What is the average price for a Penn 650SS?

Started by sundaytrucka, January 24, 2016, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

What would be a good or average price to pay for one in decent condition, maybe needs a little lubing and tuning?

Are there any tutorials on the 650SS? I have only seen the 6500SS,  but did not search too hard.

Thanks.

-Scott

Some pics of the one I might purchase. Offered a free service on it, just wanted the chance to take apart, examine, and rebuild one.

I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

akfish

You can check out completed auctions on eBay to get an idea as to n average price. However, the price variance will likely be quite wide -- these are old reels and will be in a wide range of conditions. Also, you need to know that while the 650SS looks very much like a 6500SS, many of the parts -- for example, the gears and handles -- are NOT interchangeable and very difficult to find.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Yup! Bill is right. The 6500SS parts are also hard to find, but I wouldn't be to concerned, if fished to specs, it should last your lifetime with no need for parts ;).
As for cost, figure around $80 for a decent one and up  to $170 for a new in the box.
I haven't seen a new reel at that price range, that has impressed me more than these SS yet.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sundaytrucka

Thank you for the responses.

You are both right on the money, the one I have was offered to me at $80, feels like it needs a lube and service, should be back to 100% fishing machine after that.

Any upgrades available? I heard Bryan did a 5-Stack CF set, but only saw a classified for the 750 size and up.

Any AR upgrades available? I know they make one for the 750 and larger, anything similar for the 650SS?

-Scott

Alto Mare

Scott, the 6500 tutorial is pretty much the same. As for upgrades, I recommend one of these for starts:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52N-650N.aspx
Stainless steel dogs and ratchets are not available, I spoke with Adam a couple of days ago about them and he said he would do them for us, but not at the moment.
Lee did make a couple, but not sure if he has anymore.
As for the drag upgrade, there aren't any, maybe Bryan will make us some.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

Come on Scott, a Penn... Really? You can't get a deal on an Okuma? 😀
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

sundaytrucka

Quote from: MarkT on January 24, 2016, 10:54:32 PM
Come on Scott, a Penn... Really? You can't get a deal on an Okuma? 😀

Touché Mark!

I am waiting for the Okuma Metaloid Spinning reel to come to market. Still in the preliminary prototype stages, will be with a SS gear set, I like the aesthetics of this reel as well. I will post pics when I am cleared to do so.

-Scott

Shark Hunter

Scott,
The ss series are iconic. I lucked out on this 650. New in the box for $65.
I consider it one of my best finds.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Daron, everything says 650SS on that reel but the side cover. the 650SS comes with a metal emblem with 4.8:1 ratio, yours is plastic and says 4.1:1.
Doesn't really matter, unless you're collecting it.

Sal

Wally15

Quote from: sundaytrucka on January 24, 2016, 03:52:09 PM
What would be a good or average price to pay for one in decent condition, maybe needs a little lubing and tuning?

Are there any tutorials on the 650SS? I have only seen the 6500SS,  but did not search too hard.

Thanks.

-Scott

Some pics of the one I might purchase. Offered a free service on it, just wanted the chance to take apart, examine, and rebuild one.

Scott, I've got a 650ss that looks quite a bit better than the one you have pictured that I'll let you have for the price of postage. Consider it a baby shower present. And something to play with between diaper changes :).
Mike Pate
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Wally15

Scott, here's the reel.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Shark Hunter

The ratio numbers on the emblems are different. I've noticed that on the 750 as well.
They might say 4.6, 4.7 or 4.8. I can 't make rhyme or reason out of it.
As long as the gears are brass, I think its all good.

This reel is definitely a 650. 4:7 to 1
I think my 6500 is 4:8.

Life is Good!

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Wally15 on January 25, 2016, 03:54:00 AM
Scott, here's the reel.
Mike

That is very generous of you to offer me a reel, I have always wanted an SS spinner.

I graciously accept your offer.

Thank you Mike!!!

PM sent.

-Scott

Alto Mare

Quote from: sundaytrucka on January 25, 2016, 03:40:40 PM
Quote from: Wally15 on January 25, 2016, 03:54:00 AM
Scott, here's the reel.
Mike

That is very generous of you to offer me a reel, I have always wanted an SS spinner.

I graciously accept your offer.

Thank you Mike!!!

PM sent.

-Scott

Sweet!!!...nice going Mike.

swill88

this is the best club i've ever been a member of....