Building Out a Small Tackle Workshop -- On a Budget

Started by foakes, January 29, 2016, 10:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anglingarchitect

I took some pictures of my spot in the garage for repair, not organized or neat, should I post here or start another thread? It should make some feel not as bad after Fred's anal area pictures.

foakes

How about if we change this thread slightly?

(it is not supposed to be about me! That was never the intent, although the compliments were appreciated).

Lets post pics of our individual work areas -- with an emphasis on just 1, 2 or 3 items that we have found works great for us. 

Something we are proud of.

This can be anything from an item invented, purchased, adapted, system implemented, system we want to implement at some point, etc, etc..

The idea is to keep it short and simple -- this will encourage many ideas from the Worldwide Alan Tani family to be brought forward for all to share.

This is fun -- and the ideas and clever inventions for your work areas need to be shared.

It doesn't matter if your bench or work area is a kitchen table, a garage bench, a tailgate, or looks like Mission Control -- it is all needed and appreciated by all.

We all need 1 or 2 fresh, clever ideas -- and we get to help each other this way.

We all want to see your good works.

That is what this site is all about.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Fred!

Un...   Believable workshop you have put together!!!!

Dominick, Alan, Bryan, Jon and all other Bay Area AT.com fans,

It's time for a roadtrip,   NEAH, a pilgrimage, to Fred's place to check out his workshop.

And Fred, you best meet me before you begin to call me a CLIENT! 

Do I spy my surfmaster and Socal black frame SLOSH 20 sitting there???

Really, we all need to get up to Fred's place (sounds like a drinking bar from college!)  and see first hand how he put it all together.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

David Hall

My work area today resembles nothing like my work area of 20 years ago, and it resembled nothing like my work area 20 yrs before that.  It is an evolutionary process which for me began on my kitchen table in our first home in 1973, graduated to a spare room, moved to a 2000 square foot facility, then to a garage where I have resided for the past 31 years, This garage has undergone no less than three major transformations, I used it for more than 10yrs as a commercial custom casework shop, then a combination of wood shop, auto shop then my own private motorcycle repair shop.  Now it serves as storage and work space for my guns, bows, knives, leather work, boat maintenance and occasional wood shop.  Thanks to AT and you all Reel repair was added a little over one year ago and now takes up a lot of space. It essentially serves everything my wife will not tolerate inside the house anymore.  I constantly work on improving the space, in fact just last week I was able to steal a storage idea for all my rods from another AT member that I spotted in his work space when visiting him, (thanks Jon).  it ended my practice of piling rods against the wall or workbench after they come off the boat protecting them from fall damage and clearing floor space.  Its not there yet but its comfortable and constantly evolving.  I think its alive!

foakes

All are welcome, Wayne --

You already know that.

Will be gone for 4 weeks sometime in the Spring for a 8,000 mile road trip back East with Sue.

Might be meeting a few members for a brief time along the way -- depending on schedules.

My shop is really not a big deal -- it is just taking a 12X12 room, using what was on hand, eliminating ANYTHING not dedicated to the job at hand, using plenty of vertical, keeping all tools out where they are useful, organizing just the parts I choose for the types of reels worked on 90% of the time.

Without an encouraging and supportive spouse -- this would not work.  I am grateful & blessed.

The easiest way to explain it, is:

After doing this for decades, I feel that I finally (at least 90%) have a handle on what is really needed for my operation -- clear space, organized parts, organized tools, cleaning station, trash elimination, etc.

I know this may sound corny -- but my hope is that some of the newcomers (and veterans) to  the site will be able to build their own shops out in a few months -- instead of decades -- just paying attention to the many ideas presented by all contributors to this thread.

And we will also learn from them...

Remember, any blade can only be sharpened to 90% -- there is always another 10% for fine tuning and making a finer edge.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Looking good Joe, I can tell it will be just right. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Excellent start, Joe --

Nothing more relaxing to me than having an efficient place to tinker.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

theswimmer

Fred ,
You stated the your workspace is nothing special.
My friend I don't agree with that .
I have been privileged to see your space a couple of times , unbelievable is more appropriate.
I have a couple of working area's and none look like your little room.
Stay warm , snow is coming!
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

surfcaster

Nice Fred, Still working off the kitchen table myself (as we speak) banished to the picinic table on the porch in spring/summer.
shed full of parts closets under bed etc.

swill88

I would take a picture of my work space but I can't find the camera...

it's under some trays of reels and parts somewhere...

steve

Tightlines667

Sure you guys have already seen a picture of my newly updated workspace.  

Doesn't come close to Fred's, but it works for me.

I particularly like my parts storage.

The bench holds 9 Plano 3700 cases full of small parts and will hold 6 Dewalt Deep organizers with removable parts bins, and I have 10 rubbermade bins for larger stuff.  I keep one bin with zip lock bags full of bulk used parts.  I should also have enough room for rod wrapping supplies as well.

I also like mounting bench mounted tools (such as my vice, grinder, line spooling machine, Arbor press) on heavy plywood bases that can be stored away when not in use...

Still a work in progress, ando my workspace would certainly look different if I had a larger space to work with.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

exp2000

Quote from: MarkT on January 29, 2016, 05:44:27 PM
"On a Budget", yeah, a Dept of Defense budget!

:D

I think you might have a point lol.

Looks like many years have gone into this setup.
~

Rothmar2

Have to agree Brett, but even you are pretty well set-up at your place for the work you do (which is top notch).
For everyone out there, Brett (exp2000) is one fascinating bloke, that should be writing books about his life's adventures. I realise it's probably not your style Brett, but credit where it's well due!
Fred, I could only dream of being able to have a workshop such that you have, in my home. My wife wouldn't allow it in 1000 years!

Tiddlerbasher

Following on from Fred's lead - I have just finished making a 'tidy' for my smaller screwdriver bits: No more searching for that elusive bit.

3 fixed torque screwdrivers and 1 variable. These cover the range .4 Nm to 8 Nm (or 3.5 to 70 pound inches). These will accommodate up to PH2/Hex 5mm/Slot 6mm/T25 without stripping. The block of oak was salvaged from my wood store - too good to burn ;D

foakes

Beautiful work, Chris --

And Joe, don't worry about looking at all kinds of options -- that is part of the fun.

It took me a day or two to build the tool carousel -- because I knew what I wanted.

The simple folding table held up by a chain -- took over a year of different ideas -- wife was actually the catalyst on this one.  I was trying to be too complex.  Sue nailed the thought with a Murphy Bed type contraption.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.