Penn Spinfisher V 4500 Help!!

Started by Bonecracker, February 04, 2016, 03:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonecracker

For some main reason my main shaft of my SF 4500 will not go up and down when handle is turned and this reel is maybe 1 year old. After removing the handle, I took the main cover off and everything looks proper position looking at other tutorials. I can get the main shaft engaged when turning the handle as it will move the main shaft downward. When the oscillation slider hits bottom it will not return upward when handle is turned. Anybody got and thoughts on this it would be appreciated!!

foakes

Hi BC --

A pic of the inside would help a bit for some of the experts on this site.

For me, if everything seemed visually operating with no bottoming out on the inside parts -- and no signs pf scraping or metal bits -- the likely culprit to look at first would be a bent main shaft.

If ever dropped, or fished with braid when the spool was at full outward extension -- then caught on a bad snag -- the shaft would slightly tweak towards the top -- just under the spool.  Then when moving down into the case -- the slight tweak would be enough to cause a binding within the pinion sleeve.

If you can determine this is the case by removing the shaft, and carefully inspecting it with a metal straight edge -- you can either get a new shaft -- or do what I do.  To quickly determine if this is the issue -- just remove the shaft and pinion sleeve -- and try the shaft in the sleeve to see if there is any binding, or not.

I use a hardwood block, like a scrap of Oak, and a heavy nylon faced hammer -- to carefully readjust by tapping it straight -- so there is no tweak.  These are not easy to do.  Patience, plenty of looking from different angles, good light, and a sharp straightedge are a must.

Then clean up the shaft with 220 grit emory sanding tape, after that "0000" steel wool in a drill chuck with a protective covering of electrical tape over the shaft when attaching to the chuck for both of these procedures.

Finish off with a good soak in a cleaning solution.  

Dry it, then use Never Dull to finish it up.

Oil it well, and it should work.

This may not be your issue -- but if so -- this method has worked well for me.

If we think about the nature of spinning reels -- most issues are caused by exterior damage as the reel is used or transported.  Look to those items first.  Handles, spools, shafts, bails, trip levers, poor lubrication, etc.

Let us know whether or not this helps -- and whatever else you may need.

Welcome!

Good luck --

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mizmo67

Another thing to look for besides the bent shaft, is to check the groove on the #43 crosswind block.

It's supposed to be a smooth track. If it's ground down underneath and has developed notches/cuts, it could be hanging up there.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

johndtuttle

Opening the SSV is very simple. Just take off the handle and then the side plate screws.

To take the main shaft off you will see the screws on the cross wind block. Then you can slide the main shaft all the way out and see what is going on with the crosswind block or oscillation gear where the trouble likely is. Something is hanging up and it will probably be obvious once you take a look.

Or, you can send the reel to Penn and they will happily get to the bottom of the trouble for you.

standing by to assist.

alantani

isn't there supposed to be a retaining pin or screw at the base of the spool shaft?  :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on February 04, 2016, 07:35:07 PM
isn't there supposed to be a retaining pin or screw at the base of the spool shaft?  :-\

It feeds into a slot in the rear, but is anchored by the crosswind block IIRC.