Okuma Coronado CD 65a Baitfeeder

Started by zenfisher, February 04, 2011, 02:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenfisher

Alan,

You ever work on one of these reels?  I just bought one off ebay.  The CD 65a is the newer current model with the black round knob power handle. Just looking at the body, there are no screws visible on either side.  How do you open up the body to get to the gears?  The reel also has a "Dual Force Drag system", where there are drag washers in a drag stack on the top side of the spool (like a regular spinner), plus, there is a drag washer on the bottom side of the spool.  Going to be interesting when I try to open her up.  Thanks.

Charlie

Bryan Young

Did the reel come with schematics?  If it's not on a sheet, it on one of the flaps on the box.  I hate it there because it's so small and hard to read.  I cannot find one so it'll be hard for me to help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Wow, clicked on the link and this is what popped up:

Okuma Lifetime Warranty....

•Rapala Freetime Australia Pty Ltd. warrants Okuma reels for life to the Original purchaser from material and manufacturing defects when these reels have been purchased in Australia from our authorised Dealers.

•We cannot guarantee product that has been sourced directly by the consumer from overseas as these reels may not be manufactured to our strict Australian standards and conditions.

•To claim warranty the consumer will have to send to us proof of purchase detailing the Retail store where he/she purchased the reel.

Wow, LIFETIME WARRANTY

Here in the US, we only get 1 year.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

yeah, i was thinking the same thing. 

so i would pull the felt drags and install greased carbon fiber.  if you are adventurous enough, you can try to pull the bearings and pack them with grease, but i can tell you right now that bait runners are the worst reels in the world to work on. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I was just studying the schematics, and it looks like there is a definitely a build sequence.  I am still contemplating how much I am going to do to take my spinner apart.  Just looked, I have 16 bearings.  Found 2 in the spool.  Packed them with grease.  Hmm, I'm starting to think twice about serving them....

zenfisher

Thanks guys.  I usually like to open up a new reel to make sure it came with enough grease and oil from the factory.  But, looks like this one I'll just fish as is and will worry about the servicing later.  I also have the Okuma Avenger Baitfeeders and Shimano Baitrunners which I have opened and greased the easy to reach parts and bearings.  Too many internal parts in these reels to really take them apart.  Thanks again.

reelman-nz

hi all, if you want to open the cd65 to get at the gearing, you will have to remove the spool, rotor first, then on the main body just below the reel seat there is a little screw which is holding the rear plastic body cover , once you have removed this all the screws will be visible.if people are interested i will open one up and take photos over the next few days.. i love doing  spinning reels.

Bryan Young

I come to conclude that I hate servicing my VS series spinners with 16 bearings.  What a pain.  Took me 3 hours to do the complete service.  Bearings everwhere, and the elipitical gear works great, but getting it back together is very difficult.  I think the next 5 should go easier since I got the sequence down now.

So, for spinners, with the cost of a service, I think I'd prefer Penns, but man, those VS series Okumas are smooth.

zenfisher

Quote from: reelman-nz on February 14, 2011, 07:14:37 AM
hi all, if you want to open the cd65 to get at the gearing, you will have to remove the spool, rotor first, then on the main body just below the reel seat there is a little screw which is holding the rear plastic body cover , once you have removed this all the screws will be visible.if people are interested i will open one up and take photos over the next few days.. i love doing  spinning reels.

Hello reelman-nz,

I haven't followed up to check on this thread until today.  Thanks for the instructions on how to open up the cd65 reel.  I haven't fished mine yet so not urgent that I open her up.  Don't make a special effort, but post a few pics the next time you need to work on your reel.  Thanks again.

Bryan Young

Drag dimensions is now posted for the 65 sized spool.

Nova

Bryan Young

alantani

nice looking reel.  very clean lines, no frills.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nova

Thanks for the info Bryan.

After hours of research it appears that okuma may use the same part number for spinning felt drag washers for most of there spinners.

I found that they all use part number 610

This seems to be the case with all reel sizes from 20-90.

These reels have the 610 washers.

Avenger
Cedros
Epix
Coronado
Salina
Eclipz
Travertine
Lexan
and probably more models

It also looks like the metal washers in the drag stacks are the same as well, all of them show the same part numbers on the schematics...

The only difference i have seen is the number of felt/metal washers in the stack varies depending on the size of the reel. Size 20's have 1 felt washer and one metal, and the size 90 go up to 5 washers....

I haven't pulled my avenger size 40 and 55 apart to compare and measure yet. Once i do i will try and post some pics up of the similarities.