Reel Definitions?

Started by steelhead_killer, January 15, 2016, 06:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

So I am new to the Penn program and I see many names that have conflicting definitions online.  It would be helpful to have a break down of what make what.

Example:

Yellowtail Special
Wahoo Special
Grouper Special
Baja Special

Frame Size, Spool size, gear ratio's etc...  Is there a place to glean this info in one place? 

Thanks!

Andy
><)))">

Shark Hunter

These are all modifications of Senators.
Some wide, some narrow, different spools and parts can make any of these.
You have to do your homework. ;)

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Yellowtail Special= Carl Newell kit that turned a Penn 4/0 Special Senator (113H, red) into a 66 width reel (made it narrower)
Wahoo Special = Carl Newell kit that turned a Penn 349 into a wider reel (I believe the same width as a Yellowtail Special)
Grouper Special= A reel developed on this board that uses a Yellowtail Special stand to let a 4/0 Senator (113, black) into a narrower and slightly faster reel using Longbeach 66 parts
Baja Special= Penns version of a Yellowtail Special with a few updates.

There are other Newell kits and things you can do with Penn conventional reels, but those are what you asked for. As far as the particulars, you will have to search this forum, I don't have the three lifetimes it would take to write those text books.

Ron
From the sunset side of Oahu
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

sdlehr

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 15, 2016, 07:34:05 AM
Homework done by Ron. ;)
How anyone can just spout this stuff off from the top of their head just amazes me... I'm in awe.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Sid, being a Vet I'll bet you can spout off the top off your head what meds it takes to cure numerous animals, right.        RUDY

steelhead_killer

So from what I am reading it is really a Newell thing, not a Penn thing.  Perhaps I have been looking in the wrong places.  I will start researching Newell instead.  Thank you!  I think that I will make recipe cards for each and post the results!
><)))">

day0ne

It's also an Accurate thing, a Tiburon thing, etc. It's not just one manufacturer. Newell may have made some of the first (maybe) or the parts for them, but others produced them also. Many were made with Penn parts, such as a 99 Jigmaster. Making a YTS with 66 parts is possible. The Newell, Accurate, Tiburon version is just an improvement
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

steelhead_killer

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 15, 2016, 07:34:05 AM
Homework done by Ron. ;)

Not all of it!  But a good start!  Thanks
><)))">

Ron Jones

The YTS was in fact made by Newell originally. You can't make a YTS as Carl made it with a 66 because a true YTS has 4.0:1 SS gears. Yes, you can use newer frames to build these but they are still making Newells creation.

Steelhead_killer,
If you go looking for Newell stuff you will find Newell reels, wich are different than the special kits made with Penn parts. You're in the correct place, just keep reading.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

Don't forget about ProGear's YellowTail Special and Wahoo Special.

The YTS name was being used by others so when Penn came out with their narrow 4/0 they called theirs the Baja Special. With their latest narrow 4/0 being the USA Senator 113HN

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on January 15, 2016, 03:43:04 PM
Sid, being a Vet I'll bet you can spout off the top off your head what meds it takes to cure numerous animals, right.        RUDY
Sure, Rudy. After almost 30 years I can do that in my sleep. Point well taken. I've said elsewhere, patience, especially with myself, is something I have to work at.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dominick

The Baja Special is a stock reel from Penn.  I sold mine to Wayne after I got the Tank.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Quote from: Dominick on January 16, 2016, 05:58:12 AM
The Baja Special is a stock reel from Penn.  I sold mine to Wayne after I got the Tank.  Dominick
And that was a good call in my not so humble opinion
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on January 16, 2016, 05:58:12 AM

Dominick!

Using the word SOLD is being generous on your behalf.  You accepted enough cash not to look like you were giving it away & right now that Baja Special is sitting at my feet as I wait to board my flight to Cabo!

All that & I come over to your home several times a week to enjoy YOUR red wine! 

You my friend ARE a true & generous man!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!