Bellevilles

Started by sdlehr, January 17, 2016, 06:53:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Not sure if this is the right place for this - but it's surely a beginner question, so here goes... When using two bellevilles in a () configuration, it seems (in my hands) that a 90-degree rotation of either washer will result in a (( configuration - or do I have wave washers and not bellevilles? I bought a Long Beach 65 that came with a bellevile on top of the drag stack and another on top or the spacer sleeve. I figured I'd get a smoother drag (assumption?) if I put them together in a () configuration, but when I rotate one of them they turn into ((. So I think I'm missing something here.

Thanks.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tightlines667

You likely have wavy spring washers  on that reel, not bellevilles.  A Belleville is a cupped washers that is asymmetrical.  You can use a single cupped washer on just above the drag stack, and a wavy spring above the spacer on most smaller Penns  (provided there is enough space on the inside of the sideplate.  The cupped washers are available in different sizes, thicker or thinner, and made of different materials including Delron.  When upgrading to an ultrathin drag stack with more washers, I typically prefer a delron undergear washer, one above the drag stack, then a thin to medium cupped washer, a spacer, and then a thin wavy washer before the star.  I will sand down the spacer to give the spacing I like, and ensure the star has tension on it.  Some reels just don'the have enough space under the headplate, and need thinner undergear delron, no above gear delron, thick wavy washer, then spacer, then thin wavy washer, then star.  There are many ways to skin the cat here.

Check out many of Sal's posts, and you will get the idea here.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

cbar45

As Tightlines mentioned the washers you have are wavy spring washers and act as a tension spring...My Long Beach schematic shows only one tension spring washer--located at the top of the drag stack underneath the spacer...If, on the other hand, you find a washer that sits perfectly flush on one side and convex on the other, it is very likely you are looking at a bellville..

Ps,
I once experimented with stacking multiple wave washers (Penn 4/0 size), and it only made the star harder to tighten...Didn't have much effect on drag pressure as changing bellvilles do, so I ended up going back to stock configuration (one washer on top of the spacer)..

Chad

sdlehr

Thanks, guys. I can always count on my Hawaiian buddies to answer my late-night questions before I wake in the morning!!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector