Canyon Reels

Started by Reel 224, January 16, 2016, 04:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill19803

Joe

If  your  canyon has  an  ailment  suggest you send it back  to   don  at canyon  Hes  usually pretty prompt   with repairs  and usually free.  Or  if youve  got time   they are  in Brick  NJ

Reel 224

Quote from: bill19803 on January 22, 2016, 06:54:17 AM
Joe

If  your  canyon has  an  ailment  suggest you send it back  to   don  at canyon  Hes  usually pretty prompt   with repairs  and usually free.  Or  if youve  got time   they are  in Brick  NJ

I bought the reel from NJ salt water tackle and Brick,NJ is 20 minutes from my home . I want to service the reel myself, but I know I can always go there.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Wolli

Hi Joe,

seems you have one of his first reels - like mine which is thre years old.

The grinding noise is coming from the pinion gear which shifts under load. The reason is that the pinion stacks in the bearing in a plastic bushing which is too soft. I made a bushing from brass and pressed it on the end of the pinion which eleminated the play under load. An the ID of the pinion is too large and the spool shaft has too much play. After every hard fight had to replace the damaged bearing.....

I informed Don accordingly how to solve the problem but have no knowledge if done in newer reels.
The reels will be manufactured in China by company Lead (www.leadfishingreels.com/sdp/718380/4/pl-3737584/0/Product_Catalog.html) and in USA he replaces the bearings, drag plate with a titanium coated plate and adjusts the play of gears and drag with shims. But im sure if he dont measures the ID of the pinion and AD of the spool shaft.
With the little improved reel i had no problems to catch in Indonesia AJ, Bonito and Ruby Snapper in deps up to 200m. This year i have changed to a Torsa16.

Replace the teflon washer (0.75mm) under the lever with 0,3 or 0.5mm metal shim and add one additional belleville. Final adjustment with shims on spool shaft. My reel pimped to 18kg drag without any binding!

Recommend to contact Don to fix the reel with new pinion and bushing made from brass or ss steel. Otherwise you will not have much fun with the reel.

Good Luck
Wolfgang
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Robert Janssen

Well done, Wolli. Finally some clarity about these reels and their origin.

(regarding the pinion ID, it could very well be that since the design is such that the pinion is supported by two bearings, the clearance between pinion and shaft is irrelevant.)

Reel 224

Yes indeed Wolli that bit of information is very helpful, I will check that out and contact Don to make the change or get the parts.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Wolli

@ Robert, im not a technician but i noticed the play not seen in other reels before....

@ Joe, i dissamble my reel tomorrow and take some pics which might be helpful.

the same reel will be sold under different names especially in Asia like Ajiking, Kamikaze, BlackStone Hornet, Tigon. Order a minimum of 50 reels and Lead prints a name of your choice on the reels.... But what i honour is that Don improves the reels with new drag plate, bearings, grease the cf drag with CalĀ“s etc.
But what about Penn, from where most of their reels are coming....
Watch the difference between the original Chinese scrap drag plate. Already corroded after two weeks fishing in comparison to the replaced titanium coated.... (s.pic)

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Reel 224

Wolli; I have my hands full with this snow storm, and the bench I'm building with my friend. The bench is were Ill do my reel work and it looks like I will have plenty of time when I finish plowing snow and building my work area. Damn snow is still falling. >:(  It will be appreciated if would post pictures.

Joe