for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPW

Hi Guys, new guy question: CorrosionX HD is sold by Okuma as a kit ( oil & Cal's grease ) ($16.00) it seems that the spray can (12oz) @ $15.00 bucks has more bang is there another option?

broadway

Steve,
   I not only use Salt Away but I swear by it.  Not one drop of corrosion on my reels (inside or out) and I never used to oil my reels after a rinse (I started to in the past year) as long as I used salt away. I don't see any difference from before I used oil and now using oil so that will probably go by the wayside.  The salt away is the ticket! I don't use the expensive spray bottle, I buy it by the gallon because I use it on my boat after every trip.  If you go swimming at the beach, come out of the water and dry off, what happens? The water is gone and you're left with little salt crystals that feel like sand all over your skin.  That's the same thing that happens with your line, reel, lures, etc.  I attach the mixing nozzle to my hose and GENTLY douse them down with mixed solution that is diluted something like 500:1.  I don't use soap on my boat during the season unless I get caked on blood or dry bird dookie. I go through approximately 4 gallons per season, yes I have OCD with more than reels. ;)
PS- Works great on road salt, too because that's what it was originally invented for. 
I have zero affiliation with any products I ever mention... if it's good I say it is, if it's bad you'll hear me say even more. ;D
Give it a try,
Dom

swill88

Thanks Alan, thanks Dom, (thanks Sal); now I'm totally confused!

Fortunately I am used to it.

SoCalAngler

I use Salt Away in the condensed form for only one thing and that is to flush the the motor with after I pull the boat out of saltwater when I give it a wash down.

I do the same as Alan for my fishing gear, a good rinse with fresh water of all rods and reels as soon as I get home or if it's late at night the next morning. I also use Corrosion X too but rods and reels get a wipe down about one time a year. This usually happens around this time of year as I get my gear ready for the next season.

handi2

I have a question about splicing Powe Pro Ace hollow core braid. One of my crew members does this and I have never learned.

I need to splice 50 to 60lb fluorocarbon into 60lb hollow ace line. What do I need? Are there good videos?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

antikbuff

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

volante

Hi Guys,
Im thinking of ordering a couple of the Truth SM reels to be used in the UK - shore fishing..
Just thinking that there must be a few members on here who own them, just wanting to know the
pros and cons of these reels. All the feedback Im getting in the UK is on the whole pretty good and with a
lifetime warranty.
Appreciate your views on these reels, many thanks in anticipation.
Rgds,
Davey

alantani

haven't had a chance to go through any yet.  the best thing is to be able to service them yourself.  they should be easy enough to go through, so they should work. 

volante

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the reply, servicing shouldnt be a problem - they have a service eng in UK
that does all the lifetime warranty.
I just thought you might you might have read some peoples reviews on them and how the
reels performed - and if peeps were happy with them
Rgds
Dave

Shoesbasecamp

Hi guys!

I didn't know where or really how to post this somewhere else. I have a Daiwa Exceller 100HSA. The spool has come loose from the shaft inside the spool. I included some pictures of what pieces I'm talking about. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to buy a new spool.

Thanks
Brad

alantani

normally these are pressed in.  best bet would be to get a new spool, but you might be able to drill and tap a small set screw into the spool to hold the spooll shaft. 

alantani

bread

RussellB

Just picked up a new 115L2 and was wondering how to go about getting the 7+1 drags for it?
Thank you,
Russell