My First NEW Boat

Started by Wally15, January 07, 2016, 02:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I've probably owned 12-15 boats over the past 40 years, but never a new one. My Javelin bass boat was built in 1989, and I bought it in 1992. After 23 years of frequent use, the transom was starting to show signs of flexing, so I decided I needed  to replace it.
Wanted a boat I could do both saltwater flats fishing and freshwater bass and crappie fishing. Spent a lot of time looking at new and used boats, but just couldn't find the boat I wanted with the accessories I wanted.
I had a good motor on the Javelin (2003 Evinrude 150 HP Ficht w/ only 210 hours), so I decided to just buy the boat and trailer, add my motor, plus all the other accessories I wanted.
I bought a SeaArk aluminum 22' Bay Extreme tunnel hull. Well built, with lots of rod and tackle storage.
Added the following goodies:
Atlas hydraulic jackplate
Minn-Kota 80 lb 24v saltwater trolling motor with I-link
Minn-Kota Talon 10' shallow water anchor
Humminbird 999 trolling motor depthfinder
Humminbird 899 side imaging console depthfinder

Only had it out twice, freshwater both times, but overall I'm pleased with the boat so far. Got some minor "tweaking" to do to a few things, and can't wait to get it down to the flats. If the Gulf is too rough for deep sea fishing in my Proline cuddy, hopefully I can still flats fish in the protected bays.
That was my Christmas present to me. I got the wife an electric broom, a Shark Powerator, or something like that. Supposedly it will suck the hair off a billy goat, and the cord is long enough so that she can use it for short trips around town.
Mike Pate

Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

MarkT

I'd say you came out on the better side of Christmas!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Dominick

Good luck with your new boat.  I'll bring lunch and beers.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

Quote from: Dominick on January 07, 2016, 06:59:23 PM
Good luck with your new boat.  I'll bring lunch and beers.  Dominick
x2. I'm only a state away, much closer than Dominick. The flats of Florida bay are perfect!

Sid
SE FL
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Newell Nut

Need to break it in good with some fish blood and smelly bait.

handi2

Those are great boats and many guys up here in the panhandle of Florida use them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

borchcl

alantani

didn't this guy just say he was bored?   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on January 08, 2016, 02:07:44 AM
didn't this guy just say he was bored?   ;D

be careful Alan... don't get offensive! (from a sensitive poster  :P)

Reel 224

Mike: You have a nice boat, I wish you lots of luck fishing with it.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

Nice. 22 foot?  That's one big runner
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D