What is the average price for a Penn 650SS?

Started by sundaytrucka, January 24, 2016, 03:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

Quote from: swill88 on January 25, 2016, 04:20:01 PM
this is the best club i've ever been a member of....

Scott was my roommate on last years SoA trip. He took the top bunk....and didn't snore. That's worth a reel right there.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

coastal_dan

Nice score from a great guy!  These SS reels are growing on me as well  8)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Decker

I have a 650SS that I purchased new in the 80's.   Recently I put some Spectra braid on it, and had problems.   Once in a while the line would wrap around the drag knob for a couple of turns, somehow missing the spool.  This despite my vigilance to keep tension on the line.  In four hours fishing it must have happened half a dozen times.   I've been hearing that braid generally doesn't do well on the older Penn spinners.  Lots of fisherman recommend Fireline fused for the older reels.   

Does anyone have any mechanical tweeks for my reel to help with braid?  Maybe the spool is a bit too low if the line winds onto the drag knob for multiple turns?

Also, I have a bail-less kit for it that I've not yet installed.   Wondering how that might do with braid or Fireline... 

Thanks!

Bryan Young

I haven't heard of this happened and all my my family's SS are spoiled with mono. I wish I could help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Just a guess, but your spool may be going too low on the downstroke. There is a Teflon washer under there. Make sure it is home.
Life is Good!

Decker

Checked the teflon washer, and it is there.  Something dawned on me, the spool is one I had not used before, and came from a 6500SS (aha!).   Could there be some minute difference between the 650SS and 6500SS spools?

BTW.. Should I have posted this on another forum?

mizmo67

Could be that the bail wire is a little bent too far upwards, causing the line to loop up into the knob at that point?
Try adjusting the bail if testing it shows you this might be the case.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Decker

Quote from: mizmo67 on September 17, 2016, 04:20:33 PM
Could be that the bail wire is a little bent too far upwards, causing the line to loop up into the knob at that point?
Try adjusting the bail if testing it shows you this might be the case.

Good point, Maureen!

Alto Mare

From my personal experience, the average price for a 650ss is around $160 for a new one and $80 to $100 for a used one in great shape. You won't find a beat up one for less than $60, most know how valuable the inner parts are.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 17, 2016, 06:41:34 PM
From my personal experience, the average price for a 650ss is around $160 for a new one and $80 to $100 for a used one in great shape. You won't find a beat up one for less than $60, most know how valuable the inner parts are.

Sal

This must be Sal's way of telling me I should have posted on a different thread  ;Dri  :D ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Decker on September 18, 2016, 03:52:31 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on September 17, 2016, 06:41:34 PM

Sal

This must be Sal's way of telling me I should have posted on a different thread  ;Dri  :D ;)
:)
Not a problem Decker, just a friendly reminder to stay focused on the title of the thread. It's all good.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.