for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salmonbelly

Alan,

Thank you so much for the advice.  While I want to protect my reel from saltwater damage, I wasn't sure I wanted to take apart the whole reel unless you thought that was advisable/necessary right out of the box.  As I understand your suggestion, carefully remove and grease all the exposed screws and leave it at that for now.  Then considered fully servicing the reel at the end of the season?

How do I tell if it's a "series A" reel?

Thanks again for your advice!

Antipodean

Aaa...HA!...GFISH. ..you are on the money.
I just now received a  mint jig master 500l Chinese made reel that I found in the bay and tried it on the accuplates. Problem solved...plenty of lateral adjustment , AND the shoulder profile is far far more favourable. Haven't tried it in real life yet, but the frame to spool tolerances look good enough to  handle 25lb or 30 lb mono....I'm a happy camper. This is now a beautiful reel after luckily,  the simplest of fixes. I see why these have a cult following. Beautifully sturdy US engineering and the precursor to so many modern classics.
The bonus is that the donor reel accepts the red spool and is fully functional.
So,  lessons from this exercise?..1. Red penn 500 spools don't fit accuframes. 2. People on this site are the cream of the fishing fraterity. I appreciate everyone's help and hope that I can also  be a future valued contributor.

Noel.

Gfish

Cool!
Only some of my info. was inaccurate. I tested a red aluminium Penn spool, Tiburon spool, chromed brass Penn spool and one from a C.C. kit. Mix & matching with 3 diffrent reels, including two with ballbearings and one with bushings, and everything fit with everything else!, including on an Accuplates/Tib. frame reel!?!.
Also, I mentioned a possible need for a 500 Accurate spool. Ted stated that there isn't an Accurate 500 spool which is probably true, but I would never have guessed that.
Could your red al. penn spool have been damaged???
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Antipodean

The red spool  looks completely iintact, undamaged and unmodified. I was at one time wondering if it was a spool meant for a Penn 500.

Antipodean

What really surprised me is that the red spool works well in the 500L...the frame/spool gap even looks acceptable even though it was completely  unacceptable on the accuframes. I can only wish I could "go figure". The  only difference is that the  Axle length on the red spool is about 1/8" shorter than the black.  But there is enough adjustment on the 500L spool bearings to make it work. It could well be that for some reason a previous owner shortened the axle on that spool.

Ron Jones

I'm thinking your anniversary spool is on the shorter side of tolerance, just short enough to not wotk in the accuplates.
Weird.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

joel8080

I have a Red spool in my 500 with Accurate frame and side plates also it has the Bearing adjuster that Tom made,no problems at all spins true and like a top.

joel8080
Oceanside,California

Sharky McCatcher

Hi, friends! Is there a tutorial for magging a Penn star drag reel? I want to mag my Jigmaster 500.
Thanks!
My real hobby is THINKING about fishing.

alantani

i've never magged anything, so i wouldn't know, but many guys here have done so.  if you go back to the front page and type in "magging" into the search bar, a bunch of posts come up.  hope this helps a little.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CharterMaster

Hello how do I contact Alan and the guys about servicing and upgrading some reels?

Phishface

I have a penn 500 jigmaster, With an after market aluminum frame and side plates on it. I don't like the range of Drag I'm getting out of it, would a belvider (sp) washer or two under the star adjuster get a more subtle range of drag pressure out of it? It seems to go from barely any drag pressure to almost to much very quickly when I turn the star adjuster. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Alto Mare

First thing that comes to mind is your spacer sleeve.
It might be a little long, you could order a shorter one from mysticreelparts.com
Or you could sand it down a little.
At times it could also be crossed threads on the star, but I would start with the spacer sleeve.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Phishface on July 30, 2019, 01:21:40 AM
I have a penn 500 jigmaster, With an after market aluminum frame and side plates on it. I don't like the range of Drag I'm getting out of it, would a belvider (sp) washer or two under the star adjuster get a more subtle range of drag pressure out of it? It seems to go from barely any drag pressure to almost to much very quickly when I turn the star adjuster. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.
I personally would switch out the gear sleeve and Star with parts from the Penn 505 or 506. The gear sleeve threads are finer for a more subtle adjustment.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Do you have a wavy washer on top of the drag stack? If so is it a new one or a almost flatened out old one? The wavy washers tend to make the adjustment more gradual. Multible stacked wavy washers on top of each other tend to bring the pressure on quicker.