at some stage, and will be able to follow this for reference. Thanks for posting.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

mhc

I've done a quick 'dry run' assembly of the Long Beach 66 using the stainless dogs, gear sleeve, star and handle with the cleaned up spool. It still needs a few final touches, I couldn't quite fit a 5 stack HT 100 drag stack using stock stainless washers, I've got some 0.7 mm carbon sheet I will use for thinner drag washers. Here's a couple of photos of the assembled reel.

Mike

broschro

cool looking reel. love the star. mad max looking :)

RowdyW

Quote from: mhc on March 09, 2016, 09:55:48 AM
I've done a quick 'dry run' assembly of the Long Beach 66 using the stainless dogs, gear sleeve, star and handle with the cleaned up spool. It still needs a few final touches, I couldn't quite fit a 5 stack HT 100 drag stack using stock stainless washers, I've got some 0.7 mm carbon sheet I will use for thinner drag washers. Here's a couple of photos of the assembled reel.

Mike
Mike, use the 6-60 CF washers with the SS metals. You also might have to shorten the spacer sleeve a little.

mhc

Quote from: RowdyW on March 09, 2016, 02:20:29 PM
Mike, use the 6-60 CF washers with the SS metals. You also might have to shorten the spacer sleeve a little.

Thanks Rudy, I'll get some 6-60 CF with my next order from Scott's or Dawn for the other 66 I've got, and cut a set from the 0.7mm CF sheet I've got here to see how it fits on this one.

Broschro - that's one of Adam's (Three se7ens) Newell style drags.

Mike

mhc

A few photos of the finished reel with the double dog bridge, a newell 501 stand and 5 stack drag.

Rothmar2

Look out reef-fish on the GBR.
Looks great with the custom handle and star......

mike1010

mhc

Mattman's post on narrowing squidder and 500 spools has reminded me I've neglected to give Chris (Rothmar2) credit for narrowing the 29M-66 spool to 501 width for me - the standard 66 spool is '99' width. To make the short long beach spool, we sourced a 1/2-28 UEFN die for the 'lock nut' and Chris turned the clicker end to length and hand filed the recesses for the clicker. Hopefully he has photos of the process he used.
Mike