for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

depends on the reel.  check out ebay but don't expect a price break.  manufacturers are usually your best bet. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Christopher M Songer

Always go forward, never go straight

jtyler

I have been looking every where for the 10x12x0.4mm washer you use in the TLD 20/25 video upgrade.  I have found everything else.  Do you know where I can find the washer?  I have 6 TLD25 and 2 TLD20.  The places I have found state they will have to machine them and will be around $130 for a minimum of 100 washers when all I need is 16.

handi2

Alan Tani has them made also. Ask him if he can sell you some.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Sfbaymike

I am going on my first 3 day long range trip out of San Diego in August and i would like to setup a 50# setup. I am looking at 2 reels, the Penn Fathom 40 2 speed or the Penn International 12VISX 2 speed. I am also open to other reels in this size and class. I was going to to put 65# braid and 50# top shot.  I have a Seeker 670H (rated30-80#) I will be using with this setup.
Opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you Mike

SoCalAngler

I use a Fathom 40NLD2 for 60 lb but it will handle 50 lb fine. If you are not going to exceed 50 lb topshots on that reel I'd look at the 25NLD2 size, it will fish 40-50 fine. But for 50-60 and could to 80 lb in a pinch I like the 40NLD2. Since braid backing I see no need for you to go with wider reels.

The rod you have is great for 50 lb, oh and welcome to the AT site.

MarkT

For 50#, I'd go with the Fth40nld2 over the Int12visx.  The Fathom would be good for yoyo/bombs as well as live bait.  It's just a more versatile tool.   For 50#, I use an Avet JX Raptor and a Daiwa Saltiga 40ld2, both with 400yds of 65# spectra and a 50# topshot.  The Talica 12 is that same size too.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Sfbaymike

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 11, 2019, 05:42:29 PM
I use a Fathom 40NLD2 for 60 lb but it will handle 50 lb fine. If you are not going to exceed 50 lb topshots on that reel I'd look at the 25NLD2 size, it will fish 40-50 fine. But for 50-60 and could to 80 lb in a pinch I like the 40NLD2. Since braid backing I see no need for you to go with wider reels.

The rod you have is great for 50 lb, oh and welcome to the AT site.

Thank you,

Sfbaymike

Quote from: MarkT on February 11, 2019, 07:11:00 PM
For 50#, I'd go with the Fth40nld2 over the Int12visx.  The Fathom would be good for yoyo/bombs as well as live bait.  It's just a more versatile tool.   For 50#, I use an Avet JX Raptor and a Daiwa Saltiga 40ld2, both with 400yds of 65# spectra and a 50# topshot.  The Talica 12 is that same size too.

Thank you

SoCalAngler

Mark,
Just wondering why you would say to go with a 40NLD2 over a sized reel you like? The 25NLD2 is right around the size of the Jx Raptor and IMO a much more comfortable reel to fish than the 40N for yoyo and bait with 50lb toppers.

I fish a standard JX two speed for 40 lb and like you said a Raptor would be better for 50 lb test. But, the 40NLD2 is a much bigger reel in over all size than the 25NLD2 and JX Raptor.

I know this is about what feels right to the owner but the 25N gets more than enough drag and has the cranking power to handle 50 lb no problem. So why do you like the larger reel? Just curious here.

Antipodean

Hello all and thank you Alan for providing such a great resource.
I'm posting here for the first time just to find my way around the system and hoping someone can tell me what I have.
I've always been fascinated by accuplated reels and bought one on eeb a little while ago.They are exceptionally  thin on the ground in my parts  and no one nearby  really knows anything about them other than that they exist.. I've asked for some help in other places but again not much luck so far. I purchased a jigmaster.  The reel has accuplates and accuframe  ...it works, is in very good condition, however, anything but "accurate". I'm most disappointed with the spool .   I think it is an accurate spool,  maybe tiburon,  may be even  a red Penn  spool...I've not had enough contact with these to tell.
The problem is that the spool seems just a touch small in all  dimensions. The build quality is astounding, but thats where it ends.  The bearings are screwed all the way in on both sides but there is still about 1/16"to 1/8" sideways slop meaning that the spool rattles when the reel is moved side to side and you could imagine the problem on casting. The axle just seems too short. Furthermore, the spool to frame gap easily eats 45 lb mono. I was always under the impression that a properly set up accuplated reel just doesn't do this even with 15lb mono.
I've thought about shimmying the bearings, but it seems a specially designed bearing puller is required. That may not stop the line eating although it couldn't make it worse. The line may be finding it's way merely because the spool is shifting and creating an opening.
Have I just got the wrong spool for this reel, or is this how they start off before a whole pile of serious tweaking? Is it  possible to simplify a tweak and insert a couple of Teflon , bronze or brass spacers the diameter of the axle into the bearings without removing them from the cap in order to obtain lateral adjustment?
Hope someone can shed light on it for me... 4 pics attached

Swami805

The easy way is to shim it but those bearing can be hard to get out. I can see a "dimple" in the picture of the bearing cup next to the edge of the bearing, I've had accurates with those and they can be a bear to get out. That "dimple" seems to hold them in. Search around on here for different methods of getting out stuck bearings,  I don't know how to post a link. A small  screw driver with a bent tip like a mini crowbar is helpful but I've ruined a few on those accurate bearings like that. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pull the bearings and clean them out for better performance anyway.
Oh and Welcome
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Antipodean

Thank you Swami.
I've actually purchased a used accuplate bearing in a cup to practice with that removal tool on this particular setup. I know it works fine with many other reels I have serviced....somehow I don't like my chances of getting the bearing out without destroying it because of that dimple. I'm also wondering whether putting in a number of shims to the near full diameter if the cup to make up for this large amount of slop  won't mean that the bearing will sit way too proud and interfere with, say the clicker gear.....that's why I was thinking if a  "bullet  into each bearing..... .but as you say, sooner or later the bearing will need to come out of the cup.

alantani

this is just wrong, all the way around.  honestly, the first thing i'd do is find another jigmaster spool to see if the problem is the frame or the spool.  there is no way that this can be correct.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

I'm with Alan on this.  I suspect that you have a wrong spool.  There should not be a gap that eats line.  I checked your profile to see where you are located.  It was blank.  Put in a location so that someone nearby may be able to help.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.