Recommend castable reel for shark

Started by NYIsles55, January 23, 2016, 01:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYIsles55

Hey guys. I would like to get surf fishing for shark this year. I'm looking for reel, preferably conventional, that would be able to cast a good distance and be able to land sharks around the 5-6 foot range, but possibly larger. My home waters are Long Island and will primarily be fishing the south Shore of LI, but would like it to be able to handle anything likely to bite a casted out bait from Cape Cod to south Florida. The two most places I would fish with it is the south shore of Long Island and Florida. It will be paired with a 12 foot rod up here in LI, and if there is a possibility of encountering some bigger sharks, the it will be paired with a 9' rod.

Thanks in advanced!

Josh

steelhead_killer

I landed a 5 foot black tip from the surf near cape canaveral with a 11' rod and a juiced up Abu 6500.  That would be the minimum size for that catch.  Took me quite a while to bring in.  I had 50b braid and metal twisted wire leaders with a full size mullet.  Casts easy and the rod did most of the work, in my opinion.  I had plenty of room to chase and keep pressure on him.  I wish I would have had one of these 501 Jigmasters to do the job instead.  My 2 cents
><)))">

NYIsles55

I forgot to mention, I would like something with lugs incase I hook into something pretty big, I have at least a chance.

NYIsles55

Anybody got opinions on the Okuma Makaira 15 II SEA? Avet Hx or HX MC?

RowdyW

If you are going to target sharks better put on about 5-6 feet of wire or cable leader followed by about 200 yards of 80# mono & then whatever line you want for back up.  A shark is going to drag that leader on the bottom so you had better have some tough line for about 200 yds. It's going to be pretty tough to cast a shark rig. Better off getting a reel suited for shark fishing & able to hold a decent amount of line for backup. Of course it can be brought in on 10# test but playing a shark that long is going to kill it. Better off getting a bigger & stronger reel to beach it quicker for a healthy release.To get the bait out farther take a walk on a long pier or boat it out. JMO.       RUDY

Three se7ens

A local guide here recommends a reel that can hold at least 300 yds of line and make 15 lbs of drag for black tips(commonly 5-6 feet).  Thats for fishing from a boat, but I think its a pretty sound starting point.  

Hook um

I don't target sharks when I surf Fish, but fishing on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, they are always around and I have landed way too many as by-catch. Also I have been spooled numerous times by something that pulled like train and headed due East and couldn't be stopped or turned. You do realize that you will be fighting a fish that is at the top of the food chain and can test your determination for more than an hour. Most of the surf fishermen I know have weak knees and sore arms after 15/20 minutes of major pullage. Try holding a 15/20 lb dumbbell at the end of a stiff 12' rod at a 45 degree angle for just 5 minutes.  

But to answer your question about a reel just for sharks, you will need a reel can handle 30>50 lbs test and 380+ yards of main line and a shock leader over 25' of > 60 lbs test. Also needed is a well greased upgraded drag (5 or 7 stack) serviced regularly that will handle 15>20 lbs of smooth resistance.  Plus an upgraded frame (Tiburon, Accurate, Cortez Conversion, etc), upgraded SS pinion & Main gear, a second dog, and power handle.  

This set-up will maybe get you 50>70 yards of casting distance depending on your skills and equipment level. I would suggest using a kayak for getting your bait out to where the big boys are. A level wind reel in the 3/0 or 4/0 range paired with a well fit fighting belt that will come in handy when it takes you for a run on the beach of over 200+ yards.

Most surf reels will give you from 12>18 lbs of drag if serviced properly. The reels I use from the surf are Penn 525Mags, Squall 15, and just purchases a Truth (Release) SM reel that is built like a tank out of the box. They are filled with 17 lb mono or 30 lb braid plus 50lb shocker. These reels are built for distance casting and can reach over the first bar to reach the larger fish. My fishing buddies also use Daiwa Black Gold 20's, Sealine Slosh 20 & 30's. These reels are just about maxed out on an 80 lb+ fish and I have crushed a few pinion bearings hauling some big fish/sharks/rays over the outer bar.

Another note: You probably need to spend 1.5 hours, 3-5 days a week in your favorite gym for 8 weeks. Then you will be in shape to handle the species that you search.

Just so you can release your catch to fight another day,

Welcome aboard and let us know what you decide on.

