for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaygrubby

Ok, bought everything! Last question, (for now anyway haha) I have the standard chrome covered brass rails for a "frame" will this work or are they other affordable frame alternatives?? Cortez Conversions is out of stock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-115L2-Senator-Conventional-Fishing-Reel-Part-Frame-/264816188607?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

RowdyW

There's no other options until Tom at CC produces some more. It's just a sideline for him, his machinery is busy with better paying jobs. The only other option is to watch ebay or other sources to find a used Accurate 9/0 frame which are very scarce & expensive. You could post in the Wanted To Buy section for anybody on the forum that has a aluminum half frame frame from CC that they want to sell. You will have to use what you have for now & be patient. The L2 graphite frame is for the latest 9/0's made in china. It also has less mounting holes. The graphite frames are just a cost alternative to the brass base & posts & not any better.

Jaygrubby

Thanks, Rowdy! It's almost like you know what you're talking about!  ;) I appreciate all the feedback and the time you've taken to help! Hopefully you'll see me soon enough with some big boys! Keep 'em tight!

RowdyW

Watcha mean "almost" ?   ::)   :D

Jaygrubby

Hey it's me, back again with questions! After a thorough inspection of the line on my reel, I decided to remove it all. It had me concerned to say the least. Having said that, what should I be replacing it with? So, to recap: Penn 9/0 with upgrades, kayaking baits out on the shore, fishing for sharks. I'm leaning towards 80-100# braid, with a mono topshot, followed by my hand made leaders. What does the salty crew think? Thanks!

RowdyW

I would use 100# braid & topped with 50yds of 80# mono. And pack the braid real tight.         Rudy

Jaygrubby

Rudy once again with a great and timely answer! That's precisely what I was considering. Time to add another thing to the shopping cart haha.

Hock

Hey guys, quick question(maybe not depending on answers lol).  I'm looking to get an older reel like one of the Penn Senator's or Daiwa Sealines for Grouper, Amberjack, and the occasional medium sized shark(bull sharks).  Originally I was looking at the 9/0's of each but now I'm starting to consider a 6/0 with the upgraded drags.  Would this be sufficient in yalls opinion or should I go ahead and still aim for the 9/0 and send it in for a drag rebuild?

oc1

What kind of line will you use?  A 6/0 will hold a lot of Spectra braid.

Hock

Quote from: oc1 on August 15, 2021, 07:28:06 PM
What kind of line will you use?  A 6/0 will hold a lot of Spectra braid.
Either pure mono or braid backing with mono top shot 100lb range. 

Bill B

For the 6/0 the Senator 114HLW will fit the bill.  It has the same gear train as the 9/0.  Make sure you have grease carbon fiber drags and a handle upgrade.  Wait on the gear sleeve until you strip the old brass one, but that is pretty Rafael if you keep the handle nut tight.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Clc

looking for a brace post and three threaded inserts for a c447 newell. Will any penn posts fit or be close? ty much

Swami805

Your reel has the long screws and you need those inserts for the ends of them?  I have some I'm sure laying around. PM your address and I'll send them too you.
I'm pretty sure that one of the bars from a penn will work. Can't remember which one but if you post the length on here I'd bet someone has one.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishugo

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 09, 2016, 11:12:07 PM
Who Dey! ;D
Nice setup Sid.

My primary interest has always been classic fly reels, but when I stumbled recently onto a trove of spinning reels, I became quite interested in their gyroscopic geometry.