for first timers. new members, or even veterans that just need a quick answer

Started by alantani, January 09, 2016, 10:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

I would say that it was bent . The center line of the spool shaft should run to the middle of your first guide .    It can be adjusted with a little heat on the reel stem .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

fiffe69

Quote from: oldmanjoe on April 01, 2023, 03:52:58 AMI would say that it was bent . The center line of the spool shaft should run to the middle of your first guide .    It can be adjusted with a little heat on the reel stem .

Hi Joe, Thank you! Yes, and it seems weird to me because it looks like it has not been fished a lot, in general looks in a good shape.

Midway Tommy

Yeah, it's been bent, quite a bit, actually. Dam's alloy left something to be desired in that era. Nice reels but the alloy was a little soft. That seems to happen quite a bit. The good thing is, since it's kind of soft, and if you go at it slowly and carefully you should be able to get it back fairly close to original alignment without weakening too much.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Like Tom sez —-

It has been bent quite a bit.

Generally, with a smaller bend or stand twist issue —- it can be straightened in a wood-faced vise with no heat.

In this case, the stand stem will break if tried cold —- guaranteed.

The reel needs to come apart —- and with just the frame stand in a wood-faced vise —- a careful application of heat from a propane torch will likely do the trick.

The key here is slow, careful, and not too much heat directly applied.  Then, when it is realigned —- STOP.  Let it cool naturally, and don't try to adjust it any more.

You can then repaint the frame, if you wish.

If you crack the frame during this procedure —- no worries —- I have replacements.

Your DQ1401 (one of the best DQ spinning reels ever produced) is a 1982 model, the first year of production.  In 1983, DQ started using the black crank handles instead of the chrome cranks.

The reason it was very lightly used is because after the owner bent it —- they figured it wasn't useful anymore. So it just got tossed in a drawer or a corner.

It is well worth repairing properly.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

fiffe69

Quote from: Midway Tommy on April 01, 2023, 03:17:06 PMYeah, it's been bent, quite a bit, actually. Dam's alloy left something to be desired in that era. Nice reels but the alloy was a little soft. That seems to happen quite a bit. The good thing is, since it's kind of soft, and if you go at it slowly and carefully you should be able to get it back fairly close to original alignment without weakening too much.

Hi Tom, Thank you!

fiffe69

Quote from: foakes on April 01, 2023, 04:16:07 PMLike Tom sez —-

It has been bent quite a bit.

Generally, with a smaller bend or stand twist issue —- it can be straightened in a wood-faced vise with no heat.

In this case, the stand stem will break if tried cold —- guaranteed.

The reel needs to come apart —- and with just the frame stand in a wood-faced vise —- a careful application of heat from a propane torch will likely do the trick.

The key here is slow, careful, and not too much heat directly applied.  Then, when it is realigned —- STOP.  Let it cool naturally, and don't try to adjust it any more.

You can then repaint the frame, if you wish.

If you crack the frame during this procedure —- no worries —- I have replacements.

Your DQ1401 (one of the best DQ spinning reels ever produced) is a 1982 model, the first year of production.  In 1983, DQ started using the black crank handles instead of the chrome cranks.

The reason it was very lightly used is because after the owner bent it —- they figured it wasn't useful anymore. So it just got tossed in a drawer or a corner.

It is well worth repairing properly.

Best, Fred

Hi Fred, Thank you! I sort of knew (the bent part) but was hoping to be wrong. I will see if I can somehow follow those steps and fix it (I will do my best... ). I know now that not everything is lost :) as you said then, if I break it I know where to find the part, that give me confident to try the above procedure.

Thanks again!
Hiroel

Kenkeay

I'm a new member.  I recently bought and stripped/reassembled an all post design Penn Senator 114H I intend to use.   

My question is are there any guides available on this forum or elsewhere, or a more appropriate thread on which to post in this forum to get help estimating its age?  I found only some hints with the search terms I tried.  An online schematic suggests the open all post design dates it to before 1996, but beyond that I am guessing.  Even dating it within a 5-10 year range would satisfy my curiosity.  Here are some of the features of my reel that, if they are original, may help date it:

Drag washers cannot be accessed without disassembling reel;

Anti-reverse dog spring is a bent copper(?) leaf;

Most external metalwork (rings, posts, reel stand, handle) was chromed bronze (I replaced the cracked  exterior rings with new stainless ones);

Aluminum spool, not anodized;

Senator114H 3.jpgSenator114H 2.jpg 
If there are other diagnostic features I could check or other photos I could take that would help, I'll be happy to.  Thanks.

Bill B

Welcome.  There is not a lot of information on the Special Senators regarding dates.  With an aluminum spool I would say it's an 80's reel.  With internal drags more knowledgeable members will chime in and give you a start date of when internals we're introduced.  The 114H is a workhorse and will serve you well.  With carbon fiber drags and a handle upgrade it will fight well above its weight class.  If you can scrounge an OEM full frame your golden.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Hardy Boy

That is a chrome spool. Not an old reel as it has bearings and as you noted no external drag access. Stout reels as Bill said.

Todd
Todd

Kenkeay

Ooops, my apologies for uploading copies of a couple photos.  Not sure how that happened. 

Many thanks for your thoughts.  I'm pretty sure it's an aluminum spool; before re-assembling the reel and spooling the braid I cleaned and polished it.  I do plan to use it with some pride (it was not as pretty when I got it)

Swami805

Pretty sure the spool isn't aluminum, the aluminum spools have a different shoulder
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Keta

Quote from: Swami805 on May 06, 2023, 10:35:56 AMPretty sure the spool isn't aluminum, the aluminum spools have a different shoulder

And aluminum does not shine like this chromed spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Steelyfinn

I recently acquired a Penn 9 reel and have a question about its spool.  I've read that they came with either plastic or chromed brass spools and later with aluminum spools.  The spool that came on this reel looks more like brushed stainless than any chromed brass I'm familiar with.  The reel had its original leather drags and looked like it's never been opened up.
Does anyone know if this is definitely a brass spool, and if it would be safe to load it with 15 or 20# monofilament without Dacron backing?

Thanks,
Jon

Steelyfinn

JasonGotaProblem

I'm pretty sure it's a 3 piece brass spool. I'll let the experts answer what line is best.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.