80 Popular Free Spool

Started by sdlehr, February 03, 2016, 01:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Picked up this No. 80 on an auction site recently, thought I'd document her clean-up. Based on the round gear box without screw holes this model shares design features with some of Penn's classic early reels, namely the  Sea Hawk and New Port. It's a little different part of Penn history because it has a different way to attach the bridge to the side plate. Instead of the four bridge screws we are used to seeing it has two accessible only from the inside surface of the side plate. First, an introduction:

She had considerable "patina" that I really am not attached to. It will come off in the first soak.

Here's the inside of the right head plate. Notice the two posts anchored in the bakelite - instead of upper bridge screws. Also note the two anchored screw holes for the two screws that fix the bridge plate to the side plate.

The bridge plate only needs two holes for two screws, and the main gear and gear sleeve are fused together as there is no drag mechanism on this knuckle buster.

She cleaned up nicely

The 80 Ocean Side, which this is not, was around from 1935 through 1939. It was absent from the catalogs of 1940-41, and is considered to be rather rare. Then the No. 80 reappeared in the 1942 catalog again as a 250 yd free spool (knucklebuster) reel, the same line capacity as the Ocean Side of the 30's. It was listed as a 250 yard reel only in that 1942 catalog. There were no catalogs 1943-45, and in 1946 the No. 80 was listed as a 200 yd reel. The plastic spool with the larger arbor cut the line capacity by 50 yards; the No. 80 remained listed as a 200 yard reel through Penn catalog #17 (1952-53) when it was discontinued. I think that it was available as a 250yd reel with a metal spool for an extra $1 in the years that the metal spools were available (not during WWII).

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Mattman NZ

Well that little 80 cleaned up well - never seen one in person without the drags .

Rgds

Matt...

foakes

Nice job, Sid --

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

sdlehr

Thanks, guys. She did clean up nicely; an interesting reel because of the way the bridge is attached to the right side plate. This model was only around for a few years. It was meant to be a cheap reel available in large numbers to the masses for a short period of time.
Sid
Sid Lehr

mizmo67

Looks to be in fairly good shape, considering it's age. Nice breakdown.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

PacRat

Sid, Are you going to spool this classic up and fish it? That way you can tell us how hardcore our Grandpas were! If only this old reel could tell stories.
-Mike

mizmo67

I'm not sure modern lines on that old spool will work.
I think the pressure would split it.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

cbar45

Looking good, you have a knack for fishing out these older Penn's.

Chad

Ron Jones

I've fished a similar reel in bays with a plastic spool and it did fine. I'd run 15-20 pound mono and go see about catching some croaker (assuming you live on the SW coast.)
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

sdlehr

I've moved this thread to a new home in a new folder that is more appropriate.

Sid
Sid Lehr

handi2

I have one of those bridges. Now I know what it's for.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Catching Nemo

Hi Guys,

I'm resurrecting this thread, with a question:

Can someone help me to date this Penn 80 reel.

Everything seems to be similar as Sid's 80 posted above, except mine has a textured design for the "PENN" logo and has "250 YDS" stamped on the bottom of the reel stand.

Thanks

theswimmer

Not worth a nickle Nemo.
Send it off to me and I will dispose of it for you.😀
I think it is a little older than the reel Sid was working on but I'm sure one of our dating genius's will pipe up and help.
Nice reel......
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn