Reel Definitions?

Started by steelhead_killer, January 15, 2016, 06:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Dominick on January 16, 2016, 05:58:12 AM
The Baja Special is a stock reel from Penn.  I sold mine to Wayne after I got the Tank.  Dominick

The Baja Special (was) a stock reel from Penn and there was 2 generations of that reel. Penn discontinued that line and came out with the third generation which is the US Senator 113N.

I'm not trying to dis the Tank but I have yet to see a picture of a fish worthy in size being landed by a reel called the Tank. Time will tell and I hope it does land many fish worthy enough to show it really is a tank.   

Ron Jones

Dom has landed some nice marlin on the Tank. What exactly are you looking for?
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

SoCalAngler

Like I said I'm not trying to dis the Tank, and let me also say I'm not trying to dis Dom the owner or the builder of the reel if it was not Dom.

Baja Strip Marlin are not really what I was thinking as a worthy enough fish, a Blue Marlin, Thresher mouth hooked, Baja's grouper over 60 lbs, big Pargo on the structor/rocks, tuna 80 lbs or larger and alike would offer a more true test for a reel called the Tank, IMO.

I'm not trying to brag or act all puffed up but I catch Baja Stripe Marlin and Sailfish on 40 lb test just about every year when I'm in Baja. Granted I fish north of Cabo where Dom caught the stripers but those Marlin are around the same size in both areas. I don't fish a "tank reel" and for me 40 lb test that I fish isn't worthy of Tank status.

I mainly fish from a 21' center console or on pangas so no fighting chair, rails to rest the rod against or harnesses being worn. It is true stand up fishing like I'm sure Dom and others know about.

All I was trying to say is I look forward to pics or reports of the Tank living up to it's name with many fish worthy enough to give it the tank a full workout.

steelhead_killer

Anyways back to the original topic...
><)))">

swill88

Quote from: steelhead_killer on January 17, 2016, 01:44:17 AM
Anyways back to the original topic...

Funny pic!

I've worked with Mexican carpenters/cabinetmakers in California who use that setup as a routing station.

There work is great!

steelhead_killer

What ever gets the job done!  I am a fan of repurposing... :)
><)))">

wallacewt

hi socalangler
im on a different wave length to you.
to me its not about the size of the fish
its about the upgraded components that went into the reel
its made the "tank" smoother ,stronger,better looking,
compared to the original one
you could call it bill or george or wallace
anything but tank
for a star drag reel its not bad
friend of mine caught a 60kg black marlin on a tld5
loaded with  4kg line,thats a big fish,but tld5 is not a tank
depends on your own concept
cheers

Shark Hunter

Words of Wisdom from my Man Wallace. ;)
I haven't caught anything worthy with my Tanks, only because I have not fished them.
I just know I like building them. ;D
Narrow, Standard and Wide.

This 6' Bull was caught with a bone stock 113H from the Beach.
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on January 16, 2016, 02:32:44 PM
Quote from: Dominick on January 16, 2016, 05:58:12 AM
The Baja Special is a stock reel from Penn.  I sold mine to Wayne after I got the Tank.  Dominick

Dominick!

Using the word SOLD is being generous on your behalf.  You accepted enough cash not to look like you were giving it away & right now that Baja Special is sitting at my feet as I wait to board my flight to Cabo!

All that & I come over to your home several times a week to enjoy YOUR red wine! 

You my friend ARE a true & generous man!

Wayne
:-* :-* :-* Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

SK...if you look in the General Procedure board...you will find the Penn Conventional Reel Comparison thread....under the OP's first post there is an Excel spreadsheet that compares most of the conventionals made by Penn....when  you get the "Specials" sorted out please send me the mono poundage and capacity for each and I will update the spreadsheet.....Bill.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

Right on Wallace! It's not about the size of the fish I catch with a souped up reel. It's about how I feel catching fish with my souped up reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

ez2cdave

Quote from: sdlehr on January 15, 2016, 08:02:00 AMHow anyone can just spout this stuff off from the top of their head just amazes me... I'm in awe.

Sid

It's a "sickness" . . . I mean an "obsession" . . . Err, a "hobby" ( Yeah, that's the ticket ) . . . LOL ! ! !