Shimano Stradic Suffix Question

Started by Wally15, January 28, 2016, 07:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I'm looking at picking up a couple of light spinners for flats fishing off fleabay. Tossing Gulps with 1/8 oz jigheads for Reds, trout, etc.  Leaning toward the Stradic 2500 to 4000 sizes. Can someone provide a short tutorial on what all the FI, FJ, FK, ci4 suffixes mean. Or point me to a website than can? The Shimano site was no help at all.
Mike Pate
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

handi2

The FK is the very latest model. I'm sure there are plenty of new FJ models still for sale. The C14 is the only model Shimano recommend's for saltwater b/c of its composite construction.

The 3000 size would be perfect for flats fishing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Yogi_fish808

The FJ and FK stradics are widely used here in hawaii for light saltwater fishing and hold up fine in the salt as long as you do the usual preventative maintenance. The Ci4+ will work great too and is about 1oz lighter than the FK when comparing the same size reels.

I flats fish a few times a week.  You don't see a lot of Stradics used by waders, beach walkers or the pier/bridge crowd here. Too susceptible to sand.  Guides use Sahara's or Penn's for their clients. I read on another forum that the new FK is made in such a way that shimano wants them sent in to be lubed and never opened by the consumer.  The CI4 didn't last for me, one bull red torqued the bail arms even though I was using 6# power pro and a light drag by my standards.  I could accept its my fault but shimano's disinterest in sending me parts I was willing to buy, not asking for a warranty issue, left me an ex shimano fan.  Penn and Quantum serve me well with better customer service.  A 3000 size is perfect, even a 2500 but a 4000 get long in the tooth weight wise on a long wade and is overkill for the size snook and reds you'll most likely encounter on the flats.

whalebreath

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on February 04, 2016, 10:48:51 AM
The FJ and FK stradics are widely used here in hawaii for light saltwater fishing and hold up fine in the salt as long as you do the usual preventative maintenance....
Same/Same here in BC they're used for light jigging smaller models of Salmon and work flawlessly.

johndtuttle

I would swap out the oiled felt drag washers for greased carbontex and you are good to go with a Stradic.

FatTuna

The FG and FH stradics have those go through handles.The handles always have a little play in them. Also one side is missing a bearing, it just has a plastic spacer/bushing. You can upgrade it with an additional bearing. All in all, I never liked either one of those reels.

The FJ is a really nice reel. They can be a little temperamental though. Be careful of that little nut inside. Those are easy to lose. Parts can be tricky. Some have two different sized drive bearings, two different pinon bearings.

The Ci4 only comes in sizes up to 4000. They are lighter, smaller, and come with an EVA foam knob. They are very nice reels. More money but worth it if you want a 4000 size or smaller. There is an F and an FA.

The FK is the newest. Never opened one or worked on one. Don't really know anything about them.

handi2

The FJ are the better models.

I service Stradic's all the time. 99% of the time it is bearings. I don't know why but they don't last long.

Penn's spinning reel bearings are very good and seldom need replacing.

My favorite inshore reels are the Quantum Smokes and Cabo's. They are super strong reels that have lasted me a long time. Parts are very easy to get from their website.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL