Shimano Tiagra 130 Service Question

Started by Tightlines667, January 02, 2016, 04:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Holocore backing with MoI moi Diamond top would be good IMHO.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FatTuna

So I put my 130s on hold as I was working on reels for other people. Put some time into one today. There were a couple of stripped out screws holding the ratchet plate in place. I figured out a little trick to remove them. I hammered in a torx head drill bit into the stripped out hole. I then used a socket to twist it out. It worked like a charm! Got it out in a couple of minutes.

I went to install the new screws though and they are a different size..... I'm assuming Shimano sent me the right parts but that the first gen and second gen Tiagra use different screws. The question is are the new screws okay to use with the old reel?

Here are some pics.

Btw, I picked up this really cool Tiagra captain's kit online. It came with a whole bunch of spare parts. Extra drag washers, screws, drag plates, belleville washers, multiple sets of gears, etc. It's going to be really handy to have around. Never seen one of these before, thought I would share.

FatTuna

More pics:

Tightlines667

Those newer screws appear to be a smaller diameter, smaller, head, and shorter.. threads appear to be the same.  I would give Shimano a call or email the parts department explainimg what size screw you need.  I never noticed any different/larger ratchet plate screws on the older gene Tiagra 130s that I have serviced.  Those definitely appear different though.. I would make sure you have the correct ones though.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FatTuna

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 01, 2016, 04:26:03 AM
Those newer screws appear to be a smaller diameter, smaller, head, and shorter.. threads appear to be the same.  I would give Shimano a call or email the parts department explainimg what size screw you need.  I never noticed any different/larger ratchet plate screws on the older gene Tiagra 130s that I have serviced.  Those definitely appear different though.. I would make sure you have the correct ones though.

John

Will do. I'll let you know what they say.