NYIsles55

Quote from: Hook um on January 23, 2016, 10:26:09 PM
I don't target sharks when I surf Fish, but fishing on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, they are always around and I have landed way too many as by-catch. Also I have been spooled numerous times by something that pulled like train and headed due East and couldn't be stopped or turned. You do realize that you will be fighting a fish that is at the top of the food chain and can test your determination for more than an hour. Most of the surf fishermen I know have weak knees and sore arms after 15/20 minutes of major pullage. Try holding a 15/20 lb dumbbell at the end of a stiff 12' rod at a 45 degree angle for just 5 minutes.   

But to answer your question about a reel just for sharks, you will need a reel can handle 30>50 lbs test and 380+ yards of main line and a shock leader over 25' of > 60 lbs test. Also needed is a well greased upgraded drag (5 or 7 stack) serviced regularly that will handle 15>20 lbs of smooth resistance.  Plus an upgraded frame (Tiburon, Accurate, Cortez Conversion, etc), upgraded SS pinion & Main gear, a second dog, and power handle. 

This set-up will maybe get you 50>70 yards of casting distance depending on your skills and equipment level. I would suggest using a kayak for getting you bait out to where the big boys are. A level wind reel in the 3/0 or 4/0 range paired with a well fit fighting belt that will come in handy when it takes you for a run on the beach of over 200+ yards.

Most surf reels will give you from 12>18 lbs of drag if serviced properly. The reels I use from the surf are Penn 525Mags, Squall 15, and just purchases a Truth (Release) SM reel that is built like a tank out of the box. They are filled with 17 lb mono or 30 lb braid plus 50lb shocker. These reels are built for distance casting and can reach over the first bar to reach the larger fish. My fishing buddies also use Daiwa Black Gold 20's, Sealine Slosh 20 & 30's. These reels are just about maxed out on an 80 lb+ fish and I have crushed a few pinion bearings hauling some big fish/sharks/rays over the outer bar.

Another note: You probably need to spend 1.5 hours, 3-5 days a week in your favorite gym for 8 weeks. Then you will be in shape to handle the species that you search.

Just so you can release your catch to fight another day,

Welcome aboard and let us know what you decide on.

Thanks. I don't have access to a kayak to get the baits day, so this is the best option for me currently. The rod I'm most likely getting is a southern African style surf rod with the low reel seat. This will help with casting out farther. I've seen pictures of large sharks caught on this setup, including a shark close to 400#. It will be made by someone who I believe is a member here, but I met him from another forum.

I also thought up of a rig that will allow me to use lighter mono topshot to gain more distance, and still have a 10+ ft rub leader then end it off with a couple foot bite leader. Let me know what you think. I asked for opinions on this in a different forum on this site.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16607.0

I'm also looking at fighting belts and even a harness to make it a little easier on me incase I do hook a monster. What do you think of a Braid Power Play belt with an AFTCO maxforce harness?

Once again, thanks for the response!

Hook um

To answer your questions..

The more terminal tackle you add will add more weight = more resistance = less distance.
Example: Cast a plain 4 or 5 oz sinker only and it will almost go out of sight.
   Then add a rig + large bait and you loose more than 25 % of your total distance.

Also you will have to find a fighting belt that fits your style.

Note: Remember always have sharp hooks, check often, I sharpen some new hooks before I use them. Plus use the freshest bait you can find, catch your own if possible.

NYIsles55

Quote from: Hook um on January 24, 2016, 02:41:06 AM
To answer your questions..

The more terminal tackle you add will add more weight = more resistance = less distance.
Example: Cast a plain 4 or 5 oz sinker only and it will almost go out of sight.
   Then add a rig + large bait and you loose more than 25 % of your total distance.

Also you will have to find a fighting belt that fits your style.

Note: Remember always have sharp hooks, check often, I sharpen some new hooks before I use them. Plus use the freshest bait you can find, catch your own if possible.

True. I think that rig came out of boredom of not being able to fish currently. I also think it would be cool to have my own design of some complicated rig that works well. Still working on it, but odds are it won't work out for me.

Shark Hunter

Here is my casting rig.
A 9500 with an Ugly stick.

I run a 4' piece of 480 lb cable, then about a 6' section of 200 lb mono to 100lb braid.
That is the only way I can cast it.
The braid so I'll have enough line.
I fish mainly with Big Senators and Use a Kayak to get the bait out.

The Max Force is a good belt. That is what I use with a Tsunami Plate. Total investment, about $140.

Life is Good!

