OK to Use Cal's Drag Grease on Felt Drag Washers?

Started by sundaytrucka, January 13, 2016, 03:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

So, is it ok to use Cal's on a spinners felt drag washers?

Thanks.   

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

alantani

i've had them get really sticky with oil or a hydrocarbon based grease. never tried teflon.  it might actually work......  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

cbar45

I prefer a small amount of light machine-grade oil on felt and leather rather than grease...The one time I tried using Cal's on felt, it made the drag very smooth, but its stopping power went down..i.e. I had to really bottom out the drag knob just to get any usable drag..

I should have probably tried again using just a touch of Cal's, but switched to carbon fiber when it became available in sheet form and never looked back..

Chad

cbar45

Quote from: alantani on January 13, 2016, 03:22:48 AM
i've had them get really sticky with oil...

I was shown how to mix machine oil with a tiny amount of never-seez in order  to prevent sticking of the felt and leather drags....Worked great, but I don't remember the mix ratio, or exactly which product it was... : :-\

Chad

sundaytrucka

I am going to give it a shot.

I have two size 15 spinners, using them for 2# test trout fishing, one has a CF washer greased with Cal's, the one in question I will try it out Cal's on felt and let you know how it goes.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Bryan Young

2# test?  I would use oil. Cal's may be too sticky.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!