Building Out a Small Tackle Workshop -- On a Budget

Started by foakes, January 29, 2016, 10:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Please Read This Added/Revised Update

How about if we change this thread slightly?

(it is not supposed to be about me! That was never the intent, although the compliments were appreciated).

Lets post pics of our individual work areas -- with an emphasis on just 1, 2 or 3 items that we have found works great for us.  

Something we are proud of.

This can be anything from an item invented, purchased, adapted, system implemented, system we want to implement at some point, etc, etc..

The idea is to keep it short and simple -- this will encourage many ideas from the Worldwide Alan Tani family to be brought forward for all to share.

This is fun -- and the ideas and clever inventions for your work areas need to be shared.

It doesn't matter if your bench or work area is a kitchen table, a garage bench, a tailgate, or looks like Mission Control -- it is all needed and appreciated by all.

We all need 1 or 2 fresh, clever ideas -- and we get to help each other this way.

We all want to see your good works.

That is what this site is all about.

Best, Fred

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been a hesitation on my part about posting this.

This is kind of long -- so get a beverage, and sit back -- sorry for the amount of pics.

Been doing a little pre-Spring cleaning and better organization, purging of unnecessary items in shop, trying to make do with scraps and pieces -- and getting ready for the next Season.

While I am no Pilgrim when it comes to working on reels -- there are many folks on this site who have much more knowledge and experience than I do -- but there are also many more that have a little less experience -- and some new folks just starting out -- and these folks may pick up one or two ideas that may be useful to their shop layout and organization.

Not much of a collector -- really just a reel mechanic.

First off -- like Alan's often quoted "Gibb's Rules"...there are (10) rules here that have been developed over a few decades of working on thousands of fishing reels.

You will need to honestly recognize and apply rules that work for you -- not anyone else.

-- Make the system work for you -- don't work for the system.

-- Use vertical space where possible.

-- All tools need their own accessible place

-- Drawers are where tools go to die -- only keep little used, but necessary tools in drawers -- all else out and at arm length reachable without changing positions.

-- Drawers are for consumables -- parts you will use up and replenish as needed.

-- Make use of trashcans -- no litter or clutter -- keep shop clean -- just like an operating room.

-- Put away all tools after job is done.

-- Only work on (1) reel at a time -- if parts are needed, order, bag the reel, get it off the bench -- and into the parts waiting bin.  Move on to the next reel.

-- Your shop may be 90% functional -- but there is always 10% room for ongoing improvement.

-- Enjoy your skills -- relax -- have some music playing, and a comfortable place to take a break.

My working shop is upstairs in our house built in 1930.  There is hot and cold running water 30 feet down the hallway for rinsing.  The room is small, measuring 12' X 12'.

I installed cupboards along one wall that are unfinished as of yet -- 12' X 6' X 18" deep.

An 8' X 3' bench made out of two surplus college drafting tables are on the opposite wall.

So the shop is even smaller, now.

Installed flooring, lighting, a ceiling fan, glass door, and two new windows to the outside.

Bought very few tools new -- nearly everything was from second hand stores, closed reel repair shops, yard sales, family accumulations, retired friends, etc. -- basically used what was on hand.

My hope is that someone will get an idea or two about how to build their own shop on a budget.

Here is the nickel tour --

Best,

Fred

Entrance

Cleaning, greases, etc., top bench linewind spooler

Moving clockwise -- Penn Key# conventional parts up to about 6/0

Shipping Supplies & HD Line Winder

Bench

Main Reference Shop Manuals & Tool/Grease/Oil Carousel

Carousel

Reel parts, less used tools on top, lighted magnifier

Parts

More parts

D.A.M. Quick parts

Mitchell parts

Upper row of less used tools -- containers for used old parts to be cleaned

Pliers, needle-nose, vise grips, screwdrivers, wrenches, hammers, snap ringers, etc. -- used often
[/URL

Parts
[URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/15-100_3743_zps5rjbqqy1.jpg.html]

Handles and drag knobs

Quick parts

The only tools in drawers -- less used, but necessary -- 1/4" sockets, tap & die sets, grinders, files, drill bits, brushes

Tools

Under bench -- large trash can, metal lid bucket for dirty shop rags, paper towels

