Canyon Reels

Started by Reel 224, January 16, 2016, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel 224

Has anyone serviced the Canyon reel? I have a HS-15 and it looks very similar to the Avet reel.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Reel 224

What ??? Has anybody heard of a Canyon reel? Am I going to be the first one to give a service demo ??? :-\

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

i worked on one quite a while ago, did a whole photo shoot and just could not get the thing to work right.  i'm guessing he just sent one that was buggy, but it was really frustrating because i really wanted to give the guy a good review. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

I've been in a couple. Nothing sticks out in my memory. Basic lever drag with heavy duty parts.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

I have no personal experience with them, but the way Canyon Reels dealt with Alan Hawk's review is enough to keep me from doing business with with.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/cny65.html

Reel 224

Quote from: Three se7ens on January 19, 2016, 12:35:53 AM
I have no personal experience with them, but the way Canyon Reels dealt with Alan Hawk's review is enough to keep me from doing business with with.

http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/cny65.html

The reel I'm talking about is a HS-15 Lever drag reel. I have had no bad experience with this reel thus far, I was just wondering weather someone serviced one and what they thought of it's construction. I haven't taken my reel apart yet to service it. When I finish my work area station I will break it down and see for myself what it is made of. Ill take pictures.

Joe

SoCalAngler

Canyon Reels are a Chinese knock off of other reels. Why do the R&D when you can just get some other manufactures reel, rip it off, claim better ratings then fall way short of your claims?

These reels have been talked and posted about for many years, I'm 100% sure it looks like a Avet because that's who they ripped off.

The service should be the same as a Avet SX, MXJ or MXL but don't expect the same result's.

Shark Hunter

I don't know the history of these Canyon reels, but I have heard enough to steer clear of them.
They look really nice on the outside, but I have not heard anything good from the conventional line up.
Not trying to dis your reel Joe, but I call a spade a spade.
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 19, 2016, 05:23:52 AM
Canyon Reels are a Chinese knock off of other reels. Why do the R&D when you can just get some other manufactures reel, rip it off, claim better ratings then fall way short of your claims?

These reels have been talked and posted about for many years, I'm 100% sure it looks like a Avet because that's who they ripped off.

The service should be the same as a Avet SX, MXJ or MXL but don't expect the same result's.

First of all, I was asking a question not promoting the Canyon reel, secondly I had no knowledge of where the Canyon reels are produced this the first reel I have bought from Canyon. I am sorry if I offended anyone with this question, it was perfectly innocent on my part....don't shoot the messenger!!

I thought I could ask a question and get a simple answer that's all. As a veteran I want to buy American when ever possible and I have show that by participating on this site and purchasing items from members on site.

Joe       

alantani

no, joe, it's a fair question. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Maybe someone else has experience with these.
I am not offended Joe, and I didn't mean to offend you.
Its all good Buddy.
Life is Good!

Reel 224

Thank you guys, like I said I will break down the reel when I get the chance. To many coals in the fire right now.

Joe

Big Tim

Joe, just because it's a knock off doesn't mean it wont do the job. I have an Omoto Poseidon S12II that I got a couple of years ago. Heavy, not much  line capacity, tons of drag and built pretty well. I paid $100.00 for it and when it breaks, if I can't find the parts to fix it it will become a paper weight. Please post the break down of your Canyon reel.

BT

Reel 224

I will Tim. It looks like ill have plenty of time with this snow coming >:(. I bought this reel for Ruth and made a rod to match it for Fluke fishing.

Joe 

Bryan Young

Quote from: Reel 224 on January 22, 2016, 04:15:53 AM
I will Tim. It looks like ill have plenty of time with this snow coming >:(. I bought this reel for Ruth and made a rod to match it for Fluke fishing.

Joe 
Alan gave me the Canyon reel to play with to learn and to see if I could make it better. I've broken down and reassembled the reel about a dozen times for learning sake and to try one thing or another to make the reel better. I have yet found a combo of stuff to make it worth posting yet but a lot has changed over the years since I started with this reel. I'll get to it shortly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D