for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

That red spool is a Penn spool.... Accurate never made a jigmaster 500 spool. I'd try a different spool as already suggested by the boss and his wing man

Also check the handle side bearing cup to make sure it cannot be screwed farther in. Those bearing cups are famous for being very tough to turn the last couple threads

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Antipodean

Yes thanks all ... I've been in  the process of trying to get my hands on a jigmaster spool. (I dumbly sold off all my senators, jig masters squidders surf masters etc years ago when support for them here became non existent).  If it fits I'll get a new Chinese made jig master and use that aluminium  spool....assuming the old and new spools are interchangeable. . Why is this a little bit less straightforward than you might think?  You can find me by going to Key West. Then head south about 4500 miles, turn left and go another 7000 miles. When you hit the Whitsunday islands you'll find a number of  accurate enthusiasts...unfotunately that number is "1".
I sold off my older penns because they are no longer supported in Australia....Chinese jig masters aren't even sold here. If I want one, I have to import  it from New Zealand. Tiburon doesn't deal with anyone outside of the States.....I know...you ask why did I buy the accurate?  Curiosity and appreciation of fine engineering. I'm still determined to sort this out...
Should an aluminium spool out of a Chinese 500l fit an accurate frame by the way?

mhc

I've got a couple of black 500 spools I don't need - send me a PM with your name and address and I'll send one up (from around 250 miles south and 100 miles east of the Whitsundays).

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

foakes

Great folks on Alan's site, Antipodean —

As for Tiburon Parts — spools, frames, etc. —

"Tiburon doesn't deal with anyone outside of the States..."

Randy, on our site, owner of Vintage Offshore Tackle — is our distributor for Tiburon.  Just let him know what you want, he will provide a quick availability and answer — and has no issues shipping to Australia at the lowest cost possible.  He works very closely with Tib — and has some amazing and impressive products and availability.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Antipodean

WOW..great folks indeed!

Thank you, Mike. I didn't realise I was not the only one on this  site who had a great view of the edge if the earth.
I've  one more option left that I will explore after easter to get my hands on a 500 spool to try. If that local solution doesn't work  I will very thankfully accept your offer.

Thanks Fred. I'll see how this pans out and make sure a standard 500 spool fits before I look at a tib.
That'll certainly  be a welcome option having seen the statement on tiburons site that they only post to a US Address.

And Ted, I've tried the right side thread, but didn't use any pressure. Don't have the reel with me but I'll look at that again later... that'd be nice if it solved the problem. ..thanks for the tip.

Donnyboat

Yes Randy, is very good to deal with, his word is good , & his prices are medium to low, good Man, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Sssssup! Antipodean. Welcome to the site.
Agree with Maxed Out(Ted), I have 2 red aluminium spools from Penn that look exactly like yours, especially with that c-clip lookin part on the head-plate side shaft.
Love those Accuplates n' frames, but don't have a regular Accurate/500 to test my 2-spools on (only got the JM 500 magnum and the extra wide JM 500).
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Antipodean

Hello G fish
Are you saying that it will do me no good to purchase a Chinese jig master for the spool?
Regards
Noel

salmonbelly

I am new to this site and to reel repair.  Having looked around the site and read many posts, I am enthusiastic about getting started with servicing my reels as it seems that there will be expert help available for the inevitable rookie mistakes.  Thank you in advance!

I have a new Torium 20 still in the box.  What are the most important things I should do to this reel before introducing it to salt water?  It appears from other posts that replacing the drag washers with Carbonex washers is a good upgrade.  Would you replace the washers before using the reel for the first time?  Aside from Corrosion X, Cal's dray grease and Yamaha Blue grease and standard tools, are there parts or tools that I should have on hand before opening a reel for the first time?

There probably is a thread for this question, but I couldn't find it.  It seems most of the threads I came across have to do with repair of reels that already have issues or corrosion damage.  Thanks for your help!

Ron Jones

My search-fu is broken, otherwise I would be providing a link to a thread Alan did o this. Basically, you need to grease everything according to any of Alan's tutorials, expecially the screws, and swap out CF washers if they aren't there. Then fish the reel as much as possible to see if there is anything you want to change. You can spend a lt of money buying parts for a reel that end up not being what you are looking for.

Welcome aboard.

Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gfish

Quote from: Antipodean on April 18, 2019, 08:49:29 AM
Hello G fish
Are you saying that it will do me no good to purchase a Chinese jig master for the spool?
Regards
Noel
Sorry for the incomeplete thought/post. You probably have an aluminium JM 500 spool. The shaft ends are designed for bushings. The spool designed for ballbearing model Jig Master model(HS)has longer shafts. I think Allen, Dominick and Ted are right though, you probably need a diffrent spool. Edit: the standard 500 spool works in bushing model Jig Masters, Accuplates with ballbearings and Cortez Classic JM 500 reels, but not in the 505/506 HS Jig Masters.

I have looked closely at the Penn HS 505/506 Jig Master(ballbearing) vs the 500(bushing) spools, and there is an incompatible diffrence between them based on shaft lengths.

Now you've got me interested to find out about the diffrences between the Accurate and Penn spool shafts. Stand by... I know that my Accurate 500 Mag. has an Accurate spool in it, and the extra-wide Super Jig Master has a Tiburon spool paired with standard 500-Accuplates...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

Quote from: salmonbelly on April 29, 2019, 02:04:47 PM
I am new to this site and to reel repair.  Having looked around the site and read many posts, I am enthusiastic about getting started with servicing my reels as it seems that there will be expert help available for the inevitable rookie mistakes.  Thank you in advance!

I have a new Torium 20 still in the box.  What are the most important things I should do to this reel before introducing it to salt water?  It appears from other posts that replacing the drag washers with Carbonex washers is a good upgrade.  Would you replace the washers before using the reel for the first time?  Aside from Corrosion X, Cal's dray grease and Yamaha Blue grease and standard tools, are there parts or tools that I should have on hand before opening a reel for the first time?

There probably is a thread for this question, but I couldn't find it.  It seems most of the threads I came across have to do with repair of reels that already have issues or corrosion damage.  Thanks for your help!

you likely have the A-series.  i think the drag washers are already greased carbon fiber.  for now, back out each exposed screw, one at a time, grease them and replace them.  servicing the reel is very tedious.  it's straight in, straight out, but there are alot of parts that have to be kept in order. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

I'm not sure about that. Tom's sideplates all have bearings, and a bunch of them are for bearing reels. I'm relatively certain you can use a 500 spool with Accuplates, assuming their not Magnum plates, of course.
Ron Jones
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Gfish

Thanks Ron, I'll check it out. My Tom's reels(Cortez Classics) were kits with the spools, and one I put a Tiburon spool in...