Greasing Stuck Spool Bearings in 113H

Started by CaptainRMF, January 12, 2016, 01:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Hi guys, was wondering if there is any way to regrease the spool bearings in a 113H that WILL NOT come out of the cups. I've searched most of the boards but could not find an exact answer. Reel is completely torn down and cleaned including the bearings. Want to put back together but not sure about bearings. Thanks.                                                                                                                                             Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Reel 224

Richy; You could try Alan's grease gun needle valve adapter to force grease into the bearings.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

steelfish

interested in this too

those bearings never come out from the cup either the right or left side bearing, I just normally clean them really well with carb cleaner, let them dry, and add as many grease I could fit and them add a hump of grease and push it with the thumb, not the best way but so far so good.

The Baja Guy

alantani

if the bearing is ok, you can pull the outside shield, clean if from one side, replace the shield or not, lube it and call it a day.  if the bearing is bad and is stuck badly, then heat if up with a torch, then hit it with freeze-off (do this outside), let it sit for a while and try again.  these can be very frustrating.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Those are tough to work with, but there are tools that get them out in seconds, I use the mini puller.
The problem with that tool, they're not cheap.
If you want to, place them in an envelope and sent them to me, I'll get them out for you, but you will need to clean them, unless you want me to pack tem with grease.
I just don't feel like removing shields and put them back, if you don't mind me leaving one of the shields off, I will clean the bearings and add a drop of oil...your call.
this will be on me, shipping back to you will also be on me, just let me know,

Sal

Sorry boss...typing at the same time.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 13, 2016, 02:24:15 AM
Those are tough to work with, but there are tools that get them out in seconds, I use the mini puller.
If you want to, place them in an envelope and sent them to me, I'll get them out for you, but you will need to clean them, unless you want me to pack tem with grease.
I just don't feel like removing shields and put them back, if you don't mind me leaving one of the shields off, I will clean the bearings and add a drop of oil...your call.

Sal

That sounds like the best offer to me Richy. :)

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 13, 2016, 02:24:15 AM

Sal

Good morning Sal. Want to thank you for your generous offer. Did think about buying that puller but a little pricey for me as I only work on my own reels. I would be honored to have you work on my bearings. I have 6 sets. 4 sets for 113H and 2 sets for 113HL but I believe all the bearings are the same. If you have time and could pull them clean and grease them I would be a Happy Boy.  ;D ;D   However your time is not FREE. Give me a bill or I could trade you if you need anything in the following pics. PM me the info. Also not in a rush so don't. Thank you again so much. This is why I am glad to be a part of this wonderful site, because of people like you and the BOSS.                                                                Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Reel 224

CaptainRMF

This is why this is the best reel site with the best people bar none. I did not have the knowledge or the right tools to do the right job. That's when Sal stepped in to bail me out. Sent him the bearings on Fri. and done by Sun. Sal is " THE MAN ". I am forever greatfull for his generosity and hope I can pay it forward at some point in time.
Richy aka CaptainRMF

steelfish

awesome but not surprised.

Sal is a great guy
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Thanks guys.
Ricky, if I knew you were going to post my pics, I would have done a better job ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 18, 2016, 01:01:15 AM
Thanks guys.
Ricky, if I knew you were going to post my pics, I would have done a better job ;D
Sal
Hey Sal, hope you didn't mind that I posted your pics. I just wanted to show all the rookies like me what a properly cleaned and greased bearing should look like when it's done the right way. I think the pics. came out great, they are already in my photo album with all my other reel pics. Thanks.              Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Reel 224

Quote from: CaptainRMF on January 18, 2016, 01:29:06 PM
Thanks guys.
Sal
Hey Sal, hope you didn't mind that I posted your pics. I just wanted to show all the rookies like me what a properly cleaned and greased bearing should look like when it's done the right way. I think the pics. came out great, they are already in my photo album with all my other reel pics. Thanks.              Richy

;D ;D ;D I told you so! ;)

Joe

Alto Mare

Quote from: CaptainRMF on January 18, 2016, 01:29:06 PM
Thanks guys.
Sal
Not at all Richy, that's what we do here. Besides, I believe I have a couple of other pics around here   ;D

Sal

broadway

Class act move, Sal.  As others have said, not surprised.  8) ...I now have 29 days, 21 hours, and 30 minutes in this place, and still loving it.
I just typically let those stay in until they "crap the bed", and then buy new ones.
It looks like that puller works for you major league tinkerer/repairmen.  Wish it were cheaper, so I didn't have to pull my shoulder and wrist out of the socket prying them out overtime.
Thanks
Dom