CapeFish

Quote from: NYIsles55 on January 23, 2016, 01:08:27 AM
Hey guys. I would like to get surf fishing for shark this year. I'm looking for reel, preferably conventional, that would be able to cast a good distance and be able to land sharks around the 5-6 foot range, but possibly larger. My home waters are Long Island and will primarily be fishing the south Shore of LI, but would like it to be able to handle anything likely to bite a casted out bait from Cape Cod to south Florida. The two most places I would fish with it is the south shore of Long Island and Florida. It will be paired with a 12 foot rod up here in LI, and if there is a possibility of encountering some bigger sharks, the it will be paired with a 9' rod.

Thanks in advanced!

Josh

Hi, we land huge sharks casting with conventional reels in South Africa, it's a bit of a specialty here. The new FinNor Lethal 30 should be high on your list. You need to back up the reel with 600m or more of 50lb braid and stick 50-60lb mono on top, you should get around 200m or so and then you need to finish it with a very thick leader of at least 1mm nylon of around 10m. Your trace should be about 1m of 200lb steel cable, coated or uncoated, doesn't matter too much. A 9ft rod is too short though to do any serious casting with. the reel needs to be at the bottom of the rod otherwise you will never be able to hold on to the spool and power the cast properly and you can't use a rod bucket with a long handle rod. The rod should be able to handle 8oz sinker with big bait.

Those new metal senators also look like decent reels for the job or you can also look at the torium 50 or trinidad 40 or 50 if you can find any. If you want to use a spinning reel then look for a big, powerful offshore spinning reel like a saragossa, quantum or lethal, fill it with braid

NYIsles55

Hi, we land huge sharks casting with conventional reels in South Africa, it's a bit of a specialty here. The new FinNor Lethal 30 should be high on your list. You need to back up the reel with 600m or more of 50lb braid and stick 50-60lb mono on top, you should get around 200m or so and then you need to finish it with a very thick leader of at least 1mm nylon of around 10m. Your trace should be about 1m of 200lb steel cable, coated or uncoated, doesn't matter too much. A 9ft rod is too short though to do any serious casting with. the reel needs to be at the bottom of the rod otherwise you will never be able to hold on to the spool and power the cast properly and you can't use a rod bucket with a long handle rod. The rod should be able to handle 8oz sinker with big bait.

Those new metal senators also look like decent reels for the job or you can also look at the torium 50 or trinidad 40 or 50 if you can find any. If you want to use a spinning reel then look for a big, powerful offshore spinning reel like a saragossa, quantum or lethal, fill it with braid
[/quote]

The 12 foot rod I'm getting is actually in the style of what you guys use down there and built by there, with the reel seat around 8 inches away from the button, so it's nice to have you chime in. Do you have any opinions/experience with the Fin Nor Marquesa 20 or 30, or the Okuma Andros 12II or 16II? Just want to make sure I make the right choice.

CapeFish

Quote from: NYIsles55 on January 25, 2016, 06:45:20 AM

The 12 foot rod I'm getting is actually in the style of what you guys use down there and built by there, with the reel seat around 8 inches away from the button, so it's nice to have you chime in. Do you have any opinions/experience with the Fin Nor Marquesa 20 or 30, or the Okuma Andros 12II or 16II? Just want to make sure I make the right choice.
[/quote]

OK then you are on the right track. Those are lever drags, they should work well, but they are just very fast generally so you will need to know your stuff when it comes to casting. Jeri, from Namibia on here will be able to tell you more about them, I haven't used a lever drag in a while from shore, but the Marquesa and Shimano Talica are used here, they are certainly fantastic reels, it's just handling the speed. I am not familiar with the Okuma Andros.

NYIsles55

Quote from: CapeFish on January 25, 2016, 08:46:09 AM
Quote from: NYIsles55 on January 25, 2016, 06:45:20 AM

OK then you are on the right track. Those are lever drags, they should work well, but they are just very fast generally so you will need to know your stuff when it comes to casting. Jeri, from Namibia on here will be able to tell you more about them, I haven't used a lever drag in a while from shore, but the Marquesa and Shimano Talica are used here, they are certainly fantastic reels, it's just handling the speed. I am not familiar with the Okuma Andros.
[/quote]

I didn't know Jeri was on here. I met him on another forum. He's who I'm getting the rod from. He gave me great advice on reels on both this other forum and through my email inquiries. I just want to explore all my options before I get the reel.

The andros looks like a forgivable caster, it's magged.