Reel Recommendation: $150-250, Live bait/Casting/All Rounder

Started by Vince, February 03, 2016, 11:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince

Hi all,

I'm new to the board as a participant (but have been lurking as a guest for about half a year now). I'm a CA bay area angler, and have had the privilege of hanging out in Alan's garage over a beer or two while getting a reel serviced. I've typically fished pretty cheap setups, but was thinking it was time to up my game a bit and get a reel that I can hold on to for more than 2-3 seasons. Like the subject line above states, I'm looking for a recommendation on a reel that's...

1) In the $150-250 budget range (new or used is fine)
2) Small enough to use for throwing live bait/surface jigs/casting (for the occasional SoCal yellowtail trip)
3) Function well as a rock cod/ling cod/salmon reel (which is the majority of the fishing I do in the bay area).
4) Reliable (and maybe something that I could learn to service myself regularly... though I'm not a seasoned reel repairman).

I've looked into a number of reels and tried to get a feel for them based on reviews off this site (penn fathom 1/2 speed, daiwa saltists, accurate's new boss fury single drag, avets of various sizes, etc.). Alan recommended an Okuma Andros... other informed opinions would be greatly appreciated!

If you have a reel that you don't use anymore that you think would be a good fit for the job, I'd be happy to purchase used as well. Thanks!

Vince

Bryan Young

Penn Fathom 25NLD2 or Andros would be my choices.  They are both a little out of your price range, but the Fathom is closer to what you are looking for.

Another option is the that is one step down from the Andros is Okuma's Metaloid.  Great little reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

You can get a Fathom 25nld2 for $220 with free shipping.  I paid the full retail of $279 but I wanted it then and there and didn't want to wait for it to come in the mail.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

Not too many good deals at the FHS anymore. I'll be there on Wednesday anyway.  I've been going every year for over 20 years.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Vince

Thanks for the recommendations- I tried searching for an Andros and they seem to be in the low $300 range on ebay/amazon. I've never been to a Fred Hall show, but it might be a good excuse to get down to LA and do some yellowtail fishing (kind of early in the season though).

sundaytrucka

I would recommend the Metaloid 2-speed or the Fathom 2-speed, both are good reels for most jobs.

Fred Hall show...Mark is right, the deals are not that easy to find, some things do help and that is cash and not being afraid to attempt a haggle. Most of the deals will be a good price with some extras thrown in, mainly braid, but not super deals.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

SoCalAngler

Vince,

Do you think you will need a 2 speed reel? For me I don't start to look at two speed reels until I hit the 40 lb test range and even in that line class I only use two speed reels for certain applications.

If you don't need a second gear look at the Fathom 25N star drag reel. Spectra back the reel and add a topshot of what ever line you need for the application you will use the reel for. The 25N can fish 40 lb test but with the 6:1 gears may bea little tough at higher drag pressures.

I have one and fish it with 10 lbs of drag and 30 lb test line with no problems.

If you think you will mostly use 40 lb test on that reel a two speed will give you more versatility in applications for the reel. However if you will mostly use 30 lb test and lower I think a single speed will be fine.

day0ne

Remember, Alan C makes 4.8:1 gears for the Fathom 25N star drag. They work great.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

SoCalAngler

Quote from: day0ne on February 04, 2016, 06:25:21 AM
Remember, Alan C makes 4.8:1 gears for the Fathom 25N star drag. They work great.

Yes they are very nice gears, I even bought a set. I however went back to the 6:1 for my reel.

Vince

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 04, 2016, 06:16:20 AM
Do you think you will need a 2 speed reel? For me I don't start to look at two speed reels until I hit the 40 lb test range and even in that line class I only use two speed reels for certain applications.

@SoCalAngler: I was thinking that if I can afford a two speed and "grow into it" then it would be great to get one, but if the quality of a high end one speed reel is much better than a lower quality two speed, then I'd be all for quality and longevity.

I do often fish 40 lb braid with topshot, but more because I like to be able to muscle any snags off the bottom when I'm jigging for ling cod. I've only recently been getting interested in catching bigger game- LA for yellowfin and yellowtail, San Diego, and maybe Mexico may be on the calendar in the next year or two. Depends on if I can get my fishing buddies to free up their schedules.  :D

Bill B

Vince, I used a Tica Caimen 400 this year for salmon jigging and casting on the Sacramento River using 20 lb mono, caught fish from 8-36lbs and that reel never felt out gunned....I recently picked up an Okuma Halogen 400 and the insides look nearly the same as the TICA.....BTW both reels were used and I purchased both for under $50.....I I were to start chasing larger fish I have my Penn 112h or Squidder 140 for that type of work....as a matter of fact I bought all four used for less than $110.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 04, 2016, 06:47:27 AM
Quote from: day0ne on February 04, 2016, 06:25:21 AM

Yes they are very nice gears, I even bought a set. I however went back to the 6:1 for my reel.

I keep the BP 4.8:1 gears in my FA25N for bottom fishing in Oregon but they change out easy and I had both gear sets with me on the last LR trip.  Fished mostly with 25# on an Avet MX though.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Vince

Quote from: TARFU on February 04, 2016, 03:51:30 PM
Vince, I used a Tica Caimen 400 this year for salmon jigging and casting on the Sacramento River using 20 lb mono, caught fish from 8-36lbs and that reel never felt out gunned....I recently picked up an Okuma Halogen 400 and the insides look nearly the same as the TICA.....BTW both reels were used and I purchased both for under $50.....I I were to start chasing larger fish I have my Penn 112h or Squidder 140 for that type of work....as a matter of fact I bought all four used for less than $110.....Bill

Nice job! Thanks for the advice. Do you usually buy your used reels on ebay or at garage sales? Feels like finding a diamond in the rough is more likely at a garage sale but a lot more time spent looking and not necessarily finding. I haven't fished the Sac yet, I'll have to come up sometime this next season. 

Bryan Young

Quote from: Vince on February 04, 2016, 02:57:54 AM
Thanks for the recommendations- I tried searching for an Andros and they seem to be in the low $300 range on ebay/amazon. I've never been to a Fred Hall show, but it might be a good excuse to get down to LA and do some yellowtail fishing (kind of early in the season though).

Vince, just bring Alan a nice bottle of Scotch and borrow an Andros and his Torq 25NLD2 (similar to the Fathom 25NLD2).  Try before you buy. They are both excellent reels to fish with, and you can't go wrong if you are planning to do SoCal trips.  Sometimes railing the rod and shifting in low gear and winching the fish in is the way to go...especially fishing with a hangover...so I have been told.