Reel Recommendation: $150-250, Live bait/Casting/All Rounder

Started by Vince, February 03, 2016, 11:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

How about a Baja Special or whatever the new name is for it. You can use it for surface iron, yoyo, flyline fishing and even light trolling. It might be a little heavy for what you do locally but will shine when you go down below the border.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Vince, I dont want to give out my secrets  ;D, but a pm will be sent .......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Vince

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 04, 2016, 05:28:09 PM
Vince, just bring Alan a nice bottle of Scotch and borrow an Andros and his Torq 25NLD2 (similar to the Fathom 25NLD2).  Try before you buy. They are both excellent reels to fish with, and you can't go wrong if you are planning to do SoCal trips.  Sometimes railing the rod and shifting in low gear and winching the fish in is the way to go...especially fishing with a hangover...so I have been told.

Ha! I already promised him some 12 Year Lagavulin. I like the smoky stuff ;D. Swing by if you're in the area (not sure where you fish out of). This all might have to wait till the season opens up again anyways, but it's nice to have some time to keep an eye out for any deals.

Keta

Quote from: Vince on February 04, 2016, 06:57:15 PM

Ha! I already promised him some 12 Year Lagavulin. I like the smoky stuff ;D. Swing by if you're in the area (not sure where you fish out of). This all might have to wait till the season opens up again anyways, but it's nice to have some time to keep an eye out for any deals.

Don't give it to Alan until I am almost there, he needs help forgetting 1/2 his gear again this year.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Well Vince then a smaller two speed just may be the reel for you. A Fathom LD 25N II would be nice, also see if you can find a Avet JX II when looking for used gear. For a small two speed and 40 lb test the Avet JX II is my main go to reel.

I'm sure you know one reel will not cover all the different types and applications your looking to do the best but you got to start somewhere.

Vince

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 04, 2016, 09:34:45 PM
Well Vince then a smaller two speed just may be the reel for you. A Fathom LD 25N II would be nice, also see if you can find a Avet JX II when looking for used gear. For a small two speed and 40 lb test the Avet JX II is my main go to reel.

I'm sure you know one reel will not cover all the different types and applications your looking to do the best but you got to start somewhere.

Thanks for the tip on the Avet! Yep, I figure I can't do everything with one reel, but it's nice to start covering a few of the bases!

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

conchydong

Quote from: Keta on February 04, 2016, 05:47:43 PM
The Baja Special is a bit too big for this.

I thought that it may be the case but I threw it out there anyway. I am old school and do not feel the need for a 2 speed reel fishing under 40lb test. Even at 40, most of the time I prefer a single speed unless Tuna over 60 lbs. enter the equation.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 05, 2016, 12:30:44 AM
Avet is a good bait casting reel  ??? ???

Joe

Joe,

I don't think Vince was looking for a bait caster. Maybe I'm wrong but there is not much need for one for the type of fishing he is looking to do other than stuff on a river.

As far as casting bait with a Avet I cast mid to larger sized deans and mack's fine with my JX. For chovies or small deans I use a SX for 20 lb or a Newell 220 or a Monofil 25 for 15 lb test for bait with two eyes and a wiggle (meaning small/micro bait).

Vince

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 05, 2016, 03:31:22 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on February 05, 2016, 12:30:44 AM
Avet is a good bait casting reel  ??? ???

Joe

Joe,

I don't think Vince was looking for a bait caster. Maybe I'm wrong but there is not much need for one for the type of fishing he is looking to do other than stuff on a river.

Yep, SoCalAngler has me pegged- I had thought about a baitcaster a while back until I saw a buddy dripping sweat as he tried to reel a ling cod up with his tiny baitcaster out at the Farallon islands. Granted he didn't have a power handle on his baitcaster, but it looked pretty rough. I figured something with a bit more muscle would likely be ideal for me.

Reel 224

I'm sorry I have not been following this Thread that closely, I thought you were looking for a bate caster. I use an open reel just about for every type of fishing...like the Surfmaster 200 and the Jigmaster 500 and a Diawa Fire Fox. That's is what I thought you were meaning by all rounder. But I live on the east coast.

Joe     
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Vince

Quote from: Reel 224 on February 05, 2016, 08:20:41 AM
I'm sorry I have not been following this Thread that closely, I thought you were looking for a bate caster. I use an open reel just about for every type of fishing...like the Surfmaster 200 and the Jigmaster 500 and a Diawa Fire Fox. That's is what I thought you were meaning by all rounder. But I live on the east coast.

Joe     

No worries Joe, thanks for the input anyways! Appreciate it.

Big Tim

Vince

Quote from: Big Tim on February 10, 2016, 03:34:14 AM
Vince, I to am a fan of the Fathom 25NLDII and these guys can fit your budget.

Thanks BT,

The Fathom's on my short list of reels- I'll be keeping my eye out on prices as we roll into the opening of the new season in April (in this area), and I'll keep adding nickles and dimes to the piggy bank till then. :)