Dirty shop rags

Cat and Bird proof Mono line discard burn box

Personal relaxing area

Personal relaxing/reading area -- Grandpa James old Rocker re-upholstered

Reels to complete for clients this week

Upper Mirchell spools & Dealer Service Kits

Lower Mitchell spools

Mitchell parts

D.A.M. Quick spools

Penn spools
[/URL

Auxiliary table for staging reels and using cleaning station
[URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/34-100_3762_zpslpsmj0hh.jpg.html]

Restored Penn reels, Penn rings, misc screws and fasteners for shop changes

Ultrasonic cleaner, cleaning tools, reel trays

Ultrasonic cleaner

Parts

20,000 vintage/antique hooks, lures, TLD parts, and old vintage dealer repair kits

Bulk cleaning supplies

Cabinets

Cabinets with bins, melamine shelves

Tunes unit -- remote controlled for multi CD, IPod, radio, iPad, USB stick -- 2 speakers

Most used reference books and manuals

Parts

80,000 D.A.M. Quick parts by number -- going back to 1950

Line spooling station, rolling box with Penn & misc., color magnifying viewer 18x, various modes

Line

Magnifying viewer

Rollaway Box

Penn plates

Penn handles & stands

Penn conventional & spinning parts by number

Misc parts -- this has helped me out of jams so many times!

Penn parts

Lighting & fan

Top shelf

SS scrap held up with chain to make table for cleaning and misc staging

Clock

Another shot

Power tools, drills, Dremel

One of three flashlights

Second of three flashlightd
[/URL

Third of three flashlights -- these are great for looking through parts bins, finding parts that fly away, etc..
[URL=http://s748.photobucket.com/user/foakes1/media/65-100_3793_zpsakwapzjp.jpg.html]

Carousel

Carousel

Carousel

Decorations -- Grandpa & Grandma

View to outside

Grandpa James & Grandma were rockhounds -- they found this out in the desert near Death Valley -- 100,000,000 year old bait

Penn parts

Penn spinner parts

Penn spinner parts

D.A.M. Quick parts

ABU parts

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Zimbass

Hi Fred. I have just one word for your workshop..........................AMAZING !

Jealous Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Alto Mare

Beautiful Fred, that would be my dream shop.
Thanks for taking us for a tour, but I still need to see all of that goodness live one day. ;D
I really like everything you've showed us,  the one that caught my eye was the burn box...very nice buddy, I hope all do the same.
I burn mine outside in a mortar pan.

That panel on hinges with a chain is also a great idea, very simple and  functional.
Thanks again for sharing Fred, I really enjoyed it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I knew before I walked through the door, it was going to be good.
If that is the Nickel tour. Its the best Nickel I ever spent. ;D
I'm glad to see that red handled 12/0 has found a nice spot. ;)
You are indeed the Master of organization and a true asset to this site.
Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Fred ........ SPECTACULAR!!!! I believe your passion and organizational skills are unsurpassed.
............................Lou

Tiddlerbasher

reelrepair123

thank  fred        i follow alot of your ideas, tools in arm lenght reach, put tools away after using, one reel at a time, bag a reel and move on to another if i can't finish the reel i'm working on, all good stuff fred , we all are always trying to learn new ideas, thanks fred.    harryk

Reel 224

Fred; I can see that you have been at it a long time and you have learned how to organize your work. I can say what everyone has said before me, but I won't. I can just say you are a man that obviously cares about detail and very contentious. 

I'm building a work station this weekend and if time allows I will improve on it a little at a time. Thanks for posting those pictures, I will get some ideas from them for sure.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

DaBigOno

Wow!

Thank you for allowing us a peek into your workshop.  I'm in total envy  ;)
And you say "on a budget"

I like the clock, and the lazy Susan turntable,
Al
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

anglingarchitect

Very Nice and Organization is exceptional. You have a lot money in parts.

Jerseymic

CaptainRMF

I think if you looked up the meaning of "PERFECT" in Webster's Dictionary it would have a picture of your work shop Fred !! :D :D It is totally AMAZEING !
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Reel 224

Fred: I see your Auxiliary table for working on reels heading, if you click on it it shows a gray kitten hanging on for dear life to a blanket. That's cute  ;) :)

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

Wow...just WOW!!!

If you ever retire-retire Fred, I may just need to buy your set-up.  It'll be way cheaper than for me to try to get that organized and source all of the parts for the build. 

My wife is asking me to move out of the house so I'm looking to build a shed...a 12' x 12' shed and this may be what I need to consider...windows, sky light, and complete organization.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!