Fin-Nor ST50 Sportfisher Video Tutorial

Started by ReelSpeed, February 06, 2011, 05:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

first guess is that the spool shaft is stuck in some corroded spool bearings.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

Thank you for your response Alan.  I should have mentioned these reels are brand new.  I haven't even put line on them yet.

It's like something is not catching right away when I move the clutch lever up from free spool.  Then, all of a sudden, it clicks and is engaged.  I haven't opened it yet.  I'm hoping it's just something that needs to be tweaked inside.
Just a jig-a-lo

alantani

the spool might still not be traveling back and forth correctly.  something is still wrong.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bucktail

Thanks Alan.  I will open it up one day this week and see what I can find out.
Just a jig-a-lo

Bucktail

I finally got a chance to open this reel up.  I did the non-handle side and had no problems.  On the handle side I am trying to put the anti-reverse back together.  Everything goes together fine, but when I turn the drive shaft the pawl on the right (at 5:20 in the video) spins all the way off the anti-reverse.  The pawl on the left seems to have a pin in the frame that stops that one from coming off.  But the right one has nothing. 

I don't believe I messed the tabs up on the pawls.  What am I doing wrong? 
Just a jig-a-lo

Bryan Young

Quote from: Bucktail on September 02, 2012, 03:20:40 AM
Thank you for your response Alan.  I should have mentioned these reels are brand new.  I haven't even put line on them yet.

It's like something is not catching right away when I move the clutch lever up from free spool.  Then, all of a sudden, it clicks and is engaged.  I haven't opened it yet.  I'm hoping it's just something that needs to be tweaked inside.
Either the yoke is handing up on the post or the pinion gear is hanging up on the spool shaft.  Since you got the reel apart, are you able to see what might be hanging it up?

Quote from: Bucktail on September 17, 2012, 03:20:09 PM
I finally got a chance to open this reel up.  I did the non-handle side and had no problems.  On the handle side I am trying to put the anti-reverse back together.  Everything goes together fine, but when I turn the drive shaft the pawl on the right (at 5:20 in the video) spins all the way off the anti-reverse.  The pawl on the left seems to have a pin in the frame that stops that one from coming off.  But the right one has nothing. 

I don't believe I messed the tabs up on the pawls.  What am I doing wrong? 

On some reels, the pawl is held in place by the side cover, and this may be case for your reel.  Just be careful putting it back together, making sure the pawls are on the disk then apply pressure so the paws do not slip from the disk and you will be fine.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bucktail

I really didn't see anything out of the ordinary when I open the reel.  Now that it's back together it still does it a little bit sometimes.  But when I touch the spool, even slightly, it clicks into gear.  I'm thinking (hoping) it will not even be an issue once I put line on it.

As far as the anti-reverse pawls, I took your advice Brian.  I set them in the frame as they should be and just closed it up.  Although I really don't know if it's running on one pawl or two now.

Thank you everyone for your help.

-Bob
Just a jig-a-lo

Bryan Young

It might be that the tolerance between the pinion gear and the spool collar is tighter than it is supposed to be that the pinion gear does not slip easily in place. May need to look for little burrs or even filing own the pinion gear a little.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ReelSpeed

Yep, Brian was right on his first and second post.  The A/R pawl on a lot of reels is held in place by the sideplate.. just have to be careful on installing not to turn the gear shaft. 

Sometimes a round file on the pinion gear can help with the spool engage problem.  Still kinda crummy that you are seeing this on a pretty much new reel!
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Bucktail

Thanks again guys.  I think I will use it as is for now, unless it starts giving me problems.  If I do decide to open it I will try filing the pinion gear.
Just a jig-a-lo