Help, Tight spool - Penn Jigmaster 500

Started by AJF, February 03, 2016, 06:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJF

Hi I'm new to this board and I have a Jigmaster 500 that has a issue when I put the reel in motion and I hope someone might have some insight on how to fix this.

When I crank the handle, every rotation of the spool seems to rub on the plate, but I do not see the spool rubbing on the plate. If I tighten down the drag and slightly tighten the screw the spool sits in on the left side plate, it's difficult to turn the handle.
Once I adjust (loosen) the left plate screw and the drag, the spool will turn, but it sounds like it's rubbing on something and doesn't have fluid motion. If I tilt the reel, handle up, then nothing rubs and it seems to spin freely.
Before I took it apart to clean it, it did run smooth. Maybe I'm over thinking it and not realizing I am putting something back wrong or too tight?

Do you have any ideas what might be causing this. This is driving me crazy!

Thanks

Reel 224

Just a guess, but the bearings could wore and that is what is causing the tightness or that adjustment is to tight. You should have slight spool movement from side to side as well as centering the spool.to avoid rubbing on one plate or the other.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

either a badly torqued frame, a blown spool (chrome only) or bad bushings.  those are the most common causes.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AJF

Thanks for your comments.
I do have the slight spool movement from side to side when the screw is loosen on the left plate, but it still rubs. Also the screw is so loose, that you can see the metal spring.

A torqued frame was another thought of mine. So I loosen the screws some, put it back together, same results.

Maybe I'm not assembling it correctly?

AJF

I loosen the screws on the side plate a little and that helped, but still has some rubbing, but not as bad as it was.

Thanks for the help!

reelrepair123

very possible then spool shaft is bent, especially on the handle side, was the reel dropped? a common cause of the shaft being bent, spin the spool in a drill and see if it wobbles alot.   harryk

AJF

Quote from: reelrepair123 on February 03, 2016, 11:55:30 PM
very possible then spool shaft is bent, especially on the handle side, was the reel dropped? a common cause of the shaft being bent, spin the spool in a drill and see if it wobbles alot.   harryk

Thanks for the drill idea, going to have to give that a try and see what happens.

mizmo67

Alan and Harry covered my two ideas on this one. Dropping starts to sound like the culprit, as it could shift the framework and bend the spool shaft. Bent shaft would likely be why you can't clear it 100% by adjusting the frame.

How'd the drill test go?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com