SaltAway....and others

Started by marcortez, January 22, 2016, 02:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcortez

My normal routine is, after flushing the outboard motor with Salt Away, I train the now diluted spray on my rods and reels and let air dry.

Good to go or should I be doing something else?....
Such as.....immersing the entire reel in a bucket of fresh water or a spray down of Reel Magic?..or all 3?

Parts are scarce in my neck of the woods, so naturally I need to get as many uses as possible out of my gear.
I don't have the confidence to break open my reels just yet....heck I can't even find a #6 torx to get inside the Accurate!!
Maybe that is my saving grace!!
Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy.

Dominick

Marco that should do it.  No need to go crazy.  Besides Salt-Away claims that if you let it dry inside the engine without rinsing it away it leaves a protective coating on the engine.  I imagine it will do the same for the reels.  I don't use Salt-Away but fresh water and when they dry I wipe them with a reel X impregnated cloth I carry in a zip lock bag.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Salt Away on very low pressure with the hose, let dry+shake to get out of cracks and orafices, dry with microfiber, and Dominck's recommendation on the oil cloth is a good one.
Put them away (ventilated area to dry inside reel) until you're next trip, and never dunk them in a bucket unless you're gonna open it up right after and even then I wouldn't dunk them.
For the Torx head... try a piece of rubber band and a (just barely) smaller allen key and maybe that will work. Not sure but worth a shot.
I have been using Salt away on my boats, cars, and reels since '08 and it's worth every dime. I just bought a 5 gallon jug off ebay this fall and have 4 gallons of salt-eating goodness left for next season, which is what I go through typically in a season. (I have Zip-o affiliation with Salt away or anyone else's products)
stay fishy,
Dom

Bryan Young

Salt-away is good stuff. I use them on boats but have not used them on reels yet. But I normally spray down the boat with salt away then rinse.  No issues what so ever.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

willybendit

Hi  Bryan  ive just bought a new ( to me ) boat  fitted with a suzuki 140 Hp engine  the  guy i bought it off used to flush the engine out  using salt-away  its hard to find over in England   he gave me what was left in the bottle along with a  engine flush kit    after been at sea at the top of the slip there is a fresh water tap  for you to wash your boat and flush your engine  do i  use the salt-away  and flush though until  clear water  or   stop flushing just before the mixture runs clear   regards & tight lines  Alain

SoCalAngler

I always use Salt-away on our outboard. I assume in the kit you got you have what we call the Micky Mouse Ears which fits over the outboard's water intake and the bottle unit that holds the condensed Salt-away that mixes with the freshwater for the flush. If so I idle the motor until the water runs without bubbles leaving the engine from the Salt-away. I have never timed it but its about 5 minutes. I'm sure on different engines and the amount of water flushing through varies so when I see no more bubbles I know all of the Salt-away has flushed through the motor.

I don't use it on reels, in the past I did use it on rods but I have found like the others a good freshwater rinse, wipe down and let fully dry is all that's needed. If the reels look like they need a little more protection I do as Dom and wipe them with some CorrosionX at least once or twice a season.

day0ne

Quote from: broadway on January 22, 2016, 04:23:10 AM
    never dunk them in a bucket unless you're gonna open it up right after and even then I wouldn't dunk them.

For years, when I lived in an apartment, all my rods and reels went into the swimming pool. I let them sit there until I finished unloading the boat, then took them inside. Never a problem, no corrosion, the insides looked great when ever I got around to opening them up. Still have all the rods and reels (30 yrs later) and they are still in fine shape.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

willybendit

Hi All    yes its the Salt -away pukka flushing kit he gave me   we call Them  (flush muffs)   bit like ear defenders   fill the wee bottle with salt-away  fit the muffs and start up while on tick over  just let the mixture  run through Engine as only done 190 hours from new (2011)  the water  that comes out of the (pee) pipe i keep to wash the roller guides on my rods  once air dried  i give them a wipe with  corrosion- X  oil