New Here and relatively new to reel repair

Started by birdfin, January 24, 2016, 06:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdfin

Greetings from SE Michigan,

I recently got into collecting old reels.  It started out with me looking for an inexpensive way to find some tackle to teach my self how to use bait casting equipment.  To make a long  story short my first reel was a Record Ambassadeur 6000 that I feel like I stole from its original owner.  After finding out what it actually was, I was hooked.  I am still looking for old reels to put to work rather than use the new Chinese stuff out there today.

I recently found a Zebco 870 Spinator in almost mint condition that I'd like to fix since the anti-reverse is non functional.  Can anyone tell me how to get the rotor off the main body of the reeel?

Thanks for reading.  When I figure out how to post pix, I will post some shots of my reels.

cbar45

Hello and welcome!

I have never worked on a Zebco 870 Spinator, but here is a schematic for one:

It appears that the main shaft must first be removed--probably via one of those clips at the bottom--thereby allowing the rotor to be taken off. Sorry this isn't conclusive, but I hope it helps.

Chad

alantani

welcome! 

chad, thanks for helping him out!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

birdfin

Thanks for the suggestion and the welcome.  When I get a chance I'll look into getting the shaft and rotor head off.

I got to thinking about things and realized that my first vintage reel was picked up for free after a livestock auction back in the mid 70s.  It was a Penn Peerless Monofil No. 9 MF complete and basically new in the box.  The address on the box indicates that it pre-dates zip codes but I can't age it any better than that.  The only problem with it is the corrosion I caused in the early 90s when I used it on a rod I got for it.  I used the outfit to catch a 5 lb. smallie in the Menominee River in the UP.  I got a transfer and the reel got forgotten in it box until a few months ago.

I look forward to learning a lot here.

Birdfin

Bill B

BF....you're starting down the ugly path towards.......dare I say....ReelHead.....it usually starts in small un-noticable ways....and soon you will be on first name basis with the UPS driver and clandestine meetings at the end of the block to intercept the driver  before the family can see you in the depths of adding to the addiction.....luckily we have a 18/0 recovery process here at AT....have fun, and remember....you only need "just one more" to cure this condition...... ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Quote from: TARFU on January 26, 2016, 01:36:40 AM
BF....you're starting down the ugly path towards.......dare I say....ReelHead.....it usually starts in small un-noticable ways....and soon you will be on first name basis with the UPS driver and clandestine meetings at the end of the block to intercept the driver  before the family can see you in the depths of adding to the addiction.....luckily we have a 18/0 recovery process here at AT....have fun, and remember....you only need "just one more" to cure this condition...... ;D   Bill
For example, I'm excited about my dental appointment at the end of the week because that means I get a new toothbrush to use at my bench.... this hobby is slowly taking over my life. In a good way.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Reel 224

Welcome Birdfin. I already have to many reels and I only have been here a year ::)...but then again. Whats to many reels ???   

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Dominick

Tweet tweet tweet Birdfin.  For you uninitiated "tweet" in bird talk means welcome.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

birdfin

All,

Thanks for the welcome and... encouragement???  I think the most recent count is 54 reels.  That includes a reel I have personally owned for 50 years.  i just looked over my Abumatic 160 I got for my 12th birthday.  I was awfully rough on that reel, I don't think I'll be able to resurrect it.  Again thanks for the  My  welcome.  I'll look around to try to find a picture for my sign-in.  It originates with my professional career which has been either in fisheries work or aviculture.  In this pic I'm the one one the right holding the net.  We limited out on walleyes last spring on the Detroit River

Alto Mare

Welcome birdfin. We bring all reels back here and make them smoother than the day they were made. Your 160 will do just as good.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

Welcome!

I'm new too.

Great pic! Is that Detroit behind you?

steve

birdfin

Motown it is.  The all-glass building in the background is GM world headquarters.  However, all of the fish we caught that day were caught on the Canadian side of the river