Going to Cabo San Lucas

Started by Marcq, January 25, 2016, 05:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Or call the Buena Vista and set it up for the day you want to fish!!!

Berthed on the east side of the marina,  just north of the Fishersman Bar, a well know location.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

SoCalAngler

I put my reels in my carry on and if I bring any lures in checked luggage. I mad the mistake one time to have some plastics and leadheads in my carry on and they stayed in Mexico. Flying down was no problem but they were stricter coming back.

El Pescador

Marc,

My buddy, Jerry, booked the trip thru Alex at Buena Vista,

Panga captain's name is Tony.

Hope all this helps.

Post photos of your trip when you return.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Alto Mare

Looks like you had a good trip, Wayne...very nice.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

Quote from: SoCalAngler on January 26, 2016, 09:34:26 PM
I put my reels in my carry on and if I bring any lures in checked luggage. I mad the mistake one time to have some plastics and leadheads in my carry on and they stayed in Mexico. Flying down was no problem but they were stricter coming back.

I put that stuff(lures, hooks ...) in my wife luggage, she likes to travel with lots of them, luggage that is   :)
Quote from: El Pescador on January 27, 2016, 12:36:54 AM
Marc,

My buddy, Jerry, booked the trip thru Alex at Buena Vista,

Panga captain's name is Tony.

Hope all this helps.

Post photos of your trip when you return.

Wayne

Tony, that's better then dude!!
Thanks a bunch

Marc..

coastal_dan

Have a blast Marc, we were down there 7 years ago and did a Panga trip just up from there in San Jose Del Cabo, such a blast.  We saw lots of Tuna but not dice with them, ended up catching 5 Mahi in the 12-20 lb range; it was a blast.  The Panga was the smaller one with a 50 hp Honda and a 5 gallon gas tank, no english either; it truly made it all the more memorable  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Marcq

Quote from: coastal_dan on January 28, 2016, 01:16:12 PM
Have a blast Marc, we were down there 7 years ago and did a Panga trip just up from there in San Jose Del Cabo, such a blast.  We saw lots of Tuna but not dice with them, ended up catching 5 Mahi in the 12-20 lb range; it was a blast.  The Panga was the smaller one with a 50 hp Honda and a 5 gallon gas tank, no english either; it truly made it all the more memorable  ;D

Was wondering, the price advertised, is it usually per person on those panga?

Marc..

whalebreath

Quotethe price advertised, is it usually per person on those panga?
No the price is for the boat.

Just be sure never to deal with anyone who approaches you on the street or the dock they're just hustlers and don't actually own anything-you've been given some great leads here so don't be afraid to ask to see the boat first.

Live bait is generally not included and is it expensive-$3/per isn't unheard of-but if your pangero says you need it spend the money.

coastal_dan

Ours was per person, I think the 4 hour trip was $135 each, and it was just my wife and I on the boat. 

The bait experience was awesome, $20 and three big nets full of bait right into the panga between two sealed bench seats...the aerator was just a couple buckets of fresh water every 15 min or so... :o

Do it!  Such an awesome experience, also take pictures!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Dominick

Since I go to Cabo twice a year I thought I would respond to Marq's query.  I usually fish out of San Jose del Cabo, though I have fished out of Cabo San Lucas many times, but not on a panga.  I have fished pangas out of SJ and it has been my experience that you can always bargain with the Pangueros if you can deal directly with the captains.  It is difficult to get to talk directly with the captains.  I usually pay $180.00 for a days fishing which consists of a 7:00 a.m. to 1 or 1:30 p.m.  Some super pangas with center console might go for $200-225.00.  Mostly it is a 6 hour day and you pay for bait which in most cases is $20.00 for a couple of scoops of Sardinas.  Dan is correct in that the live bait is dumped right in the bottom of the boat and it is aerated every few minutes with a bucket of cool water.  It is customary to tip the captain even on days when the catching is meager.  You will know how hard the captain is working to get you on to fish.  So the tipping is not fish dependent it is how hard the captain is working.  I usually tip $30.00.  Absolutely ask to look at the boat.  Ask for life preservers, radio and Bimini top.  Do not go out with some yo yo who does not have at least those basics.  Also since you will have your own equipment you don't need to see the boats equipment.  However, if you do not have your own equipment ask to see the rods and reels.  It has been my experience that if you talk with the guys manning the fishing booths at the Cabo Marina they will walk you to the boats.  Mostly the locals are honest and hard working.  I say mostly because you could get burned.  I never have.  Good Luck.  Post a fishing report when you return.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Marcq

All great advises, I knew I was asking at the right place  8)

Since it will be inshore and on the beach,  would my 146 with 17 mono be up to the task on the boat, it needs a workout

Thanks, Marc..

PacRat

Go down to the marina in the afternoon and see who's catching and how happy the fishermen are. I've mostly fished with Gaviota Fleet and have had no bad days. Hang out near the scale and cleaning station to see what's coming in. Ask around for Leon, he's been around a long time and will take good care of you. These guys can also hook you up with one or two other Gringos if you want to split a cruiser. It's best to make a deal the afternoon prior. You can also place an order for how many cervesas and box lunch too. This can be much better than hauling your own from the store or hotel. The taco wagon at the marina has always had good grub for breakfast.
-Mike

coastal_dan

Marc we were within 2-6 miles of the beach the whole time with 4/0's and 6/0's out aiming for Tuna/Mahi...So in my mind that distance is 'inshore' fishing, haha!

Dan from Philadelphia...

Marcq

Quote from: coastal_dan on January 29, 2016, 01:17:59 PM
Marc we were within 2-6 miles of the beach the whole time with 4/0's and 6/0's out aiming for Tuna/Mahi...So in my mind that distance is 'inshore' fishing, haha!

Ooops, think I'm going to change outfits  :-\

Marc..

Marcq

Quote from: PacRat on January 29, 2016, 07:32:19 AM
Go down to the marina in the afternoon and see who's catching and how happy the fishermen are. I've mostly fished with Gaviota Fleet and have had no bad days. Hang out near the scale and cleaning station to see what's coming in. Ask around for Leon, he's been around a long time and will take good care of you. These guys can also hook you up with one or two other Gringos if you want to split a cruiser. It's best to make a deal the afternoon prior. You can also place an order for how many cervesas and box lunch too. This can be much better than hauling your own from the store or hotel. The taco wagon at the marina has always had good grub for breakfast.
-Mike

That's the plan Mike!!

Thanks, Marc..