Penn 712Z - Bail Spring

Started by Marlinmate, January 02, 2016, 08:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

I'm losing it....have done these before but am missing something.   I've already ruined one bail spring.   What is the "trick" to getting them to snap the bail closed.

I know that one end of the spring fits into the tiny hole on the rotor, but then what.....??

ugh.
FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

foakes

It is generally easier to remove the bail wire and just install the spring in the cavity with the tip of the spring pointing up -- then install the bail arm without the bail wire attached.

Everything will sort itself out properly at that point -- unless you have a left-handed replacement bail spring -- instead of the more typical right hand spring.

If you get stuck -- show us a pic.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handi2

If the bail trip lever is sticking out put the bail arm on so the spring will line up. Don't worry about the position of the bail arm. Get the screw started then trick the bail arm over where it's supposed to be and tighten the screw.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marlinmate

Got it.  Thanks for all the tips.  It's been a while since I've done one of these and forgot just how much you had to manipulate the spring with the bail arm attached in order to get it into place.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS