for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Quote from: Mauriceescobedo on February 22, 2020, 12:23:01 AM
Hi folks. First time posting. Im working on my progear v32 and want to replace the drag washers. Can anyone direct me to the size I should order? I took photos with a Mike in them and sent them to smooth drag hoping that helps locate them. Any other advice on working this reel? It's a great reel.
Thanks in advance
Maurice

Maurice,
First off, welcome to the forum!

If you've sent the info to Smooth Drag, you did the right thing.  I'm sure you'll get the correct info and parts to get that Pro Gear in top shape.
Post some pictures in the Pro Gear forum when you service it so we can all see as well  ;D
Welcome aboard,
Chad
Husband, Father, Fisherman

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mauriceescobedo

Thanks guys. Will do. I've got it broken down right now but it's father daughter dance night at school so I'll continue later. Cheers.

Jaygrubby

Hello friends! First post, aside from the "welcome" post. I just snagged a used Senator 9/0 on a 6' Davis Big Game Rod for $175 my first proper rod/reel!! Now, I broke her down and cleaned all the metal chrome in vinegar, degreased all operating parts, and I am almost ready to reassemble! For land based shark fishing, catching sharks around 10'...Here's my question: Will the 7+1 drag kit from Bryan get me there, or will I need to get other parts like the SS Guide, bigger Crank arm, etc? Thanks in advance fellas!

RowdyW

If all your used parts are in excellent condition it's a good start. Try it out and see if it is lacking. The 7+1 drag kit is a good option. If you really get serious about your shark fishing then you might want to add upgrades.       Rudy

Jaygrubby

Quote from: RowdyW on May 27, 2021, 05:10:44 PM
If all your used parts are in excellent condition it's a good start. Try it out and see if it is lacking. The 7+1 drag kit is a good option. If you really get serious about your shark fishing then you might want to add upgrades.       Rudy

Thanks for the info! Everything is in good shape, aside from the star for the drag having a bent arm and the bolts to mount the reel to the pole being bent. Both cheap replacements. I currently have 3 thick, hard, black washers in the drag. Not sure if they are stock or not. But you're right, I'll give her a try and see what I can do! Any recommendations on good techniques? I've only don't freshwater fishing, nothing this big before haha.

RowdyW

Those 3 black washers are very old style asbestos brake linings. Get rid of them they are a health hazard. Either get Bryan's 7+ 1 kit through Mystic Parts or at least the Penn 5 Carbon Fiber set with new metal washers. Don't forget to get some Cal's Drag Grease to coat the CF washers & some Penn Blue Grease for the rest of the reel. I would also recommend getting a s/s gear sleeve & s/s dog. The bent arm on the star can be straightened between a couple of rags with a whack of a hammer on a hard surface. If your reel has the original 1 hole arm then I would also get a 2 hole power arm. Either a Penn original arm or an aftermarket one. With the aftermarket one you will also need a knob (t-bar or similar).

Jaygrubby

Quote from: RowdyW on May 27, 2021, 06:35:13 PM
Those 3 black washers are very old style asbestos brake linings. Get rid of them they are a health hazard. Either get Bryan's 7+ 1 kit through Mystic Parts or at least the Penn 5 Carbon Fiber set with new metal washers. Don't forget to get some Cal's Drag Grease to coat the CF washers & some Penn Blue Grease for the rest of the reel. I would also recommend getting a s/s gear sleeve & s/s dog. The bent arm on the star can be straightened between a couple of rags with a whack of a hammer on a hard surface. If your reel has the original 1 hole arm then I would also get a 2 hole power arm. Either a Penn original arm or an aftermarket one. With the aftermarket one you will also need a knob (t-bar or similar).

Oh! Yeah, those drag washers will be replaced asap! Tha KS for the heads up!! I do have the steel gears which is nice. I'll grab the SS gear sleeve and dog next, that should be enough for a while haha. I didn't even think about bending the star back! I've got a table vise with some leather mounts that should be perfect! The power arm sounds great as well, any recommendations on what's best there? Thanks again for all the info, Rowdy!

RowdyW

For power arms there are a lot of options right here on the site. For most instances I prefer the aluminum offset arms available from Black Pearl. The Boss (Alan T.) has s/s arms available. For t-bar knobs I shop fishincomfort & Gomexus on ebay, also Ted (Maxed Out) on this site.

JoseCuervo

Rowdy, I was thinking you would be giving the regular newbie lecture on the stand up fight from the beach against the drag rating by now!

:)

I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend. I hope to see some of you next weekend at the clubhouse!

Rob

RowdyW

Rob, that might still be coming.  ;D ;D  Heck all these years and I still haven't landed any bigger than 7 feet. Everybody starting out does a lot of dreaming.  ::)

Jaygrubby

Quote from: RowdyW on May 28, 2021, 04:30:11 AM
For power arms there are a lot of options right here on the site. For most instances I prefer the aluminum offset arms available from Black Pearl. The Boss (Alan T.) has s/s arms available. For t-bar knobs I shop fishincomfort & Gomexus on ebay, also Ted (Maxed Out) on this site.
Thanks a million! I'll do some research and see what I can find and what I like best! While on the topic of sharks, any techniques you can suggest? I'm no expert but the more knowledge I can have, the better!

RowdyW

Your best bet is to search the internet (youtube), library, old posts from here, etc. Everybody has their own technique. Learn about rigging etc. Daron the Sharkhunter from this site has a lot of tips posted on rigging. When you go to the beach shark fishing you will need a lot of gear to drag along. Daron has now found out it is a lot easier to just get a large high drag spinner & surf pole with just a few extras & make it a 1 trip to the surf instead of many trips back & forth to get all the gear to the beach. Like for instance kayak, tackle, bait, cooler, sand spikes, belts & harnesses, refreshments, etc. etc.. 99% of the time you won't catch any sharks & if you do .05% of the time you will be lucky to catch one over 4 ft. long. Remember Big baits for Big fish!  :D  You have a lot of prep work to learn. Right now all you have is a rod & reel & the reel needs to be prepped first. Then it will be time to get the supplies together for your rigging, like cable, solid wire, very heavy leader, crimps, hooks, weights, swivels, plus the tools to put it all together. Don't forget that when you get the shark into the surf you will need to dehook it & if you can't you will need a decent sized bolt cutter to cut the hook. We can get you there but it will take time & $$ and patience to succeed.

oc1

Shark fishing is becoming a bit dicey and political.  Check local, state and federal laws regarding shark fishing in your area.

RowdyW

Quote from: oc1 on May 28, 2021, 09:07:03 PM
Shark fishing is becoming a bit dicey and political.  Check local, state and federal laws regarding shark fishing in your area.
Or move to a FREE STATE like Florida! Take the shark test & get the license for free. And get a free saltwater rules & regulations booklet free.  ;D ;D