A Tale of Two Conventional Reels

Started by foakes, February 03, 2016, 07:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Going through some old boxes of tackle items --

Found this little Daiwa Mini Coronet reel that was given to dealers back in the 70s or 80s, I think.

It is unused, with the original cloth sack.  One piece frame and aluminum spool!

It is actually smaller than the red handle grip on the old 12/0 Penn -- that Daron restored for me.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coastal_dan

So cool, so was it actually a fishable little giant or was it more of a show pony?  Thanks, as always, for sharing Fred!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

foakes

It was a gimmick (smallest operable fishing reel in the world, if I recall) -- but very fishable -- and surprisingly well made.

Likely good for 40 yards of 2 pound mono.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

You can still buy those.  About $35 NIB.  The small one that is.
-steve

borchcl

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Yogi_fish808

Hahaha, what an awesome juxtapose. I almost want one of those mini daiwas just to have....but jeeze i'd never use it. It's so small i'd probably lose it in the same place all the disappearing dog springs go to.

steelfish

ayayay !!

now thats a tiny reel.. its looks just like those "Pen fishing reels"
The Baja Guy

thorhammer

I'd have to run my thumb through a bandsaw to find that trinket...has anyone heard from my man Dan Herman? top shelf guy.

Cor

Nice one, I need to take my two Grandsons fishing shortly, that will do nicely.
Thanks for sharing!
Cornelis

oc1

Yes, it's small.  But, it will not cast at all and the telescoping rod is very fragile.  It's a curiosity and conversation piece, but you should get the kids some real tackle.  Even the Mickey Mouse Zebco Combo is orders of magnitude better in all respects
-steve

Fish-aholic

Quote from: oc1 on January 11, 2020, 08:34:53 AM
Yes, it's small.  But, it will not cast at all and the telescoping rod is very fragile.  It's a curiosity and conversation piece, but you should get the kids some real tackle.  Even the Mickey Mouse Zebco Combo is orders of magnitude better in all respects
-steve

You are right in regard to the miniaturised conventional is no good for casting with but the little fixed spools teamed with the pen rods can. I got one and was able to cast a bubble float half filled with water about 30ft with bread flake catching sub 5lb carp in a small pond. The drag on the fixed spool that comes with the pen rods does not work properly so had to resort to using the handle backwinding technique to play fish with and was good fun too.

Here's a video example showing they are far stronger than they look...

I bought many things fishing related I have regretted, but the pen fishing rod outfits have been great value! :D