for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkb8

I have a penn 200A reel I was wondering if it could be a African import reel?

mo65

Cool! It sure appears to be another export reel...first time I've seen the "A" slapped on a Surfy...great find! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

AC49

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

The Mike Sullivan

I just inherited a few DAM Quick reels from my dad, one of which is a Microlite 265.
Everything looks great, even the original box with owners manual and a little bottle of oil and a few spare parts.
The only issue is the anti-reverse lever is loose/wobbly and I can see the fine threads are stripped so the 5mm nut can't get a good grip.
Also the "drag spring" looks bent. I think the threaded piece is called the "eccentric bolt".
The part numbers in the manual are 265-34 for the drag spring and 265-38 for the bolt.
Are these parts available anywhere? I'd love to be able to use these reels if possible.
The Microlite was on a Fenwick 5'6" Ferralite rod, there is also a Quick 220 on a Fenwick 6 1/2' Ferralite,
and a Quick Finnessa on a Fenwick 8 1/2' ferralite steelhead pole that looks unused.
The two larger reels are in great shape, but the Microlite needs attention.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

alantani

Welcome.  There a couple of guys that have an inventory of psrts. Hopefully one of them will chime in!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome aboard!

Are these the parts you need?

If so, PM me with your full name and address — and I can send them to you.

$5 + $5 shipping in a bubble envelope.

Your Father had good taste in quality rods and reels — nice combos.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

The message they sent you was:

Hi, yes the threaded bolt is one piece I need, I think the nut is fine.
the spring I need is the wire spring that hooks into the slot on the bolt at one end,
and hooks over what I would call the "clicker lever" at the other end.
The spring is called the "drag spring" in the parts list, but it is an internal part of the anti-reverse mechanism.
What I referred to as the "clicker lever" is called the "drag lever" in the diagram.
It's amazing that you would have these parts!

The spring is shaped something like this:      _____O_____l
Thanks, Mike

———————————————————

OK, these should be the parts you need, I believe, Mike —

The part numbers you gave me I recognized from a later "Gladding" parts listing — after they assumed distribution and merged with DQ for the purpose of North American Distribution for a short period of time.

They got a few of the parts descriptions wrong, or mis-labeled.  The only spring on the "drag" that made sense to me — was the round compression wavy spring washer.  Sorry for the error.

Now I see what you are talking about — it is actually the anti-reverse dog spring.  

If these will work, send me your full name and address — and I will get them mailed today.

They are new old stock from around 1960.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

The Mike Sullivan

Here is a pic of the diagram. The parts I need are Numbered 34 and 36.

The Mike Sullivan

Thanks Fred, those are the parts exactly.
I have sent an email with my address. Here are some pics of the gear I picked up.
The rod at the bottom is one I made for my dad's retirement in 1985
from a Fenwick blank.

foakes

Nice lineup, Mike —

Those are all top quality reels.

The 1001 is a neat little reel.

If these reels were manufactured today — with the exact same designs and materials — I would expect them to run in the $200 to $300 range.

Parts will go out this afternoon if the PO is open when we head down to Church — otherwise, first thing tomorrow morning. You should see the parts hopefully Saturday, maybe Friday.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

wlonderee

Hi all,
I have an old Penn International 965 reel (15-17 years old I think...). I use it for catching opelu off my kayak for bait. The reel's drag broke and is now has alot of resistance when pulling off line and cannot be adjusted.

Is this old Penn worth fixing? Are the drags easy to fix? I have tried greasing all the bearings and gears but I cannot find out why it is sticking.

If not worth fixing it will become an office decoration.

Thanks,
Billy

Swami805

With this group there are very few that would tell you to junk it, I'd bet you could find the schematic on the mystic site, pull it apart and see what's wrong. If you're stumped post some pictures, shouldn't be anything crazy. Give it a shot. Welcome
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

billy, they are very nice, but there have always been corrosion issues with this reel.  there is a full rebuild post for the 975.  it's very close.  take a look.  it might be salvageable. 

https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Mauriceescobedo

Hi folks. First time posting. Im working on my progear v32 and want to replace the drag washers. Can anyone direct me to the size I should order? I took photos with a Mike in them and sent them to smooth drag hoping that helps locate them. Any other advice on working this reel? It's a great reel.
Thanks in advance
Maurice