Help with a sticky clutch on an Ambassadeur 5500

Started by birdfin, January 31, 2016, 05:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdfin

I'm sure this topic has been covered here so if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful. SN on the reel is 770900.

Thanks in advance!!!

Tiddlerbasher

Swap out the drag washers for greased carbon fibre :)

johndtuttle

Need more info....

Normally the clutch is referring to the AR Bearing in the handle. If it is beginning to fail it usually *slips*.

If the drag is not paying out line smoothly under load then it can be "sticky". Usually this means it is old/worn or has gotten water in it.

The washer can be rehabbed with a cleaning and greasing depending on type and how old your reel.

birdfin

Sorry,  I guess I need to learn my terminology.  The free spool doesn't engage when the handle is turned after a cast.

akfish

It may be as simple as applying some thin oil under the free spool/clutch button. If that doesn't work, pop open the reel and look for corrosion in that area and clean it if there is any. If these things don't work, odds are that one of the several metal pieces that engage/disengage free spool are slightly bent.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

johndtuttle

Quote from: birdfin on January 31, 2016, 07:38:38 PM
Sorry,  I guess I need to learn my terminology.  The free spool doesn't engage when the handle is turned after a cast.

No worries and that clarification helps immensly :).

If you open the reel and give the thumb button mechanism a good scrub with a toothbrush and some oil it will probably return to function. Its probably just dirty or clogged with old sticky grease.

Sometimes the spring that helps return it fatigues and breaks on older reels too, but until you open it up (take pictures and post them) we won't know for sure.

birdfin

Thanks John, it may take a few days but I'll get it opened up and take some shots of what it looks like in there.  I got a deal on this reel that I wondered about until I tried it out.  Something to keep in mind when I go looking at another "bargain"

nelz

These are a breeze to work on. Just take off the side plate and the entire clutch mechanism remains assembled. I'll bet it's just dirty and in need of some grease. I just bought a "sticky" bargain 6500c and that's all it needed.

alantani

if the anti-reverse dog has a single leaf, replace it with an AR dog that has two. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

birdfin

I got a chance to take it apart and clean it.  Aside from some old grease, there was more than a little residue from what I believe was a brake block in a former life.  Also, I played with it for a while before taking it apart and discovered that there was some in and out play in the handle.  When the handle was in, the reel functioned perfectly.  When I held the handle out from the plate, it would not re-engage for retrieve.  On taking it apart I discovered that the c clip handle retainer was missing, no doubt lost in a former attempt at repair.  Now all I have to do is get a new set of brake blocks and handle retainer c clip.

Thanks for the help and recommendations!!! ;D ;D

johndtuttle

Quote from: birdfin on February 02, 2016, 10:18:26 PM
I got a chance to take it apart and clean it.  Aside from some old grease, there was more than a little residue from what I believe was a brake block in a former life.  Also, I played with it for a while before taking it apart and discovered that there was some in and out play in the handle.  When the handle was in, the reel functioned perfectly.  When I held the handle out from the plate, it would not re-engage for retrieve.  On taking it apart I discovered that the c clip handle retainer was missing, no doubt lost in a former attempt at repair.  Now all I have to do is get a new set of brake blocks and handle retainer c clip.

Thanks for the help and recommendations!!! ;D ;D

Sounds like you are on your way. Get some new drag washers from Dawn at Smoothdrag, grease them up with some Cal's, pop on the c-clip and you have a great reel. Maybe throw some oil on the spool bearings too. :D