Spinator 870 Again

Started by birdfin, January 31, 2016, 05:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdfin

I got a chance and started taking this reel apart.  From what I can see its in great shape except for the fact that the anti reverse isn't working.  After taking the spool of the spindle, I noticed what looked like a spring through the holes.  I fished it out with a forceps and its in the third shot on the left.  I still don't see how to get the rotor off to check out the anti reverse dog.  What am I missing?

foakes

Hi BF --

The Zebco Spinator is the same exact reel (except for color) as the Langley 870 Spinator.

Both from around the late 50s or early 60s.

I do have a few of these out in the outside storage -- but am not sure exactly where -- and it is snowing pretty good right now.

i cannot recall exactly how the rotor (they call it a cowl) comes off --

But I would just try to pull it straight off with a little gentle pressure, or it could be threaded on requiring you to keep the gears in place -- hold the handle -- and unscrew either clockwise or counter -- or look for a tiny keeper screw under the rotor, by the shaft stem.

If no luck -- let me know, and I will track down one of mine and get back with the solution.

Good, half century plus -- old reels.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

birdfin

Thanks Fred,

That makes sense, I'll give it a try.

Midway Tommy

I realize this post is almost a year old, Birdfin, but if you weren't able to get the rotor detached from the body there is a C retaining clip (#19) in a groove in the main shaft tube just behind the pinion gear. Carefully, they can get brittle, remove the clip and slide the pinion gear off and the rotor cup will pull straight off the front of the body. The pawl spring (#36) slips into a grooved ridge on the front of body. Here is a pic of a separated Zebco 850 UL. You can see the groove in the tube where the C clip goes and you if you look closely you can see the pawl spring behind the flange on the front of the body. Spinator is the same principal only a bigger reel.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)